1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back into skeet, HS hull/wad reloading??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by alaskanicelander, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alaskanicelander

alaskanicelander TS Member

The HS hulls were just coming out when I left the skeet scene. I have seen posts on shotgun reloading forums on issues with what wad to use on these hulls, (not a lot of positive comments with claybusters...which I was surprised). I haven't purchased my supplies yet and have hulls coming in from other shooters. Just would like to know (for 12 gauge in particular) which wad to go with. This could turn out to be a Ford vs Chevy thread; but I thought I would through it out there. I appreciate your opinions/comments.

Gary

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What's available locally?

3. alaskanicelander

TGT 12/Claybusters/Win AA and Gamaliel has free shipping right now for orders over 30.00 and they sell something called "Downrange" and a few others. So looks like a wide variety. I will go with a 1 oz wad, just to get a few extra shells per bag of shot. Also in Shotgun World Forum a few shooters were talking about Duster wads...haven't seen them personally.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've use several clones of the factory Winchester wads, depending on what was readily available locally at the time. They all worked fine for me. Sounds like a good deal from Gamaliel, don't let it get away. That gives you a lot choices. Dunno which I would choose if they were all equally available and priced.

Wad Nazis will be piling in here shortly. They bore me with their 'angles on a head of a pins' arguments. I'll leave you to them. Good luck.

5. fly

fly Active Member

Free shipping offer excludes shot, wads and shotgun target ammo. These items will be charged normal shipping fees

6. alaskanicelander

Thanks Fly...I didn't catch that.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The "DownRange" hulls are top shelf. They do not plastic foul your chokes and barrel like the Claybusters do. Well worth investing in.

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the HS hull. I gave all mine away and now only load green ones with DR XL-1 wads.

I gave all my HS hulls to a buddy who swears they are great...... But, I suggest DO NOT try to load the DR XL series in the HS hull. As I have seen from others in this forum the XL-1 wad in an HS hull will catch air under it and float up after you seat the wad. I ended up buying all my buddies DR XL-1 wads because of that very issue.

The CB CB1100-12 or the DR DRA-1 work better for 1 oz. in the HS hull.

DR customer service is outstanding! And YES, I truly believe less plastic fouling with DR wads.

SW

9. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Alaskanicelander,
    I just used some of the newer Claybuster wads with the lead in taper on powder cup. They loaded very nice. It was the cb1100. As far as plastic foul...take the time to clean your gun after using, no big deal.

Kurt

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Gamaliel free shipping does not include wads. That changes things.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See which wad your reloading machine likes. See if you can get a few samples from friends that reload. HMB

12. tj303

tj303 Member

I like the Duster wads in AAHS hulls (and in STS/Gun Club) with Clays and AA primers, load nicely, clean barrel. I only load 1 oz or 7/8 oz of lead. Using Green Duster or Clear Duster.

13. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

One more for GREEN DUSTERs.

They will also send you samples. They work better than the others for me. Give them a try.

14. willing

willing Member

I got wads(10000) from Gamiliel with the shipping $22 plus change. The last order was $17 plus changefor shipping for 5000. Quite an increase for UPS shipping.

Bill

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Actually $22 to ship (2) case boxes/10,000 wads is pretty reasonable. It would cost you more than that sending them USPS Parcel Post which is usually the cheapest and slowest method. Case boxes of wads are no a small box.

16. SMSGT

SMSGT TS Member

I have reloaded the AA HS hulls ever since they have been out. I have not had any trouble with them and can reload them 6 or more times before they demonstrate any issues. I use Red Dot powder, AA white wads and Win 209 primers. I load them with the same components as the old style hulls with equal performance from both.

SMSGT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claybuster 410 wads free shipping

duster wads reloading

reloading with duster wads