1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Get rid of Timeshare?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mcneeley5, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Jan 2, 2008
    The wife and me made a BIG mistake a few years ago buying a Marriott timeshare. We don't use it, annual fees are getting more expensive. Have any of you sold one? Ours is paid for and in Las Vegas. I talked to a company that charges $3,500 to take it off my hands, I declined.
  2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Lakeside, California
    I owned two timeshares at one time. One is in Palm Springs and the other was in Cabo San Lucas. I used the Cabo timeshare once in 10 years of owning it and have used the Palm Springs once in 12 years of owning it.

The timeshare in Cabo was a 10 year contract that ran out in 2010 (because you can't actually own property in Mexico) and man was I ever glad to get rid of that. Basically I paid $6000 for it and $500 every year for maintenance, and only used it one time. You talk about foolish. And my friends and family used it one time as well. That's some expensive vacations.

The Palm Springs timeshare has been way better to us. We have traded it nearly every year and gone skiing in Tahoe several times, had family stay in Orlando and go to Disneyworld, etc. I don't regret Palm Springs at all.

There are timehshare companies out there that will offer to sell your timeshare for you. Do not even give them the time of day. I paid $850 to a realty company to have them sell Cabo for me. In three years of listing it, I had ONE phone call with a lowball offer to buy. Their offer was an insult, like $1500. I paid $6000 for Cabo, so there was no way I was taking a loss like that! Now I wish I had taken it. Because I have a complete loss of $11,000 on the place.

My advice to you is this, it is all up to you how badly you want to get rid of it. Remember this, in most instances (unlike my case with Cabo) you will own this thing the rest of your life. And guess what, there was probably a small print thing that you didn't notice when you signed up that states that your children are responsible for the timeshare after you die. Check your contract.

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Sep 17, 2008
    http://www.tug2.net/ Timeshare Users Group

Sell it your self. It can be done .... I've done it!

If you can not manage to get more out of it (rental or use) than the maintenance fee is costing you .... SELL.
  4. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    We have had one in Sarasota Fla. for 25 years. We've used it every year. They are now selling for 3 times what we paid for it and no units are currently for sale for the weeks we own. Its been great for us. Three of our kids live in the area so they don't get tired of us nearly as fast as if we stayed with them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.