1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting chokes installed on a fixed 870 barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I have an 870 fixed skeet barrel and a set of invector plus extended chokes and want to know if it is possible to have the barrel modified for this? If possible would like some references. Thanks Joe

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Your barrel must have a min. OD of at least .860 and a max. bore diameter of .745 (can be smaller however).. if these chokes will work.. I don't think the Remington barrels are that thick.. but if they are.. Stu Wright will do a fine job of installing the Invector plus tubes..

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Your right the OD is .825 guess I can't go there. Thanks for the info. Joe

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Joe--Since it is a 870 you could probably find another barrel to suit whatever needs you wanted to meet. The price of boring and threading will probably be similar in price to what a used barrel with chokes already installed. Just trying to offer options.

Matt

5. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Thanks Matt -- I'm actually using a sportsman 58 TB for trap but have a 26" skeet which I plan on using for the local 5-stand. I'll just have to change barrels for the long shots. A "new to me" 870 barrel will require cutting gas holes as well. Oh well, its the price to shoot vintage guns. Joe

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I listed an 870 express barrel w/ screw chokes up here last night, would definitely be a cheaper route for you...

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Out of curiosity, is there a gunsmith who still bores gas ports in 870 barrels for use on a Model 58?

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Ahlmans in MN still advertises it. Pretty much a nothing job if you have a jig you can clamp onto the band to guide the drill bit.

9. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Briley thin walls will work in your 870 skeet barrel. I have an older 1100 barrel that I had Briley do back in the mid 80's.

Dale

10. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

skeet man is right that it's pretty easy with a jig. I wonder how much briley would charge? Thin wall chokes aren't cheap, I have them on my O/U tubes, maybe give them a call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.