1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting older

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ahab, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play, on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel at 70

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I like what ypu said and the way you said it Ahab. A friend some years older than me stopped shooting recently as he wasn't feeling well.

Tomorrow, another friend and I will visit him in the VA hospital where he is waiting to transfer to their hospice unit. A cancerous mass in his lungs/throat has spread to other areas.

He was a WW2 submariner, and, until the last three weeks, was active and appeared healthy.

Since I retired, just over five years ago, I have tried to play as much as I can, and make memories with my wife. I know God only programmed so many beats into my heart and I don't know when the beats will stop.

I feel a bit sorry for those forty or fifty years younger than me, as I don't think they'll see this country as we did just a few years ago. I hope that they will have the opportunity to shoot trap or do some of the things I have been privileged to do and see, but, I kinda doubt it given the way things seem to be going. Hopefully, I am wrong to be so pessimistic about the future of the United States.

Enjoy tomorrow, and I will too, assuming it doesn't rain me out at the Dollar.

Bob

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Ahab I am assuming those are your words and thoughts. In my opinion you nailed it and made my day in the process. I've been retired about a year and a half and I have to keep fighting the guilt for doing just what I please. Thanks for the good day!! Bill

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thanks Ahab.

Old Gray haired Ajax.

7. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Ahab,

Great! Just don't stop moving. I'll turn 82 on the 23rd. and will be shooting at Myrtle Grove tomorrow. Looking forward to 2013 as Managing Director of a Resarch Institute. When the end comes, I hope it's quick.

Best,

Hank Cross

8. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Im not old, but getting older now, and had a bit of a rocky life as many young men do, and fought any notion that getting older brings joy, but it sure has.

no longer do i race speeding to get a ticket going nowhere important, or become angry over something that will come and go whether i do.

slowing down has shown me how to become a much more happy adult, life is so much easyer when you have grown patience mixed with a little hindsight.

now i need to learn how to run a hundred.

9. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Joe, we're shooting with no problems with a trailer as a temp clubhouse. The rebulid is underway with a much larger footprint.

Merry Christmas,

Hank

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Slayer ... not my words, got it in an email ... but they are my sentiments.

Remember, we must grow old, but we don't have to grow up!

:)

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I retired the first time at the age of 42. Next time when I was 49. The last time when a bad heart attack came at the age of 57. I am now 72 and thank God for every day of my life !!!!!!!! HE has been very good to me and I know not why.

12. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ahab,

I thought you wrote that and I was very impressed as I said in my first post.

I remember thinking that I had read a lot of your posts and hadn't realized what an introspective, intelligent and almost poetical writer you were.

Now I know why. (grin)

Regards,

Bob

13. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Ahab:

Thanks for your posting.

Charlie

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

Ahab - you echoed many a thought as I migrate past the age I had pegged as 'being a memory'.

I can't kill a pigeon right out of the box anymore, now I have to find it becasue i can't hear and I can't see... but every once in awhile I shoot with my remaing friends and we laugh at our antics in the 60's, 70's and 80's before we became serious married guys with fledlings in High School, College and kids joining Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

My fun is teaching my grandson and daughter to shoot and hunt, occasionally whip my sons butts at Sporting and Trap, sleep four hour shifts while we are whelping a new litter of Wolfhounds, read history, pick up an old Aero text and see if I can still decipher the calculus.

I wrote a book about my father's Fighter Group during WWII and just passed a much more comprehensive book to Schiffer Publications taking the Group into Vietnam - to honor those warriors that went to Route Pack 6 every day in their Thuds. All during the research and writing I was hoping to finish it as I had major heart issues in 2007.

My wife and I do our annual pilgramage to Kauahi and one more somewher on our Bucket List when we have a dog sitter for our hounds. I still consult, spend an occasional couple of hours as a substitute history and physics teacher at the High school and try to touch some minds in a sea of the bored and stupid.

I love my country, I grieve for the Republic and who we were when we fought for survival during the War of Northern Agression and WWII, beat back the Communist Hordes, set foot on the moon or sent missionary's to Uganda, but we are not that country any more. We have turned the voting process to the crooked and stupid, and gave up our ideals to the power hungry who have forgotten what it took to cast a Constitution - because they never knew or cared.

So, I dabble in some forums where I put on the aspect of the Curmudgeon - and flail at the wicked.

My hat is off to you sir. Thanks for the thoughts.

Bill the Curmudgeon

Scurry, TX

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"Spend all your kisses Mr. Smith."

....Mrs. Jack Smith

(Thanks AHAB, and never forget to ask for a Sr. discount at any establishment!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.