1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back to reloading, reloading components?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Machster179, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machster179

Machster179 TS Member

I'm just getting back into shooting trap and need a little advice.

I have an older 600 mec jr. reloader and have always used the older AA hulls with winchester wads, federal primers and using a 28 bushing powder (700X) and was wondering what other shooters are using for powder nowadays and if using 700X what bushing are you using on a 600 mec jr.

I haven't reloaded for about 20 yrs so I'm just wondering what has improved or what would be recommended as things change alot over this many years!

Thanks.

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Everything you have still works. Just to be on the safe side check how much powder your 28 bushing is dropping. Should be about 17 gr.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Alliant's PROMO powder is a bit less expensive than 700X, and Duster and Downrange wads save a bit over Winchester. Nobel Sports or Fiocchi primers save over Winchester primers as well. Lastly, there is a trend to lighten payloads to save on shot costs - 1 oz and 7/8 oz seem to work well if you point in the right place.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto - nothing wrong with what you've done in the past even though there are many more choices than ever before. I personally have chronographed extensively and found 700X to be the most reliable for consistent loads than any other powder but I'd not expect you to believe I've checked them all - certainly not. Like sir 99 says, weigh your drops from your bushings; we can't tell you what your bushing will drop on your machine and the way you operate the machine. The newer AA hulls are two piece with a separate base wad and are not liked by many reloaders; wads can tend to hang up on the top of this base wad and some have had the base wad end up in their barrels after firing. Nothing wrong with federal primers but they're considerably more expensive than some of the off brands like Fiocchi, Noble Sport, and so on. My favorite 700 X loads resemble 7/8 oz of 9s with 16.5 gr. of powder for skeet, 16 yard trap, 1st shot of trap doubles, and close sporting use and 17 to 17.4 gr. of 700X behind 1 oz of 8s for longer shots. Weigh your powder drops to see where you are and use the IMR loading booklet for full recipes.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.