1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting dings out of a stock??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7771, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7771

7771 Active Member

My friends Ljutic Got knocked over into the dirt and rocks last night at the club... this gun was Perfect no dings nothing! and now there are scratches and dings and i am wondering where i could tell him to look to get these dings fixed. Please help!
    Thanks

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Try his wifes steam iron....

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Try his wifes steam iron....

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That was such a good answer he had to say it twice. LOL Jim is right though, a damp wash cloth over the ding with a clothes steam iron lightly applied can sometimes raise the ding. It often depends on how thick the clear coating is on the wood. I have removed minor dings from furniture this way. Good answer Jim.-----Matt

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

That only works when the moisture in the damp cloth can pass through the finish to expand the wood fibers. That won't happen with a factory finish on gun stock unless the finish is broken or removed. If the water can pass through the undamaged finish it isn't worth much. The denser the wood the harder it is to raise the grain. Works great on soft pine.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I seen pretty much the same thing Tuesday night. Guy walked up to the door of the club with the gun on his shoulder. He turned to talk to someone behind, and someone came out of the clubhouse swinging the door open and knocked the gun off his shoulder. Three guys reacted to try to stop the gun from hitting the ground. Once I seen it leave his shoulder, I closed my eyes and plugged my ears. Needless to say his gun has some bad dents from the blacktop.

The thing that has to be done is to raise the grain as much as possible so it fills the dent. Depending how big and deep the dents, you may have to remove the finish and start over. Then the stock needs to be sanded and finished. Like BigM-Perazzi says it takes steam and heat to raise the grain, or expand the wood. If you can't get the wood to expand fully then you have to fill the dent. I use either clear epoxy or some built up finish. Sand it smooth to the surface, like doing bodywork on a car. Then refinish the hole stock. If you are going to stain the stock remember to do this under the fill first. Good luck, or have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. Jon

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you hyave an oil finish a heat lamp works sometimes, depending on how deep the blem is.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.