1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Started Shooting ?s

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BassMeat, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassMeat

BassMeat Member

I used to shoot when I was a teenager with a field gun and have recently decided to get back involved in shooting. I have shells loaded, have a reloader and plan on loading more. However, I want to buy a trap specific type of gun but don't want to spend a lot. I am looking to not spend more than $1000.00. Anyone have any good suggestions for a gun? Looked at some used 1100's, 391's, etc. Also seen a few guns made by Remington/Spartan; are these pretty good guns? I will most likely upgrade guns within a year or so, just looking for a cheaper way to get back in.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Browning BT-99...end of story. But it now, shoot it for a year, then sell for the same $$$ or pretty damn close.

3. BassMeat

BassMeat Member

I have been looking for one, but it has not been the easiest gun to come by. Any suggestions on where to look?

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Check here often, they are offered for sale frequently. Better yet, post a WTB and you will most likely find a willing seller.

Robert

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you buy a used gun, shoot it before you buy it. Find one that is pleasant to shoot and breaks alot of birds. HMB

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

There are BT99's offered for sale all the time here. Look at the FS ads. Someone is selling a 2-barrel BT99 with case for $1050 shipped. Probably the beast deal right now. Or do a WTB post, they are plenty so you should not have a problem finding one in your price range.

Here are some that I saw quickly:
    http://www.trapshooters2.com/webtv/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=200947
    http://www.trapshooters2.com/webtv/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=201864

Here is a REALLY nice Plus model:
    http://www.trapshooters2.com/webtv/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=201743

7. BassMeat

BassMeat Member

I appreciate all the information. I just actually had a gentleman call me in regards to a BT99 here locally. Gonna check it out.

The one question I wanted answered is what does everyone know about the Remington Spartan single shot and O/U guns?

*The reason I ask is I have a buddy who is wanting to get it really cheap and we seen these guns.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bassmeat: You didn't mention that trap would be the only "clay target" game you are planning to shoot. However, if you might want to try sporting clays or trap doubles; naturally the Bt-99 is not the choice. I would look around for a used 1100 or Beretta semi-auto trap with choke tubes. This setup will allow you to "sample" all of the clay target games and would be within your budget. When it comes time to "upgrade" you will not lose a lot of $$. I see motordoc and bigdogtx, on this forum; have used 391's in your price range. That might be what you are looking for. I would stay away from any "cheap" O/U. Nothing but problems and once you have one; you can't give them away, when it comes time to upgrade. JMHO. Ed

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money on the Spartan. It isn't something you will be happy with and will have a hard time getting your money back when you decide to upgrade.

A M1100 trap model is a great place for you to get into the game. These guns come up for sale on this forum regularly and even really nice tricked out ones are well within your price range. If and when you want to upgrade you can sell the gun for about what you paid fairly easily.

10. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I shot a winchester select energy for about 2 and a half years, I don't think winchester makes them anymore, but you can find used ones for under $1000. I highly reccomend it for a beginner. I had 30,000+ rounds through mine without a single problem, and when i decided to upgrade, I got pretty close to the same as i payed for it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.