1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ghillie Suits Work

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "....alcohol may have been a factor...."

Ya think?

And for the record, ghillie suits were made originally to hide game keepers and hunters, not military snipers.

From Wikipedia:

The name was derived from gille, the Scottish Gaelic for "servant" or a "lad". In English, this term was especially used to refer to those assisting in deer hunting, deer stalking or fly fishing expeditions in the Scottish Highlands. The name may also reference the traditional Scottish deity of trees and the forest, Ghillie Dhu.

The ghillie suit was developed by Scottish gamekeepers as a portable hunting blind. Lovat Scouts, a Scottish Highland regiment formed by the British Army during the Second Boer War, is the first known military unit to use ghillie suits. In 1916, Lovat Scouts went on to become the British Army's first sniper unit.
  2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    My heart goes out to the 15 and 17 year old girls that hit him. They will have to deal with the emotions for the rest of their lives. Not good.

3. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Combine a dumb idea, alchohol, teenage drivers - sounds like this was almost bound to happen. And I agree with Chuck, it is a shame someone's foolish idea would cause these two to endure what they will go thru. I assume an adult was with the 15yo - just as emotional for them I suspect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.