1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Lasik on Tues.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Getting Lasik on both eyes Tuesday. Now what to do with my old lens & shooting glasses. I have a set of Post 4 frames & several sets of bi-focal hidef lens, in pink (desert glow), orange (orange glow) & purple passion. I also have a set of Ranger sporter, with the clear lense bi-focal & 3 sets of standard colors-CMT, Vermillion & target orange.

Phil Berkowitz

2. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Phil, good luck,been there and done that,I would do it again, Phil make sure the Dr knows you shoot and which eye you want strongest. Joe

3. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Phil, Let us know how your Lasik went, I hope it went well. How long untill you can shoot? I'm going in at the end of next week!

hmrgun

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Had the procedure done. Total time in the office was 2 hours. 1 hour prep & scan. Twenty minutes for the procedure. The rest was recovery, discharge instructions & two followup exams. Will be seeing the doc thios after noon

No discomfort in the right eye at all. A little discomfort in the left eye.

Did reinforce with the doc that I'm a right eye dominant & I'm a one eye shooter.

Total cost was $2898. that was for cash or check.

Right eye is very clear, left is blurry as I'm typing right now.

Checked out my doc on the internet. Very high ratings & has the latest equipment.

No restrictions except for contact sports( don't do that stuff),no swimming, hot tubs etc.

Will try some shooting this Sun.

Check out the doc I used. Just for info and comparision purposes only.

LASER Eye Center of Carolina Dr. Dean Dornic, Cary,NC

Good luck

Phil Berkowitz

5. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Had mine done almost 2 years ago. Absolutely great! I went to Lasik Plus in Lexington, KY. I have 20-15 with both eyes. Sharp 20-15 in left ( my dominant eye ) and 20-20 in right. I had dry eye in the right for several months. Had to use drops. The procedure was painless and I would do it again tomorrow.
    It took some time to get used to it on the trap line. As anyone who wears corrective glasses ( me for 40+ years ), the world " curves " and as you move your head, the world kind of moves. I had to get used to the world not moving and it took a few months to finally run 100. Shot a lot of 99's!
    I play a lot of pool and that has been the biggest challenge. I am finally getting back to where I can run a few tables now. I still have a ways to go to get back to my old form on the green though.
    I hope you have as good results as I have had. I did have to use cheap reading glasses from Dollar General and still do in low light conditions. My reading vision is improving all the time and most times I do not need reading glasses at all.
    Have fun with your new eyes.
    Nubs Wagner

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You made a good choice to do it Gene. Did you shop price?? I know of several who have had it done for less than half that and it was very successful? I want to do it so any advice will be appreciated

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm 61 and was advised by an optometrist that I was too old.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

An optometrist peddles glasses, see an optolmologist, people in their 80 's have cataaracts done. Everything is fine so far,

Phil Berkowitz

9. Hemlock

Hemlock Member

I had Lasik about 6 years ago. I was 50 years old. My appointment was on a Wednesday at 9 AM. I was out of the office by 11:30. I had a follow up visit the next day a 9 AM. I asked the Doc. when I could go back to shooting. He said, “When would you like to?” and I said the gun club was open that afternoon. He said “I don’t see any reason why you can’t shoot today.” I shot 5 rounds of trap that afternoon. Absolutely no problems. Best $2400 I ever spent.

10. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Phil, I would be real interested in hearing an update on your progress. I will be going in on Friday morning for the same proceedure. I checked out your Dr. and he has the exact same equipment as mine and for a similar price (Visx Star S4 - IR laser). I am going to get mono vision where my right eye is set for distance and the left is set for reading distance. I hope that this kills two birds with one shell. I shouldn't need to use reading glasses for reading and close work and I hope that it helps my one eye shooting problems. The doctor ran tests to see how well I will tolerate mono vision and I did great, so I have high hopes. Did your left eye improve and get comfortable? How are your eyes testing at this stage, 20-20? Have you tried shooting yet?

Best of luck,
    Cliff

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Right eye is 20/15. Both eyes are 20/20. Had a little problem with the left (my non shooting eye) the flap shifted after the procedure. The doc smoothed it out,placed a contact over it to protect it. Removed the contact the next day. Using minimum readers 125 -$6.00 at Dollar General. Haven't shot yet. Been TOO COLD.--I know this is the way to go. Discomfort is way less than getting a tooth drilled. Expect everything to be a max with 30 days. Will get some plain lenses for my POST 4's & Will contact Dr. Rively for a special lens he is pendling that will clip on my Ranger Sporters.

So far so good.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.