1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting A Price From Wenig??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cimmaronkid, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

I just got off the phone with someone at Wenig that couldn't tell me a set price for machining my wood to put on the mono I just bought. I was going to get their New American stock and have a matching forearm made, but because they didn't know the grade or hadn't seen my wood, she wouldn't give me even a ball park figure. I am going to call and ask for Fred Wenig tomorrow, but am getting a bad feeling about this. I am sure a lot of you have had wood done by them, but is this one of these deals where the higher grade of wood gets charged a higher machining price because they think you should be able to afford it? What gives with them?

2. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

I also got the same answer .Keep us updated on what you find out

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have never done business with Wenig and your description is a big part of why. I also have never received a straight answer on how much for a specific task with my wood. I own several very nice pieces of wood and would like to get one or some stocks made. They could be finished or just the pantogram with someone else to finish. But, my impression is that Wenig sells wood as much or more than work. Please let us know what you find out. Jake

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had called about having a stock that I customized with bondo on my 870. I wanted a that stock duplicated with some wood I had. It took a few phone calls to get all the info/answers. They where more than patient. I later decided it was not cost efective for me. I then bought their semi inletted stock and fit and finished myself. Maybe she didnt relize you had your own wood? Some types of wood maybe harder to work with. I have purchased 3 semi inletted stocks so far. By no means their Fancy select grades, but worth every penny.

5. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

I let her know up front that I had my own wood and told her exactly what it was and where it came from and how old the blank was. The best I could get was $125-$300, maybe more. She said they have to see the wood. I understand that highly figured wood requires more effort to machine, but somewhere there has to be a firm price range, or am I not in touch with reality? No Lumper replies requested)

6. Urbans

Urbans Member

Excuse me, but Fred Wenig does not operate that way. Strictly top shelf people. Wenig's does from work for people like " The Alfermann Guns", and people like me, average everyday retired factory worker. I'm sure that if you have a problem, Mr Wenig will certainly try and resolve it. Thanks, Ed Freise.

7. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

I was reading TS.com after work and thought the timing was too good to pass. Severqal years ago I left my MX-8 and TM-1 special with Fred Wenig to refinsh after a target year. I paid around $600.00 to have both guns recnditioned. I paid my bill before shipment, which I fully undersand. I was sick when I opened the box. I have seen apple cates with a better finish than what I received. My straight grained,(not exhibition grade)wood, typical for Perazzis of that era had a dark color that accentuated the grain in the wood. Now, it's like a bleached blond. No color whatsoever.

I today boxed it up and sent it to Midwestern Gun Works in Pevely, MO. In case you don't know, they are the folks who restore all the salt wood guns for Browning. They do excellent work. I have used them before and will again. Fred is a nice guy and I should have returned them upon receipt when I wasn't happy. Just a personal experience.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wenig is top shelf

If you have problems with his honest replies to your non specific questions- than go somewhere else

If he says that he has to see the wood- he has to see the wood- what part of that can you not understand?

Gene

9. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Sorry about the mispells. My keyboard is sticking.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid of Wenig. They're just being honest. They wont know how to quote until they see your wood.

By trying to nail them down on the phone they run the risks of quoting too high (to cover their butt)and lose your business or quoting too low and locking in a no or little profit deal for themselves. Either way it's a no win situation for them.

If you were in their shoes you would do the same thing after learning the in's and out's of quoting. With all due respect........Barry

11. larryjk

larryjk Member

I buy machined wood from Wenig and have them duplicate some from my wood. I have never been screwed by Wenig. They take a risk when they machine your wood. I had them machine a piece of walnut burl that was unusable due to all of the voids. I understood the risks with burl, BUT SOME PEOPLE DON'T. If Wenigs say the wood split, who do you blame? Some people have to find something to bitch about.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have learned one thing about doing business with Wenig. If you don't go there and actually stand in his shop and review their whole process you will be sorry. Everyone that I have know that has done that has been 100% satisfied. The fitting and ability to select the correct wood eliminate all problems. I am not in the position to take the time to make the trek to his shop so I have never done any business with him. I was a little put off with their pricing schedule that doubled the inletting charge with each grade of wood. I could see some cost difference but not double. This is where Wenig is supply the wood. I agree I would not quote an inletting charge on a piece of wood unless I saw it.

TB

13. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

While still trying to figure out why I couldn't even get a ball park price from Wenig, I contacted Tim Rossbach at Northwood Gunstocks, Inc., sent him a picture of the blanks, gave him all the information I had received and immediately got back a price for machining the wood. I was so impressed with his timely reply and answers to all of my dumb questions, I am going to have him fit the wood as well as finish and checker this stock set. He can accomidate me as to cast and toe and is right up front with his pricing. Much nicer experience than Wenig. Tim will also get more of my work because of this. Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wenig stock blank prices