1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting COLD, Coyotes are getting closer/braver...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Noticed the last 3 nights alot of yote activity round the ranch. Cold weather means they are getting desprate for a good meal. I plan on going out this weekend and looking to get a few.

Any tricks out their that may help me along the way? Using a 22 mag and or an 870 wingmaster. which ever fits the shot.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think you need to get you a rifle with a little more range and power. I prefer my AR15 in 5.56mm. Shotguns work great but you just don't have the range. I think the .22mag is questionable for coyotes. I guess a short to mid range head shot it would be fine. Just my opinion anyway.

Good Luck none the less.

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yes I would only take head/neck shots with my 22mag. I want some pelts not to just watch them run away laughing at me.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Full or extra full choke with Federal 3" Premium #4 buck.

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

For coyotes you better just leave that 22mag at home kgp912kgp...... you need a little more fire power. I tried a 17HMR last year and shot a coyote, he ran for miles before I found him.

I shot this coyote with a Ruger Red-hawk 44mag ..... 50yds from me...... 240gr Hornady XTP. Drop like a rock!

rickinohio_2009_270434.jpg

6. grntitan

Brian,

What kind of range do you get with that buckshot? I have never really done much experimenting with any size buckshot other than target practice.

Matt

7. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

30-06 worked just fine on our farm for everything but mice. Both of these were taken by my son Jody at over 250 yards. Below picture of coyote was taken by my son with his bow at 25 yards. He shot his first archery buck, first archery doe, first archery coyote and two rifle kill coyotes and two rifle kill does...all during the same visit home in 2010. Great trip!!!

Good luck this weekend,

milt
    mette56_2008_080773.jpg

8. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Nice Milt!

9. grntitan

I like that Milt. Very nice looking mounts. Is that a male and female?

Matt

10. mette56

Matt, small one was a female, larger one was a male and the archery kill was a young female.

milt
    mette56_2008_080775.jpg

11. grntitan

Milt,

He had one a heck of a hunting trip. You will cherish that memory forever. I'm sure he had a great teacher. Thanks for sharing,

Matt

12. mette56

Matt,

Other cherished memories. Me and my three sons on opening day of 1978 Missouri dove season...left to right: Jody born 1-15-68, (me), Sammy born 1-15-72 and Jason born 1-13-68. Jason passed away in 1992 and Sammy passed away in 2010.

Yep, cherish your time with your kids while you are all still here.

milt

13. grntitan

Milt,

Great old photo.

I hope i'm not overstepping my bounds here but i must ask. Why did you lose two sons at such young ages? It really hits home as the oldest are roughly my age. That is way too young.

My oldest after he harvested his first whitetail and one of our yearly fishing trips to Reelfoot Lake.
    grntitan_2009_2503121.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503124.jpg

14. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Yessir, the coyotes are sure on the move. The dairy farmer up the hill from me said he shot 51 coyotes last year on his farm and his neighbors farm. I got quite a few myself on the apple orchards where I hunt the most -- open areas and plenty of critters. My neighbor had one stare down his wife as she backed out of the garage the other day; didn't even run, just stared her down...

I do believe you would do better with a small caliber rifle and some mid-range optics. There are plenty of inexpensive ( and decent) used guns out there, some with optIcs already. A used bolt action in .223 Rem or .204 Ruger would be perfect in a light weight rifle with a 2-7X Leupold and a 32mm bell: light weight rifle and scope = carry all day without fatigue and handy to move about. You'll find more used rifles in .223, but I prefer the .204 Ruger for it's range and accuracy, the finest new small caliber developed in the past twenty years...

Well, good luck hunting, and learn to call and sit still. Have several stands and call. If they don't come in 20minutes, move on; they're not coming. I have about 10 stands I use all winter. And don't forget to camo up with the terrain. A sheet can be a cheap winter smock for snow conditions, otherwise buy the right gear. I was young and broke when I first started coyote hunting, so I used what I had and could get cheap. The only thing I didn't go cheap on was the rifle and scope. When you buy cheap, you buy twice....cya

15. mette56

Matt,

Jason was killed accidently by some of his friends in a prank. They locked him in the trunk of a car then left the scene. Car somehow caught on fire and he died of smoke inhalation. Sammy died from heart complications. He died at 38 with 4 stints in his heart. Couldn't save him...he was a sick boy. Thanks for asking. Did you notice their birthdates? With the exception of 2 days, they would have all been born on the same day 2 years apart. I think this was a threads about coyotes...sorry to step on it kgp912kgp.

milt

PS, you have a fine looking boy there! Neck shot, my favorite but I like it a little further up towards the head. Neck roast is our favorite venison cut around here.

16. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I'm NOT one of those guys that care about other topics on my threads. I actually appreciate the good stories. I am loving the pics reminds me of the trips my father and I took as a young kid and the lessons taught.

I have 2 good stands and 6 other stands that I am going to check out for the heck of it. The .204 sounds like something I am going to look into. I really like the T-bolt Browning for my yotes though. She is light and the accuracy is amazing.

HAPPY VETERANS DAY DAD AND TO ALL THANK YOU!!!

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I realize a .22 mag is not the prefered caliber for coyotes, but I shot a coyote broadside 6 winters ago with a CCI .22 mag Speer 30 grain TNT hollow point at roughly 75 yards. It made a heck of a thud when it hit him. The coyote flopped a bit getting back up, did a slow run for about 30 yards and fell over. Head and neck shots are better but a couple of holes in each lung are effective as well even with a non-centerfire round. The exit wound was just a bit smaller than a 50 cent piece. Of course, I wasn't shooting it for the pelt, it had chased my girlfriend's (at the time) from a cornfield back into the yard. Thats a little too bold for any coyote. Its best that coyotes remain scared of humans, this one didn't act that way.

John

18. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

The 204's is a awesome round for coyote hunting ..... they are flat shooting and super fast. I have used a Savage 204 out in South Dakota before coyote hunting and you can drop a coyote at 500yds easy.

19. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I 2nd the 204

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Milt, wow, that's rough. Every parent's worst nightmare.

Matt, in my shotgun (1187 with 21" turkey barrel) with my choke (Rem turkey super full) and with Federal Premium 3" #4 buck, I have a pattern that will lace a coyote nose to rump at 50 yards. Non-premium shot reduces that by 10 yards or more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.