1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost image of barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FlHusker, Aug 19, 2013.

1. FlHusker

FlHusker TS Member

I am a right eye dominant, right handed shooter, who until recently closed my left eye while shooting because I would see "ghost image of barrels and rib in my vision. I don't look at my rib or beads while shooting as my eyes are looking above them. For the most part 16's go ok, caps and doubles not so well. No matter what gun I pick up, its all the same, and has always been that way. Have a sight blinder on the end of the rib, new prescription lenses. So what causes someone to see the "ghost image" Any input please, Thanks Mike

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Eye dominance is not a black & white, yes or no thing but rather can have shades of gray between left or right eye dominance. You can go to Phil Kiners website and look at his blog for some ideas on solutions. If your scores are better with the tape patch on your off/shoulder eye after you have shot about 2000 targets without the patch, this result should tell you something. You should send an email to Phil for help on this.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When you see the ghost image, is it one or 2 images? If it's one, that's OK, as it is a reference to the bird/bead relationship.

If it's 2, keep shooting with one eye.

4. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

Mike is right on. My dominance shifts to my left eye intermittently. Tke patch is my crutch when it gets too troublesome.
    Right handed and right eyed.
    Good luck.
    ML Johnson

5. MOP

MOP Active Member

You might try a stock with more offset to get your right eye more directly over the barrel. Worked for me.

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

You see the "ghost image" because you have both eyes open, and you're focusing on the target. That's how it works...

7. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I use to get that. A friend told me to blink a few times or squint the non dominant eye
    for a while. I did that, then one day I noticed I was shooting with both
    eyes wide open and the problem was gone. Worked for me.

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Seeing the bead/barrel in the "ghost image" is good..you want that, however never look directly at the bead even when first mounting the gun.....I am sure there are others that will not agree with this..Smokit

9. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

Seeing two barrels is a natural phenomenon,it is called " natural diplopia" and
    occurs when we have an object close to our eyes, in our case the gun!
    Shooting with both eyes open is the best for moving targets.

To overcome the "double barrel image" you must train your visual perception to ignore the "ghost" image!

Unfortunately too many people just eliminate one eye, by blocking it, using tapes, dots,patches etc and cutting the binocular vision to monocular vision.

The XDS eliminates the "ghost barrel" beside its main function to deal with
    eye cross dominance and cross firing.

Once you are trained visually you can shoot both eyes open without being distracted by the "ghost" image.

Good luck!

10. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Shoot the bird with the barrel on the left (assuming you are right handed)

11. us820

us820 Active Member

AA across the board seeing a ghost barrel every shot.Took me 3-4,000 rounds to get off the dot.

12. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Smokit and Targetchip, have good points.

You need to be more specific if you are seeing 2 barrels with one being a "ghost barrel" or just one "ghost barrel" that is out of focus.

First case your dominate eye is not completely dominate, this can lead to cross firing. This is me. I found that a fiber optic sight with a tube or channel works for me. Only the correct barrel has the sight glowing out there. I like Meadow Industries Vari-Brite-Site III. Move the glow bead to were it needs to be and pull the trigger. This is not for those that are distracted by the bead and cannot focus on the target.

Second case your focus on the target is not 100%, this is good because you have a conscious reference when you miss. I found that when my focus is 100% it is great if I am hitting the target. However, when I miss I have no idea where and do not know how to adjust. It is interesting that even with glow bead sometimes my focus is 100% and I have no recollection of seeing the bead.

Jason

13. Willimon1

Willimon1 Member

So it is normal for a two eyed shooter to see the second bead-barrel? When I do the eye dominance test my right eye is dominant. When I mount my gun its like I go cross eyed. I see two beads to barrels. Is this normal?

