1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

getting combo barrels shooting to same spot.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plott hound, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

Just open the box on new browning combo. Shot the unsingle bbl first and couldnt hit the broad side ofthe barn. Put o/u bbl on and smashed bird after bird. Question is best fastest way to get unsingle shooting like the o/u . My guess is shoot some paper at fairly close range. Say 15 yards. And just adjust till they hit in same spot . Any better ways ? Don

2. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

3. srvfan

srvfan Member

Just bought one myself took me about 1 month to adjust it to shoot
    were I look. Out of the box the gun shoots extremely flat you must raise the
    comb quite a bit in 1/8" increments until you achieve your optimum p.o.i.
    everyone has there own comfort zone...... I also had to lower the front
    sight to the halfway point . The front sight I did first then I stood on
    post 3 with straight aways and kept adjusting my comb 1/8" at a time
    until I was smashing them. I then went to a pattern board to do my fine
    tuning. I really like the gun now that it is adjusted but I almost sold
    it out of frustration glad I stuck it out. It is amazing how many
    different opinions there are on this subject thats what took so long
    for me to figure it out I had to wade thru all the opinions and slowly
    but surely figure it out for myself. When you lower the front sight
    you must loosen the allen screws in the middle of the rib first.
    Good Luck !!!! Paul
    if you have anymore ? let me know

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don- Shooting some paper at 13 yards is a good start.

Pat Ireland

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Pat's right on. Too many combo owners concentrate on the unsingle first and then must adjust the comb when shooting the O/U set. Instead, use the adjustable comb to get the O/U shooting where you're looking and then the unsngle's adjustable rib to dial it in. That way, the comb remains stationary and POI remains constant from barrel to barrel.

Ed

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

And, don't forget the very big advantage you have. You now have one barrel shooting where you want it to shoot. All you have to do is get the other barrels shooting the same place.

Most of us get a new combo and do not know if we need to raise or lower the POI. Many shoot a combo for years and do not realize that the different barrels are shooting at different places. They change shot size, foot position and port the barrels but never figure out the problem.

Pat Ireland

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

This discussion is exactly why I have resisted getting a combo set...trying to get 3 barrels shooting to the same place...why pay for this frustration? With my XT - and no adjustable comb - I can shoot singles with a Mod or ImpMod in the top barrel; handicap with the bottom barrel (heavy loads recoiling straight back help the "felt" recoil don't ya know?); and doubles with the same gun...and no "adjustment" worries. Just one dummy's opinion. Thanks, Ed

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

But Ed, with a combo you can have three barrels ported instead of only two. A combo also increases the fun of cleaning barrels by 50%. See what you are missing?

Pat Ireland

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Dang! I always learn too late...oh well, it took me more than a couple of years to learn that you are supposed to buy low and sell high...no wonder my hair turned gray when I was in my 30s. Best Regards, Ed

10. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

hot at paper today. Bottom barrel was grouped a couple inches (main pattern) high. Changed to unsingle and it shot seven inches low. Took about 6 shots to get it also shooting high. Will shoot some clay tomorrow and see how it turned out. Don

11. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

What a difference that made. Nice shooting gun. Thanks for the replys . Shoot em down all. Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.