1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Giacomo Sporting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Battue, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battue

Battue Member

I have always had extremely satisfying experiences dealing with Giacomo Sporting. They have always exceeded my expectations in the areas of quality, price, and delivery. Since this was the case, I never hesitated to recommend them to friends who needed service performed on their Perazzi’s.

Last October I recommended them to a friend who immediately shipped his gun off. He has called for updates over the past few months and has received various answers on the status of the gun and expected return dates. Now when he calls he gets a recording saying basically, “We will get everyone’s guns completed as soon as we can.” Six months is much, much longer than I remember for a turnaround from them.

Does anyone know if there is an issue with the organization or someone that can be contacted to get the “real scoop” on the status of this gun?

Pat

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have heard similiar complaints since Giacomo took a back seat in the company. I think his son or nephew is running the show now. Evidently customer service is not the priority it once was?

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I talked to Giacomo at the Southwestern Grand last week. His son-in-law is now carrying the business. I understand your concern as all you can get right now is a recorder. Has anyone sent them an email for his daughter to respond to?? I will send one and give you whatever feedback I get. Rick

4. romie

romie Active Member

If you get it back Dougs Gunshop is good and fast.
    Monty

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Battue...... Check your PM... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I have sent an email to Giacomo's with your concerns. I will let you know what the reply is. Rick... Texas

7. ZeDE

ZeDE TS Member

There is no problem. Only difference now is a perfect English. Got my barrels back,repair and blued-Superb.
    ZeDE

8. Art D

Art D Member

where is Dougs gun shop and has anybody dealt with them before.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I just got off the phone with Giacomo's Sporting.. Dan is working full time.. and often into the evening to keep up.. As many of you know.. Allen died last year.. and his spot has not been replaced.. Add to that.. fewer new gun sales and many shooters are rebuilding what they have to get another season or two out of it.. It's alot of work..and Dan will not cut corners.. Everything will be done to perfection..

I will be at the Grand the entire time..and promise you..everything that can be repaired while we are there will be done quickly..and up to Giacomo's and Dans usual high standards.. I only ask you to make out a list of what you need done..and your full contact information..

I be there to make the process as enjoyable as it can be.. Only happy customers.. All Good.. and everyone.. thanks for being patient.. its getting better.. All Good.. Mike

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Here is the email response I got from Giacomo's. They answered my note to them VERY quickly.>>>>>>>>
    We can not tell you how much we appreciate your e-mail and concern.

We greatly apologize that you were unable to get through to us via telephone. At the present time, unfortunately we are short a few workers and are working day and night, 7 days a week and 16 hour days, to get caught up. ( One of our gunsmiths, Alan, passed away in September and have since been unable to find a suitable replacement ) Currently there are only two of us doing all this work - in which we are so blessed to have.

Therefore, the turn around times have increased. Due to the current economic status, gun sales have drastically decreased and therefore the number of people wanting their current guns restored has skyrocketed. We are still producing the highest quality job as in the past. Since sacraficing quality for a quick turnaround is NOT ACCEPTABLE to us, we have increased our turnaround as we take pride in every single job.

We are confident that our loyal customers will understand and support us.

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

When you send a gun to Dan, you will get the best back! Quality takes time.

Matt

12. Battue

Battue Member

Thanks everyone for the information and courteous replies.

As luck would have it, it appears that the gun is nearing completion. My friend received a call, late this afternoon, with the status of the gun, a thorough apology, and a very reasonable bill. I am sure the gun will look great when it arrives. I hope that Dan can find the help that he needs to continue the fine legacy of this business and take a few days off.

It is nice to hear that not all businesses are suffering as a result of the economy.

Pat

13. joehunter

joehunter Member

Dan and I are very close friends and he is working 7 days a week to get caught up. He brought a lot of work back from Florida with him. People need to be understanding. You will be very pleased with the work done. Dan will always do quality work, sometimes quality takes time.

Joey

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

But, is shaking his hand at the GAH worth 5 birds like Giacomo was...

Dan does good work...

15. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Have sung Giacomo's praises for many years BUT at SWG had trouble
    with TM1. Friend took to Perazzi while I finished with backup gun.
    When going to Perazzi was informed that barrel which was a knockoff
    wasn't fitted properly and there was an issue with lock block. Also
    shouldn't have foam between barrel and forearm because barrel wasn't
    fitted properly. I knew barrel wasn't Perazzi and so did Giacomo.
    Giacomo did all original work. U figger it out.

Doyal Duncan

16. zinger

zinger Member

I'm not quite understanding what you're saying Doyal? Can you explain? Nobody touches our guns but Giacomo or Dan..PERIOD! I would rather wait and have it done right than go anywhere else. Sorry to hear about Allen's passing.

17. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I gotta say something here. I bought my pride and joy last December, call it my christmas present to self. Ok, so it isn't a fancy MX, but I love my SC1T all the same. Kinda like owning a 400i, people may give you crap but you are driving a Ferrari. Anyway, during my research I discovered Giacomo. I watched a few postings here and at the end of January sent them my gun for a tune-up and some other odds & ends stuff. I was out of the country for February and called them around the second week in March. I was told I was in line and they would get to my gun as soon as possible. I had heard through the grapevine they were really busy, so not a deal. I called a couple more times and was told the same thing, your on the list or we are working on it. Finally my gun arrived home a couple of weeks ago..

Now, I asked for a tune-up and a new recoil pad to be put on. I also wanted the ejector springs removed. And I needed a cap as well. What I got was a brand new gun. The chip on the top of the stock by the safety had been filled and coated. The teeth marks where the previous owner had put the stock in a vise to do something were all smoothed out. Everything was oiled to perfection and completely ready to go. As I said, the gun looked brand new!

This was way more work than I requested and the cost for the work was way less than I had planned on. In fact, if you take out the gun case and cap, I got off really cheap. This kind of attention to detail and workmanship will keep me coming back for years to come. It may take time to get it done, but I'll learn to be patient. And I will admit when the snow started melting I was really getting itchy to get to the range, but it was worth the wait.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to add my experience.

Hal Hitchcock

18. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

I left three separate phone messages with a person at Giacomo asking for Dan and three times was told, "He is with a customer and will call you right back." This was over a three day period and I am yet to get a call back.

19. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Your gun may take a little time, but it will surely be well worth the wait. Dan had my MX3 Special for a couple months (Jan/Feb) and when I got it back, I was amazed. I could have sold my gun "as new." I didn't recognize the wood. They do amazing work -- I don't care how long it takes -- I will send my gun to them again whenever I need to.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.