1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting used to a new BT-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dotis, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotis

dotis TS Member

Been shooting trap for 3 months, got hooked after the first round, been using a Remington 1100 28" vent full choke. With the 1100 I have been scoring low 20's. Got a 1978 BT-99 basically new not used much totally stock with 32" modified and 34" full barrels. I shot with the 32" from 16 yds, and couldn't hit a thing, horrible scores of 10. I shot at a pattern board at 16 yds after my dissapointing outing and was shooting about 60% of the pellets high, when using a figure 8 sight pattern. Any suggestions?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your new gun shoots high out of the box. I own several BT 99's and a BT 100. and they all shoot high but all shoot different. Your gonna have to get used to this new frame of thought when shooting now. Shoot the bottom of the bird.----Matt

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Put the 32" barrel away. Use the 34" full, and go do some pattering at 35 yards. Wayne

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Right now friend.. you're stuck in the middle.. From being a neubie.. to being a great shot.. The Remington 1100 usually shoots dead flat.. The BT-99 shoots higher.. and fits differently.. If you add some height to your front bead.. your POI will drop.. As you progress..you'll want a higher shooting gun...but not today.. First.. and I think everyone will agree.. PUT all other guns down.. Dance with only one girl..and she'll treat you right.. and be sure the stock fits you.. Hit'em all... Mike

5. dotis

dotis TS Member

I was wondering about the 34" barrel, I quess it makes sense to use it and get used to it and forget about the 32"modified? That way I get used to one and stick with it.

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

Pattern them both, with the same shells, from the same distance and see if there is a difference in where they are shooting. If they are both shooting to the same POI, there's no reason to change if you prefer the 32".

7. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Don't despair. I did the same thing with a BT-99 a few years back when I was shooting a 391 sporting clays gun. Sold the BT-99 and kept shooting sporting clays and skeet. Two months ago, I figured I would give it a go again, bought a Guerini Summit trap gun. Shot a 10 at 16 yards, first time out. 1000 shells later I am smoking them with a full choke from 16 yards and practicing from 27 yards (70%ish). Just got to figure out the sight picture. Good luck and stick with it.

8. dotis

dotis TS Member

Shot again tonight, I first patterned at exactly (rangefinder) 35' it was showing 70% high with figure 8 on target. First round I tried floating the target, missed 50%, on the second, I tried just focusing on the target, figure 8 with one eye to make sure the gun is up the same each time, then opened both eyes and called pull, followed until I saw the bird good and shot, did much better, tried the same thing rounds 3,4,5 and 6, it just got better, by round 4 I shot 20, 5 was 21 as was 6. I previously had trouble with the straight away shots with the 1100, now I powder them, previously I had no trouble with the ones going hard left or right, but those are the ones I am missing now. So I feel a lot better now and this was only my second time out. I think I'm going to like the BT-99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.