1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Get out of Dodge

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

For all you heroes who are thinking about riding out Irene. Contemplate being with out power for 28 days or more. Remember Ivan or Katrina. When they say scram---do it.

Good Luck & be safe.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of an online map like bing or google maps that shows elevation?? We have a few friends close to the water in New Jersey, and would like to know their danger level.

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Google Earth shows elevations. It's free, but you have to download it.

4. Russ-in-Pa

OK Tom. Thank you!!!

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Being without power for weeks at a time is only a small part of it!!! Everything in your home can be replaced!!! "Exept Your Loved Ones" Take them and get out. Please!!! Remember most victims of hurricanes die by drowning!!! Best of Luck to all that are affected by this storm!!! Break-em all JEff

6. Russ-in-Pa

Well, The friend's houses range from 17 ft above sea level to 37 ft above.

The bad news is one owns a restaurant and apartment building at 8 1/2 ft, and about 1/4 mile in from the beach.

They are prepared though. (NOT) They are going out now to get plywood to board up windows, and to (try to) buy a generator.

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Our thoughts are with them, Russ.

8. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Russ

What town are they in. Most of my friends live in Sea Bright where sea level ranges from 4 ft to less than 10 ft.

Doug

9. avery53

avery53 Member

I think it would be tough to leave, knowing the low-lifes and looters are staying to clean you out. Tough decision.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I am sitting in Avalon, NJ at the moment (10:00 PM - 14 feet about mean high tide). Preparing a friends house for the potential onslaught.

The pannick exodus I saw this evening was depressing - ugly lines at gas stations, cutting in and out of traffic with NO actual evacuation order in effect (It is due to start tomorrow evening).

People are in "me first" mode and screw everyone else.

I understand that there is a POTENTIAL that this could be a nasty storm. I grew up on the Outerbanks of NC so I am perhaps a bit jaded, but where is the true and final path of the storm taking it?? That should determine who moves and when and only if truly necessary.

Why would you deny people a chance to stay and work at saving their private property - what happened to free choice in this country??

Reminds me of the effect of a bat loose in a second grade classroom.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of this up in New Jersey!!! But Its how people pull together in the aftermath that will take you surprise. Here In Florida it was like your talking about before the storm hit. People did not pull together until after the storm, but did it in a very big way. It made me feel proud to be a floridian. I hope that all the people in your area can come together and do the same thing. Best of Luck to all in the path. May God Bless. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.