1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting bench ready for a new Spolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I am getting my bench ready for my new Spolar I just ordered. Graduating from a single stage mec and a mec grabber. I will probably keep the single stage for heavy loads. I would like to see with pics, if you shooters have them, how the set up is made for the drop tube for the finished shells to fall in a bucket, box, etc. The size hole I need and size pipe. I have drawers under my bench and do not want to loose them if possible. Thanks Tom

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Tom, give Spolar a call, they have a paper template available that lays it all out for you.

Robert

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is what I did on my P/W. I started with a 2" 45 degree PVC elbow. I had to add the aluminum to keep the .410's in line. My shells drop into a container in the drawer below.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

4. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

5. Willus

Willus TS Member

I have taken some pictures of my spolar, when I get the pictures, and can get them down loaded to this site.you can see what I did.

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I just got a 4" PVC connector....bottom half of the connector goes down into the table. In the top half, I cut a slot for the shells to enter. Put a bucket underneath to catch them.

7. Willus

Willus TS Member

I have taken some pictures of my spolar, when I get the pictures, and can get them down loaded to this site.you can see what I did.

8. Baron23

I just got a 4" PVC connector....bottom half of the connector goes down into the table. In the top half, I cut a slot for the shells to enter. Put a bucket underneath to catch them.

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Ditto Baron23. I purchased a workbench at Menards, bolted it together, and bolt the Spolar to the bench after I drilled a 4" hole and put drain pipe through it. Use a 45° to drop them in the bag. I use Bucket Boss bags that slide in on a shelf and hole 300 12 ga. rnds. Slick as snot. Put the hydraulic unit on a lower shelf, where it sits happily (but a little noisy).

Best thing you can do is put carpet under the loader, and a rim at the edge of the table to catch falling shot. And have a small shop vac plugged int. I put a socket in the wall with one outlet switch to turn the machine on and off.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

11. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

How is it possible for a bench to be so neat and organized? Nice set-up ALF

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

rodbuster It don,t always look like that (LOL) .

When I ordered the Spolar I was told 6 weeks and that was fine I had a P-W . Well a friend bought the P-W the next day still fine ok . Then I shot alittle more then I thought I would and bang no shells . So the day I got the Spolar setup I loaded 11 bags of shot . Talk about a mess it took me two days to clean up .

It,s nice when you have time to do the stuff you never had time to do before .

Thank You ALF

13. Willus

Willus TS Member

leadhead where do you plan on putting your loading bench, in your gun room, den, etc.

14. CR7Prez

CR7Prez Member

Alf, Where did you get those fancy Hull & Wad containers?

Jeff

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jeff the Wad and Hull containers are P-W made for the old 800 B . You can find them on e-bay from time to time .

16. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Willus, I already have the bench. I put it in the basement and I am limited to space. I purchased a kobalt steel bench with drawers from Lowes. I reinforced the top with a 3/4" piece of sanded plywood and put it over the top the fiberboard Kobalt put on the bench top and tech screwed the top down through the angle iron. I extended the top an extra foot in width, so I could mount my Mec I will keep. I was wanting to see the set up on the back of the Spolar to see where the shell fell and how big of a hole I would need in the bench top. I have seen a 4 inch opening and I have seen the one as posted on this thread above. I am open to any and would just like to see pics. I should be able to cut the hole and the shells should fall in the big drawer on the bench. Thanks for asking Tom

17. Willus

Willus TS Member

Tom, this is how I did my reloading bench, as you can see the one reloader is the one that my father used in the 30's. Someone had a post a few weeks ago about the oldest reloader. I do not know the age. but maybe someone can help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Thank you very much Willus. Those are the pics I wanted to see. Especially the third one. I wanted to see how the shell fell. Mine will fall into a large drawer instead of a bucket or bin, but same theory. Again thank you very much. Tom

19. Baron23

Leadhead - that's exactly (the 3rd pic) how I did mine and tried to explain above.

On suggestion, use a 4" coupler and not just a piece of 4" pipe. The coupler will have a flange in the middle that will rest on the top of your bench so it doesn't slip, etc. Also, a coupler is made to fit inside a 4" ID pipe, hence a 4" hole saw will work very well.

Cheers

20. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Thanks Baron 23

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.