1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting in the groove

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

I started shooting sometime in April or May of this year. I have really been enjoying hitting the local trap club, meeting a lot of nice people and learning a lot. Somewhere on this site, i recall reading about ignoring the beads, allowing them to fall within the periphery and focusing on the target and nothing else.
    A couple weeks ago, i broke my first 25 on the Continental, followed by another on regular trap at another trap club that i shoot at on Wednesdays.The center bead has always been fuzzy to me at best with my ancient eyes, and i have been struggling to see it while trying to focus on the target.

This Sunday, i chose to ignore the beads altogether, shoulder the damn gun, get my cheek down on the comb, call the bird and shoot the stupid thing. We had a limited number of people show up since it was raining, so we only had three on our squad at the time. We called the birds in rapid succession, fired and called again, getting into a rhythm. I had little time to think about what the hell i was doing and it seemed to really click. It was as though i was on auto-pilot.

Looking back on my first 25 a few weeks ago, it was the same situation on the Continental where i broke my first 25. Three shooters with no time to think, other than fire, eject, re-load, call bird and shoot. We all did better than usual.

I', not sure if there is a question in here or what, just wanted to share what i experienced. Thanks for reading.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yup!

Thinking is the Kiss of Death!

3. buck3200

buck3200 Well-Known Member

thinking = thinking about about missing

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I line up the beads only when shouldering the gun. I then let them fade into my peripheral vision call and shoot. When all is lined up and when i keep my head down, and when i do my part, my gun shoots where i'm looking. The key word here is "WHEN"!!! Seldom happens that smoothly as my averages reflect. Finished 2010 with 93.08% singles and 88.00% handicap. I'm learning more every year.---Matt

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Here is what happened. You took your conscious mind out of the picture. Your sub conscious mind took over. That is a good thing to happen, because it never makes a mistake. It is called being in the zone. Another good thing is your gun seems to hit where you are looking, take good care of it. HMB

6. neofight

neofight TS Member

Looking back, i realized that i was standing perfectly still, concentrating on the roof of the trap house, not paying attention to what others were doing. I saw in my peripheral, the shooter to my left fire, i simply shouldered the gun, called the bird and my gun seemed to rise to the occasion and vaporized the little tweety bird.

I'll shoot again tomorrow and see if i can replicate this action without thinking about it. This is becoming quite interesting, to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.