1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Giant millipedes attack in Sparta! (Winston)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Neil Winston, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Necrographers from the Illinois Department of Vital Statistics have been heartened by the precipitous drop in the deaths resulting from the bites of huge spiders in Sparta we all read predictions about on TS.com. However, the total lack of them in the last five years has had them worried – where have they all gone, and have they, as so often happens, just attracted their own new predator which is worse yet?

Their worst fears have been realized. Now that the spiders have almost all been eaten, their nemesis, a hitherto unknown specie of enormous millipedes, has had to expand its prey to include humans, the most prevalent source of high-quality protein. Living in the subterranean maze of sanitary sewers of the campgrounds, the wily polypeds have developed a strategy of emerging at night and entering campers by stealth. Little is heard but in the morning, when someone is late for a squad, this is commonly found:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> enormouus-millipede-web.jpg </a>

And in the camper remains little more than, in the words of a practically catatonic EMT, "bleached wetsuits."

It just gets worse and worse.

Neil

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Giant millipedes attack in Sparta (Winston)

The bugs are taking over. Most of the good insecticides have been banned. Save the animals and screw the humans. That's what the powers to be are doing. HMB

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

That does it. If it's not the wind, it's the heat and if it's not the heat it's millipedes. I wonder if there's any truth to to the rumor regarding swarming flocks of woodpeckers swooping down and pecking up gun stocks when they are left unattended in the gun racks. I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

Just all the more reasons I'M NOT GOING!

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The heat there must be debilitating.

5. bernardara

bernardara TS Member

I wonder if that is what is meant by (THE MEEK SHELL INHERIT THE EARTH) LOL

6. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Neil,

You spent the time and money to go to the Grand to shoot 100 targets on Tuesday.

What's wrong with this picture? I have a shooter that would have loved to go and would have shot every event.

It's no wonder that the numbers keep going down. The Grand is turning into one big family reunion...Neil personally why didn't you shoot caps and singles today? Health?

I think there needs to be a better accounting system to accurately record the number of ATA members at the Grand. Has anyone considered taking numbers at the gate or offering a drawing to capture membership attendance?

TNCoach

7. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Neil,

The millipedes you have shown are not unique to Sparta. I saw several of these at the New York State shoot this year. I will admit they were some what smaller than the giant ones in your photo. Probably a sub-species.

I have done some research and found that the smaller size is due to the colder weather found in upstate New York. There is a relationship between cold and size.

Break all the orange ones.

Dr. Honk

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Neil, do you recall an old Vincent Price movie titled "The Tingler"? Your 'millipede' reminds me of that movie.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I've watched guys spend much time setting those up, getting the pitch just right, all straight and proper. Mine works just fine laying on the ground.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hey, now, if the old guys weren't fiddling with their sewer lines, they'd be doing something else like whining about the color of targets, if they were 2 or 3 hole, which way to turn from position 5, hog calling, etc.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Neil,

You might want to be cautious about those Millipedes. I suspect that there could be a gas given off by them, that could have an adverse effect on humans nearby. Might be the reason that someone would become slightly deranged and post millepide pictures on some shooting forum, rather than be out shooting. Could be the heat also. I would strongly suggest staying away from the Millipede fumes and staying out of direct sunlight.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

hmmm.

TNCoach....we're far off topic, but I'm curious, so I'll ask. What does Neil going to the grand and only shooting 100 birds on a particular day have to do with you having a shooter who would have gladly gone and shot all the events?

There's no limit on the number of shooters, is there?

I mean, its not like its a lottery system (like a deer tag, for example) where we limit the Grand to 1000 shooters and Neil won and got to go, and then only shot 100 birds while your shooter didn't get drawn but if he had, he would have shot them all.

I guess I don't understand your point. Seems like the optimal situation would be for Neil to shoot his 100, and for your shooter to go and shoot them all, right?

If Neil wants to shoot 100 or 200 or 1,500 during his trip to the Grand, that should be his perview....

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Leo has not shoot any singles targets either.

Maybe they have better things to do, or they are being smart. In any case, it is their business.

We tall about Grand attendance. That may be a good number for vendors, hotels, and restaurants etc. Do we start to measure Grand "success" based on target thrown?

If the $100k prize has made Leo decide he needs to conserve himself, and not "waste" his effort/time shooting every event, he has made a smart move. Especially if he wins the big prize.

Anyway, I just bought a 5th wheel so I will my own centipede to worry about now.

Don Verna

14. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Jeff P,

I've already spoken with Neil and sent him my prayers for a speedy recovery, but what is a "perview" and does it have something to do with Ertz since he seems to fully comprehend your post?

TNCoach

15. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

TN Coach -

Way off base regarding your comments about Neil and his shooting schedule. There is absolutely no connection between what Neil shoots, or what anyone else shoots for that matter, and what you or someone you know can shoot.

If you want to shoot, show up, sign-up, and shoot. If you don't want to, or are not otherwise able to, you probably shouldn't come on here and blame someone else for your inability to shoot at the Grand.

I'm pretty sure there is already a good system to capture how many ATA members show up at the Grand. In fact you can slice it a number of different ways. RJ Stuart tracks the number of shooters classified (2,458 when I checked a few minutes ago). You can also see the number of shooters participating in each event on his site. I guess if you want to know how many ATA members showed up but didn't classify or shoot there is no way to get that number - although I'm not sure of the relevance. I'm pretty sure the Grand is primarily trying to attract shooters.

It would be good if you would explain your comments regarding Neil's participating and how it impacts you and the shooter you know. A number of us see no connection, but maybe you can explain what we are missing.

Scott

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

TNCoach....

"perview" means its within his area of responsibility or authority.

In other words, I thought it was Neil's responsibility to decide how many targets Neil should shoot in a given day.

I have some sympathy for your shooter (who I assume is a junior shooter) who would like to attend the Grand and would apparently be happy to shoot all the events.

But I fail to see the relationship between that shooter not attending the Grand and Neil only shooting 100 birds on a given day. As have several others.

Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.