1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting local eye doctor to set up shooting glass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I need some input on what to tell him.I am putting a single perscription in without my bi-focal .I ordered the Ray bands. thanks I have to buy from the local guy.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I remember some one here telling how they took a clay target to the eye doctor to show what they wanted to see at 35 to 40 yards away. Don't know if that worked or not. Shoot often while we can, Bob

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Have your eye doctor call Allan Lehman. Be sure he has the Pupil Distance in addition to correction.

A set of Ranger frames with Medium target sun Lenses for daytim and a light gold for overcast/night will get you through 98% of your needs.

HM

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Got mine through Decot.

Sent them my RX, advised which lenses I wanted and w/o the bifocal part.

Done...no problem!

Curt

5. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I quit trying to get my eye Dr to set up shooting glasses and use Dr. Frank Rively only! Frank is a shooter and makes a living working with shooters who need glasses. Great guy and great product. He will be at the Grand and can set you up there. Plus his wife has a store at the Grand. I enjoy visiting with them each year.
    See you at the Grand,
    CA

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Frank Rively would be my number one choice...last season, I missed getting hooked up with Frank for the prescription, so had to go to local eye doc...that was my worst mistake.
    I told the guy what I wanted, crystal clear vision at approx.40 yards.
    When I got them, they were set up perfect for 10 feet. Then Frank straightened the whole thing out for me.
    He's the best, and really knows what he's doing.

Jeff Philipbar

7. Damifino

Damifino Member

Another vote for Dr. Frank. - Waiting to see him when he gets back in FL to update new Rx.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Another vote for Frank as well. Only man that sells Shooters eye glasses on the circut that is also a eye Dr. and can get the Rx you need for your distance,shooting style the whole nine yards whatever the case may be. He did mine and I am totally a Happy Camper. Have your Dr. get you your Rx and (pupil width)for the distance shooting you want 35,40 yards whatever and send your Rx to Frank and he will make them up and send them to your home. End of promblem. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Tell the doctor that you want your vision corrected to 20/15. Normal is 20/20. 20/15 means that you can see an object clearly at 20 feet that someone with "normal" vision can only see clearly at 15 feet. This is something that the eye doctor will understand. They may balk at this amount of over-correction at first but when you explain that the lenses will be used only for shooting they will understand.

Jim Skeel

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Skeeljc, I just got new glasses because things were getting a little fuzzy out there.

Found out, I had 20-20 vision with my old glasses, but I am used to 20-15 or there abouts to see clearly out where the bird is and have been wearing those for the last umpteen years.

Amazing how things cleared up when I got my new glasses.

Go figure.

Hauxfan!

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Ask your eye doctor if you can bring your trap gun to the eye exam. I had my prescription adjusted for the higher and left-er optical center of my dominant eye lens by mounting the trap gun and then the good doctor placed a dot where I was looking down the rib. That's where the lab ground the optical center. See the bird better, shoot the bird better.

LA in MA

12. romie

romie Active Member

porcupine that is ithe information I need.I have to shop with the local guy.Do shooting glasses bother when you are not shooting if you have them centered for shooting?????

13. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Romie,

I forgot to mention that you should be sure to specify 'single-vision' lenses for your trap shooting glasses, and try to buy a larger lens. Use a hard case to store them in. You could use them for everyday use, but I recommend wearing them only for trap shooting, as you won't subject them to the greater chance of damaging them or scratching them. A dedicated pair of trap glasses is a small price to pay for the ability to focus better on your clay targets. Good luck.

LA in MA

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i also wrap my glasses in one of those funny cleaning cloths before putting them in the case. the inside of the case will scratch the center convex area of the glasses and leave a mark. motordoc

15. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Dr.Rively set up my glasses at last years Grand. I had been to 2 eye doctors before and he figured out what I needed. He did good by me. Get an appointment early as he gets booked quickly and likes to shoot part of the program. glenn

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

A local optometrist can determine the proper correction. This prescription can be sent to any of the people making shooting glasses and they will know how to change the focal center for trap shooting. It needs to be moved a mm or two higher. Be careful with over corrections. This can induce some other temporary vision problems.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.