1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back into the game

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rohitdean, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Hi All,
    I was about 10 years old when I first shot a round of singles trap with a SxS 12 gauge. I hadn't been to a range for 25 years and then last week I got a chance to shoot trap again practically for the first time. Can the experts share any advice or pointers with me.
    One of my specific question is: Is Mod choke adequate for singles trap from the 16 yard position or should I go tighter? It seems to work for Canadian Geese and I managed to break 12 birds on my first singles round using a Rem. 870 XSM with Mod choke shooting generic target 1 oz #8 shells.

Thanks
    Rohit

2. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

mod will work....but the tighter the choke, the better you are able to judge your accuracy which will most likely lead to better scores.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would recommend a little tighter choke than Modified but I would also at this time recommend you not worry too much about the choke or your shells. Concentrate on keeping your head down on the stock, see the target and let the gun go off without aiming with the front sight. You have to develop some trust that you gun will do the right thing without aiming.

Also, do not forget to have fun and meet some of the best people in the world. Fun and fine people are abundant at gun clubs.

Pat Ireland

4. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I'm no expert, but I started with a fixed wide open modified and won a few events with it. I had Briley eventually put chokes in and I now use the full.

My modified worked very well from 16 to all the way to the 27 and then some. The farther away you are the more holes in your pattern. Mod works very well if your shotgun makes a nice pattern. Pattern your gun with 5 shots from a rest at 30 yards and see where it shoots.

5. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Thanks to all who responded!
    I will stick to the Mod choke and the 1 oz or lighter target loads for now.
    I did notice that I have been breaking the trailing end on some birds so I have to get a feel for the lead for those types of angles.
    I also noticed that I am bringing my head down to the stock instead of bringing my stock to my cheek so I have to work on that.
    Last but not least, I noticed I am thinking too much about things like stance, initial gun point, lead distance for different angles at different stations - maybe I should just point and shoot.
    Once I can break the 20 bird per round psychological barrier, I will start thinking about all these things.
    Will keep you all posted on my progress.
    BTW I shoot at Bull Run Shooting Center in Northern VA and there are more than a few experts there from what I saw.

Thanks
    Rohit

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

For your problem with bringing your head down to the stock, practice mounting your gun the correct way about 50 times a day, I did this when I first strarted and it seemed to help. I was able to bring the gun to the same place on my shoulder every time.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Rohit, you are in our general area. We'd be glad to shoot with you some time.

Martin and Devi

8. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Martin and Devi,
    I look forward to it. I am planning to go to Bull Run on the 4th.

Thanks
    Rohit

9. recurvyarcher

We will be shooting the Virginia State Shoot. But I will send you an email with our phone numbers and we will get together soon.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rohit - The VA State at Winchester is only about 1 hour from you. Why not come down and shoot with us?

Pat Ireland

11. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Pat, Martin and Devi,
    I have never shot anywhere but Dr. Karni Singh Range in New Delhi or Bull Run Shooting Center in Manassas, VA but from what I have read in the brochure the Winchester Gun Club would be a fun place to shoot. I will drive there on the 4th to at least see the events. I don't have any registered scores but even if I did I would classify as a low "D" :-(. Send me an email with your numbers (replace the at with @ and dot with . in the email address), I will be mailing my cellphone number to you.

Thanks
    Rohit

12. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Hi All,
    I drove upto Winchester Gun Club today and saw the best compete against each other in the VA State Shoot. I, on the other hand was on the two practice traps all the way at the far end of the range. I tried my hand at handicap for the first time from the 27 yd position and I will not talk about my scores there but my 16 yd score improved from a consistent 12 to a consistent 15. That's a 25% improvement :-o !!! At this rate I will be ready for some competitive shooting by next year. Thanks everyone for all your tips and words of encouragement both at this forum and the range.

Good luck who are still at the VA State Shoot.

Thanks
    Rohit

13. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Rohit,

Quackshot and I are going to be at the VA State shoot on saturday hoping to hook up with Devi and Martin. I am shooting about the same as you and will be on the practice traps. Quackshot on the other hand is a much better shot.
    Come on back to Winchester saturday the 7th!!

Devi and Martin, see you there!

Luvn

14. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Luvn, Devi and Martin,
    I'll be there on the practice traps again this Saturday.

Thanks
    Rohit

15. recurvyarcher

Great! We'll see all of you then. You, too, Pat.

16. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Rohit - I can relate to your situation. I shot in college then took a 30 year sabatical to raise a family before getting back into it.

My suggestion is to not over think the game. My first year back I did fairly well and then for the next 2-3 years my scores went down. They are coming back but I think I went through a period of trying to make it more difficult than it really is.

This is not a thinking man's game. It is a game of repetition and making every shot consistent with the one before it.

And like Pat says, have fun.

Dan

17. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Good fun once again!!!
    I drove up to Winchester/Stephenson again this morning (Saturday 7/7/7) to see the competitive shooters in action and shoot a couple of rounds at the practice trap myself.
    Did pretty bad on the two rounds I shot there so I won't post my scores here. Thanks to the Gentleman who noticed I was moving my head from the stock just seconds before pulling the trigger and pointing it out to me. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry I did not get your name before leaving. If you are reading this post - Thank you for pointing that out to me. I guess today was just not my day. Oh well, maybe next time!!! Next year (God willing) I plan to compete. I will start the trash talking once my scores improve.

Ciao
    Rohit

18. recurvyarcher

Sorry we missed you, Rohit. We looked for you down at the practice trap a couple of times in between shooting. Later, someone working the practice trap told Luvn that you had been there. I'm sure we will see you soon. Keep shooting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.