1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a punch on a 300 bird event

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ric3677, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

yes

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jim, a punch depends on how many shooters participate in each 100 and the winners score. Less than 15 shooters, no punches unless a 96 or better is shot. A trophy could be awarded to high gun on 300 targets without any punches if less than 15 shooters participated in all events. Hap

3. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Is this a 300-bird event or 3-100 bird events? Big difference.

Tim

4. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

X2, It has to be treated as 3-100 bird events and punches awarded as earned on each hundred before the next hundred is shot. As Hap said if there is less than 15 people and no one hits a 96,97,98,99 or 100 there are no punches and you move on to the next go around. It is an interesting scenario, concievably the high gun on the 300 might not even get a punch even if more than 15 shooters participated. If winners (or punches)on each hundred tanked the other 1 or 2 hundred of the event, an unpunched consistent shooter over 300 rounds could take the top prize.

Jim

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

It's treated as 3 seperate events. After the first 100 you have to stop to see if anyone shot a 96 or better and give out the punches and so on for each 100. Unless there are less than 15 shooters.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, YJ, there's a better place to get answers about this kind of thing than TS.com. The rule book - available on line - covers it on page 24.

"6. In marathon Handicap events comprised of more than 100 targets,
    each 100 targets (or remaining part of 100 targets) shall constitute a
    separate event for earned yardage purposes and shall be reported as
    a separate event on the shoot report form.

7. When multiple Handicap events are shot during the same day
    with fewer than 15 contestants, yardage will be awarded the high
    score(s), under the earned yardage table, by combining the total
    number of different individual shooters in all events with fewer than
    15 shooters.

For example;

Event 1 - 14 shooters, Event 2 - 20 shooters, Event 3 - 12 shooters (3
    of whom shot Event 1), Event 4 - 13 shooters (5 of whom shot Event1
    and/or Event 3). Event 2 stands on it’s own because it has more than
    15 shooters. Combining Events 1, 3, 4 total of 31 different shooters
    (14, 9, 8). The high score among those 31 shooters will receive a ½
    yard punch based on the earned yardage table."

As you see, it's a complicated program - too complicated to expect a correct answer on TS.com, to be fair - and any club who tried to figure this out without the rulebook open in front of them would be making a big mistake.

Neil

7. motrap

motrap Member

Also, sounds like, POTENTIALLY, some shooter(s) may have shot the incorrect yardage for the 2nd 100, and/or again for the 3rd 100 ........ therefore disqualification(s) may be in order .........

X2 fan ....... no difference, (however, the 3 Events concept would have been easier for shooters (and management) to understand the properly administered procedure) ........ also be advised that only the 2 highest (legally shot) scores may be used for yardage reduction averages .........

Trophies/Options could still be written to be combined on scores of multiple 100's ......... there is never a time when a 300 bird Handicap is superior to a program written to combine results (re; Trophies and Options) of three separate events ......

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

9. Hap MecTweaks

Five shooters at a 300 bird "marathon" totals out 15 accumulated shooters, winner gets a half or more. Bet they don't play handicap "marathons" much in sandy land? Hap

10. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Not necessarily, Hap.

The winner of the total 300-target event may have had a very consistent day, say scores of 92-92-92=276, while one shooter may have had a really bad score followed by a mediocre score and finished with a relatively hot score, say 79-87-95=261.

If the second guy had the only 95, HE would get the punch, not the winner of the 300-target event.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Jim, what your saying is the last guy to shoot a high score wins and gets the punch? For what, he certainly didn't shoot the marathon high score? About as clear as buttermilk me thinks. Hap

12. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

If I understand the rule correctly, if the same 14 shooters shoot in 4 separate events there would be no punches unless someone shoots a 96 or higher.

By the example above you need 15 different shooters in the events with less than 15 shooters to award a punch.

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The "punches" are on each 100 targets regardles if it is a 300 bird race or 3 100 bird races. The same "earned yardage" rules apply to each of the 100 targets as to any other 100 targets. Also remember, if it is a money shoot, A punch can be earned for a certain monotary gain. As Neil pointed out, one would need to be careful NOT to shoot from a wrong yardage. "If" they won a punch in the FIRST hundred, they must shoot the next hundred at the longer yardage. The shooter should be aware that he or she could be disqualified for not doing so. Neil is certainly correct in that you would need a shoot offical with a very clear understanding of the rules to keep everybody out of trouble.

14. motrap

motrap Member

Hap ........

It's 15 DIFFERENT shooters that must combine for punches ...... the SAME 5 shooters are not counted more than once each

AND it's the same whether it is a 300 target event or 3 - 100 target events on the same day ........

....... Rudy

15. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Except at State and Grand shoots I no longer participate in 200 or 300 bird events. It is a pain to get re classed in the middle of an event or finish at a different yardage than you started. The problem is even worse if it causes a change in class or if the yardage change moves you from short to mid or mid to long etc. In a recent class event I was winning after the first 100 but was re classed for the second 100. So no trophy for the first day and because I did not win the new class on the second no trophy there either. I know it saves the club some trophy money but for me I just no longer shoot these events. So before I get flamed it is my entry money and I can use it how I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.