1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting the Stock off of a Browning XT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoosier, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Trying to get the stock off of a Browning XT. What size is the stock bolt that holds the receiver onto the stock? Thanks, Hoosier

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If it's the Browning adjustable comb unit I want to say 5mm allen head. Not sure on the standard stock.

3. Smitty82

Smitty82 Member

Wireguy is right on the money you need one six and a half inchz long. I made one by cutting a 90 degree Allen and sticking it into a socket with an extension on a 1/4" ratchet. You need around 3 1/2" for the Allen to reach the bolt. Nick A.

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Thanks guys. I couldn't figure out what size I needed. I will make me allen wrench up to fit. Hoosier

5. willing

willing Member

The Monte Carlo needs a blade screwdriver.I had a friend solder/weld a nut on top of the screw so I could use a socket.

Bill

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I had a friend solder/weld a nut on top of the screw so I could use a socket."</i></blockquote>Clever idea...but sticking with a well-shaped flat blade screwdriver prevents over-tightening the bolt and possibly cracking the stock. It takes SERIOUS grip strength to apply more than 5 ft-lbs. (60 in-lbs) of torque with a 1-inch diameter screwdriver handle. You'll be hard pressed to find a torque screw driver on the market that reads more than 45 in-lbs. Even a 1/4" drive ratchet handle can apply twice that much torque...which is too much!

Also explains why Browning (and others) uses a small 5mm Allen socket bolt and a long wrench...it twists when it gets tight and stops tightening.

Keller

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

If you know some one that has a Perazzi tool kit, that's the ticket. Just used one yesterday to tighten mine.

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

When tightening or loosening the stock bolt, ensure that the shotgun receiver is secured. Holding just the stock instead of the receiver puts rotational force on the "ears" of the stock where they align along the side of the receiver...this can result in a upper or lower tang crack.

Remember, the stock bolt screws into the receiver, not the stock.

bluedsteel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.