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I went to renew my drivers license and flunked the eye test, I was reaching for my glasses and she said, you dont have a glasses restriction now so try closing one eye. I passed

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

As has been stated, it is normal to see a ghost barrel. There are two things you need to do which should solve this issue. First, put 100% of your focus on the target. Look at it hard with both eyes open just like you would look hard at a real bird way out there that you were trying to identify what kind of bird it is by it's flight profile. Second, quit fussing about the ghost barrel. By fussing about it you are teaching your brain that this ghost barrel is important so pay attention to it. Focus on the target and ignore the ghost barrel. It has no relevance to your success (except in the negative) so quit giving it importance that isn't justified. When you focus hard out at the target and ignore the ghost barrel your brain will eventually get the message that the target is important and the barrels/bead aren't, and will begin literally blocking the ghost barrel, and the real one, and the bead from your view. When you practice ignoring the barrels and bead you will soon find yourself simply not seeing them at all. For as long as you place importance on them you will continue to see them. When you ignore them they will eventually simply disappear because your brain has learned they are irrelevant and destructive to your success. All this assumes you don't have a genuine weirdity in your vision.

16. targetchip

It is the moment to clarify this " double barrel" issue.

There are two different "double barrel" instances:

Do not take mistakenly "eye cross dominance" as " natural diplopia"

Natural diplopia( double barrel) is common for " normal" and eye cross dominate people alike.

If for the "normal" people "the double barrel" can be seen two parallel or superposed barrels, for eye cross dominate people, the " double barrel" is crooked !!!
    Don't confuse the natural" double barrel" image by calling it "eye cross dominance"!

17. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Helpful discussion. Thanks.

18. Willimon1

Willimon1 Member

I see the crooked barrel and the side of the rib. So I guess I'm cross dominant? I will continue to shoot one eyed

19. targetchip

willimon1, first, do an eye dominance check.

The XDS is the only one device that allows you to shoot using both eyes and
    from your handedness side.!

20. targetchip

Mah66, congratulation for your 100 /100. I will not comment your experience but
    regarding the XDS I am sure you did something wrong. Even if you block totally one eye, the other one can see the target! Do the thumb up test and you will get the same result!

many having the xds are happy with it: "I tested the XDS for the first time today.....First some background.......

I normally shoot with tape on my left lens. About 1 1/2" along the top of the lens.

Today, I had very good results using the XDS for the first time. I had to play around with the position of the bracket and the size of the blinder but I shot better scores and had consistently better breaks than I've been getting recently. This could be a game changer for me as it was nice not to have tape on my lens while at the range. Most importantly, I enjoyed the time in between shots where I didn't have look through tape while waiting for my squadmates to shoot. My eyes felt more relaxed and natural during the entire 12-14 minutes of the round."
    godawgs

" I won the Wounded Warrior Shoot 2013 here in Florida with XD unit on my K-80 TS.

It was 50 handicap on a cool day with a strong and gusty north west wind almost right in your face. I hit 47 x 50 from 27 yards.

I have the little blocker screen about as small as I can make it and I could hold high and look down toward the trap. I can't do that at all with tape on the lens. It really helps as I only see one barrel with it on the gun. lol."
    Terry Jordan

for kids: Texas story:

".... I missed my 4H Team practice. My new shooter who had bought and installed an XD, and who was crushing targets with did not have on his gun yesterday. He shot like crap too, 12/25. When I asked him why he took it off, he said Mr. Woody (one of the other coaches) told him too....said he did not need "that crap" on his gun.

I put it back on. He shot 23/25. We went over to talk to Mr. Woody, who said he just could not see the hard left trap targets and he only shot 9/25 in trap. Short story...that was the first round of trap he EVER SHOT....and he shot it with a squad of our 4-5 year experienced shooters and NO COACHING. So, we shot a round of trap and did some coaching...he shot 17/25. Second round, after he figured out the barrel is never very far away from a trap target, he shot 21/25. We all agree the XD stays on the gun from now on....skeet, trap, sporting clays, or 5 stand!"

"I bought one of your first units, put it on and broke a 98. Haven't started shooting yet this year. Your system works better then tape on my glasses. I can use both eyes again, after a number of years with a cross firing problem your system just might be the answer. Thanks for a new product that is for sale at a reasonable price."

Jerry

Search tags for this page

ghost barrel

left eye dominant but right image is ghost