1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Rocked

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spenwall50, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

I have a Browning Citori Trap, with monte carlo stock and 32" barrels. I shoot it very well, mainly protectors. After maybe five games and making a few shootoffs, my face feels like it has been rocked by a boxer all night or something. The sight picture is perfect when I close my eyes and mount the gun. Everything lines up. Is this attributed to gun fit? being 24 years old, I can handle it , but the next morning is sort of miserable. Any possible remedies/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Spenser

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A pitch change in your stock is needed. If you have a local stock guy, he should be able to fix you up.

ss

3. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

There are a couple things that could be contributing to something like this. A photo or 2 of the stock and a simple description of your height/weight might help you get some meaningful suggestions.

Mike K

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

A couple of questions:

1. What shells are you shooting?

2. When you close your eyes, mount the gun, and open them and everything is fine, have you ever done this in a mirror? Are your eyes pretty level or have you tilted you head a lot to make the beads line up?

Neil

5. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

MKillian, I dont have access to a camera right now but I am 6'0" and 220.

Neil, I usually shoot federal top gun 1oz #7 1/2's. Not too hard of a shell I don't think. Just mounted the gun in the mirror, eyes seemed pretty level. Perhaps a pitch change as SS suggested?

Thanks, Spenser

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow, mild 1 oz. loads causing that much trauma for a decent size guy? That's very odd unless the gun fit is horrible or the gun is super-light. I'd definitely try a couple different guns. 1 oz. loads should cause zero pain unless you shoot 300 rounds a day.

-Gary

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I doubt it, frankly, Spencer.

How does the gun seem to fit on/in your shoulder? If it seems to hit with about equal pressure near the top and near the bottom, I'd look elsewhere for a solution.

Only if it concentrated most of its pressure near the bottom of the pad would I even try anything pitchwise, and then only with loosened screws and shims; no saw, no sanding.

One thing you haven't mentioned is where the recoil pad is, relative to the comb. You didn't dial in a whole lot of drop "to keep you head up" or anything like that, did you?

Neil

8. Stonge

Stonge TS Member

I had the same thing with a 686s beretta beautiful gun, wrong fit. I actally got a black eye once from shooting in excess of 200 shells in an outing. I could have had the gun reworked atlthough I picked up many new berettas and the same thing. The angle from the stock to the receive was way wrong for me and I needed to tilt my head on top of the stock for proper allignment. I decided to sell the gun and purchased a benelli super sport. Fits me great, perfect mount and I can shoot hundreds of rounds with no ache at all. I chalked it up to not knowing what I was doing when I purchased the gun. I had a lot more help with my second selection.
    Just my findings for what they are worth. John

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Spenser, you are large chested man, and I have seen more guys that the xt has pounded and that's a shame, the problem is pitch, and pad shape, should you opt for a quick easy fix, loosen the pad screws, put a 1/16th washer in the top screw, shoot a couple of shots if it feels better, add another 1/16, keep doing that until the gun just recoils straight back into your shoulder, not into your face, another point, if the xt has an adjustable comb, when you adjust it make sure that the comb in in perfect alignment with the rib, hold the gun and line it up both from the front of the barrel and back at the pad, you'll be glad you did. incinerate em!

10. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

BigBen, I think your on to something. I seem to take the brunt force of the recoil to my face. I will try your suggestion and see how it goes.

Neil, the pad is factory. No alterations. Unless it is something I dont realize I'm doing, it seems to fit. I do notice that though the gun fits well into my shoulder, I do need to have it higher on my shoulder.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions guys Spenser

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Spenser, if you have the factory concave pad with our builds, the toe of the pad digs into your body and upon firing the gun recoils more into your face, do the washers first if it helps then have a flat pad installed, these are great guns but are not pitched properly for large framed folks. The first time I shot a round to try to help a shooters problem like yours I thought I went 15 rounds with Mike Tyson and lost! The washers really helped and upon adding the flat pad it turned into a great gun for him incineraet em!

12. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I'm pretty simple when it comes to technical shooting stuff. But I've fought cheek slap in every gun I've ever shot. I solved the problem in 1964 and have used it ever since: A stick-on, soft comb pad. Costs about $15. I have one on all my trapguns.

Try it. At worst, you're out $15 or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.