1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back in game...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lsudrt, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsudrt

lsudrt TS Member

Ladies and gentlemen I could use some advice - I have been out of Trap and Skeet shooting, in fact all shooting for 10+ years... The cause was sickness, cancer twice...

Now that I am back on my feet, I would like to return to shooting... I am retired, have time, money and a supportive spouse - but I could use some suggestions, some personal examples, a good joke (lol) and anything else that anyone whould care to lend to this discussion... I have given some thought to a game plan to get back to a level of shooting that I would feel good about displaying at the gun club and maybe taking on the road for some competion. (I use to be fairly good), Step 1 - I have started to walk and lift weights to get the physical strengh back, I am looking at my guns and in fact posted a topic asking for pros and cons on a 682e... So with this I will read and respond - dang it's hot, hot, hot down here in the deep south... lsudrt

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can give you some advice. Get a gun. Which gun is not nearly as important as getting one that fits. Get to a club and start having fun. Everything else is secondary. Hope to see you at the Dixie Grand next January. It is in the South and could be hot.

Pat Ireland

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the sport, and so glad to hear of your recovery!!!

Walking is good. I think mounting your gun a number of times every day, and swinging it, is just as good as lifting weights. Having said that, trapmanjohn had me lifting light weights in addition to mounting the gun in preparation for my first shooting season. He even sent me a text to remind me to do it while I was in Italy on vacation...LOL!!! What a slave master. *smile*

4. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Good to hear you are working out. I would suggest a trip to the Grand. There you can try guns, visit with gun fitters, seek a little advice from a lot of people, shoot a round to say you did, eat BBQ, have a rootbeer float, enjoy homemade peach icecream, and have lots of fun.
    Hope you can make it.
    CA

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Take a hard look at the SKB 85TSS series. Great guns with most all the bells & whistles for MUCH less than anything else!

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Enjoy a clinic with an ALL American and re-learn the correct way. Choose the gun you really want then have it custom fitted. Don't listen to much free advise with more than a grain of salt.Don't choose a gun that has not been proven by the very best shooters.

7. mike T

mike T Member

Isudrt,
    I was out of the shooting game for almost 20 years quite in 1980 or so and started up again in 2003. I had sold my trap guns but kept an 1100. Started up with that. did o.k. but wanteded an single barrel or o/u. bouhgt a new bt 99 did not feel like my old one. sold it and bought a 682e combo could not be happier.

So my suggestion is get a 1100 or a 391 get it fitted to you. get a lesson from one of the "pros". If that works out you can always up grade to a combo or what ever.
    mike t

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Isudrt, I also agree with Pat that you need a gun that fits you well. Considering the info that you have supplied about your age and health.I think you might want to look into buying a Precision Fit Stock from Vern Brown. These are metal stocks, they look abit like a robot of sorts. They will take an (adjustable) amount of recoil out of your current gun. From a little to alot. They are totally adjustable to fit any shooter. Left or Right hand as well. You might want to have a pro stock fitter to get it close for you. This way you should have no problems shooting the gun you already have. Todd at the Country Gentleman is probably the best. The stock is called the PFS for short. The number is (719) 250-7727 for the stock, and Look up Country Gentleman online at WWW.gunfitter.com. Hope this helps you out. Glad to hear your feeling better as well. Break-em all. Jeff

9. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Welcome back and best of Luck. I recently came back to trap after EIGHTEEN years away. I can relate to the "learning curve". I had a good idea of WHAT I needed to do.....but my body resisted. Tough to bring back that muscle memory from years past. Just have to keep at it.

My two cents would be to get whatever You choose to shoot fitted by a Pro. I went to S&S Plus here in Montana as they were my closest fitters. WHAT a difference. Also found out I had a few form/stance issues which I'm working on.

I've never taken lessons from a Pro but probably NOT a bad idea.

FN in MT

10. lsudrt

lsudrt TS Member

Gentlemen, every suggestion is great and I thank each and every one of U in advance for the help, truly it means a lot to me… Trap and Skeet is not like riding a bicycle...
    Here is an outline of where I am headed...
    I am known as a “Lary” - I have no larynx from the two cancers, therefore no voice - #1 I need to develop a way to indicate I am ready for a bird...
    I’m 6’3” and have a stiff neck (real stiff from 3 operations) 2 radical neck dissections and 1 spinal fusion.. So adjustable combs on all my guns are a must... and working with someone who know how to fit a gun... I'm talking to Greg Hissem, Ken Rucker and Mark Deprez... I have my reason for talking to all 3...
    I grew up shooting A-5s and B-2000 and I currently own a bunch of each in both 12 and 20 ga... I truly never found a better shooting gun than the B-2000, back in the day it was sweet... Now all of my guns are 95% or better - so I plan to take 4 - 2 A-5s and 2 B-2000, have recoil systems install; Gracoil and Speedbump w/ adj combs... a little barrel work from someone like Seminole. Then I to shot 5000 or 6000 rounds through them by this time next year...
    Oh yes one other - no two other items - I am going to take lessons from at least two AA instructors... need suggestions - and next I bought a 682e and a Bt-99 Golden Clay at a price that was really too hard for me to pass up... Now I am going to store them in the safe - no rounds until I make some decisions about the A-5/B-2000 setup and have shot a bunch of demo guns... That is my story and I am sticking to it.... One other physical thing - I have no thyroid, I take pills to control my thyroid - they don't work that well - so I sweat like a old plow mule - I have to get a handle on that - gloves and some type of head band to keep the sweat out of my eyes... I am thinking of testing a release trigger for a number of reasons...
    I would love some more comments, suggestions and critiques - I can handle most anything - I did not invent this stuff I'm just trying to adapt my limitations to something that I love...

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Use a whistle to call for the bird. I've seen other people do it, and a short whistle blow works well.

For lessons, all of the pros are good. I would talk with each one and get a feel for their personalities, teaching styles, locations for clinics, costs, etc. Then pick the best two FOR YOU. Most of them have email address, which may make it easier for you to communicate with them. Here are some websites so that you can get a start and find their email addresses:

Phil Kiner www.philkiner.com

Ricky Marshall http://www.richardmarshalljr.com/

Leo Harrison III karlaannharrison@hotmail.com

Frank Hoppe http://www.fieldandclays.com/classifi.htm#Frank%20Hoppe

Harlan Campbell http://www.harlancampbelljr.com/index.html

Kay Ohye http://www.krieghoff.com/content/view/108/ (contact Debbie)

Nora Ross nstarross@msn.com

There are others, but I don't know how to contact them. This will get you started. Other shooters may have contact info and recommendations for other clinicians.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that you have overcome cancer twice; as for suggestions just one, get there shoot and enjoy.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Consider working with Phil Ross in California; he has helped many that are making comebacks after years away...convenient if you are in the So-Cal area. He fired up my desire to shoot again after 14 years away. See his ad at this site.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

As far as calling for your birds, I know of a fellow that attached a buzzer to the end of his forearm and would activate it with a push of a button with a finger of the off hand. I've also seen the whistle used on many fields......Bob Dodd

15. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

My dad tells a story of a guy, back in the 70's, that had no voice box. He would use a small duck call to call for the bird.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Welcome back to Trapshooting Lary. I'm sure you'll enjoy your return to this fine sport. Have fun with those two excellent guns you recently purchased as they should be there early next week. You did extremely well on that deal!!
    Thanks!
    Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.