1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gift Card Scam

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Got this from a buddy of mine and thought I would pass this along. Why can't these people use their ingenuity in real beneficial jobs????

"Hey everyone, I know we all get e-mails warning us about this scam or that scam, and I do read those but almost never forward them, well, because they get sent so much that everyone sees them. Well, here is a new one to me, and this is NOT FROM A E-MAIL, it actually happened to me!

Every two weeks, on payday I go to Wal-Mart and get a $100.00 gift card to use at the gas pumps there, keeps me from spending my gas money on toys or ???? Well, on the 1st of oct. I got my card as usual and spent some of it that same day, leaving the rest for the remainder of the week. Last night I went to top off the tank and was told by the computer in the pump "Ballance 0.00" WTF ? ! ? So I go inside the store and ask for a copy of the cards history. They pull it up for me, saying the last $69.05 was spent at store # XX and if I wanted to see a copy of the receipt, go to that store and they could pull it up.

I went to the store in question, and asked for the copy of the receipt, and when they pulled it up, they saked me right away, "Was this card always in your possession?" . I told them yes, they asked my version of the history of the card exspenditures, so I told them what I knew I had spent, even had the gas receipts.

At that time they told me that some people have gotten a card strip reader of the net, and they come in, take a bunch of the FREE gift cards off the shelves, take them home and read the strip to get the card number and pin number, then return the unused cards to the store and watch them by phone (there is a 800 number on the card to call to check your ballance ), and when there is money on the card, they go to the store saying, "I lost my card, but here is the number, I need to combine these cards to one new card." The employee will verify the ballance amount of the card/s with the card numbers they are given, and "Refund" the money to a new card for the thief to use at any wal-mart! !

The good news in my story is that Wal-Mart is aware of this, and at least in my case, returned our money to us... but they did ask if I wanted Cash or Gift Card ! DUH!

Anyway folks, DO NOT USE GIFT CARDS FROM WAL-MART or any company that leaves them out on the shelves for free! I know there are other scams out there with gift cards.... so be careful , especially with the Holidays coming up soon!"

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. That's new.

I'm not sure this thief is smart, this scam involved multiple exposure on Walmart security cameras, and actual face to face with Walmart employees over just few hundreds or maybe a thousand dollars. And it'll not work repeatedly. Kind of stupid in my book.

Buying or using gift cards doesn't work well for me, I tend to lose them or expired before I remember to use them. And I don't like to prepaid my bills.

I have a gift card from Ikea dated Christmas 2004, I used it 6 times, still got couple hundred dollars on it, keeping the card in safe place while remembering to bring it to Ikea is a challenge to me.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Like Steve, gift cards just dont work for me either. I have misplaced too many and that means you are out the money

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Most Walmart security sucks. I worked there one winter and they refused to prosecute shoplifters. I caught two, they walked them to the door and told them to never return, I knew one of them and saw him in there many times later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2015 gift card scams
gift card scam 2015

gift card scam 2015 forum

scams adding amounts to gift cards