1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

get a motion detector

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Twinbirds, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

my sister and her husband woke up one morning only to find out someone had emptied the gun cabinet in their bedroom, whilst they were sleeping......it is a good thing they never woke up while they were being robbed, it is hard to tell what the outcome would have been. a couple of things, whomever did it knew them, their house and the dog, and the thief would have probably killed them to remain at large. Nothing has been revealed through the police investigation. A simple motion detector alarm would have interrupted the thievery. oh yeah they now lock their doors at night.

2. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Get a motion detector and hook it to a teargas wall gun with a off and on switch. That will take care of protecting your guns. :)

Dave

3. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

Contacts on every door and window...glass break detectors...passive infra red detectors...smoke & heat detectors. All hardwired and home run to the pannel.

Do it the right way.

Vern

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a dual alarm system that is for the most part fail safe. Dog always barks with even a fly fart and the gunshots that follows solves the next problem.

Ask my 18yr old that tried to sneak out one night. Dog ratted his butt out.

5. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Twinbirds,
    I'm sorry to be so cruel, but (and there is always a but) if the dumd-asses had locked the doors, this wouldn't have happened! And they probably wouldn't need a motion detector! I think I would shoot the dog, too!

Sounds like they deserved this to happen. Not locking doors, and not having the guns in a safe.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

They now lock their doors at night. Hmmm. If I did not lock my doors at night, I would at minimum have booby traps set. Especially if I live in the country.

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

they haven't locked their doors for the 28 years they have been married, they do now.I wonder why they wasn't robbed when nobody was home? both work steady jobs

8. Robb

Robb Member

A buddy and I were talking at lunch the other day and neither of us even knew if there WAS a house key when we were kids. Both have always lived on the farm.

I'm 52 and it is really sad what our area has become. I have gotten out of bed to be sure the doors are locked. I feel that if the door is broken he has lost any right he ever had.

It has to be stopped.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It has to become common knowledge that burglary is punishable by death. Instantaneously.

Put up a sign that says "Anyone found Here At Night Will Be Found Here In The Morning"

HM

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

are you kidding? really sucks about their loss, but how dumb can you get!! an open front door AND an unlocked gun cabinet!?!?! they should be thanking their lucky stars that they are still alive.

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this kind of shit. But it is good they were not killed.

I am betting it is somebody they know and for sure the dog knows who ever it was.

I am curious, how many guns were taken?

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

count gun was not discussed when I talked to Sis but the .22 40x Remington target rifle I gave my niece was in there and she wanted me to know it was gone. last of my recollection of what they had where mostly hunting guns, nothing fancy but all serviceable. probably total of 7 long guns and two revolvers. The county deputy told them that rural areas are starting to get hit hard area. also missing was a pharmacy bag of medications that had been on the kitchen table.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Kind of unusual that the dog did not bark. Even if they knew the person, I would think it would still make some kind of noise. Plus they where in the bedroom, while they where sleeping. I wake up when I hear the cat walking in the room. I can hear the carpet crunching, and her back leg joint has a little snap. My gun would have been unloaded before his hand left the door latch, or most certainly before I could finish saying GET OUT! A shovel, patching holes in the drywall and changing the carpet is way cheaper than defending yourself in a trial.

14. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Sounds like an inside job to me...

FRedmon

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

So sad for that to happen. Must be one hell of sound sleepers for sure. Forget about any damned signs about what might happen. Can you imagine what the news people would do with a sign like that? Many ,but unfortunately not all, states have a Castle Doctrine nowadays. Expensive lesson for them, glad they wre not hurt. Bill in Ohio

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I bet they sleep a lot lighter now!, even with the doors locked. the lab is getting on in years (13-14) and he might be deaf. I can't imagine anyone being that bold, I know what would happen at my place... you got to keep an ear out for the coyotes and such.

17. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Who wouldn't lock their doors at night?

Who still uses gun cabinets instead of safes?

It's the real world out there.

18. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Stl Flyn,

like Big Bob said, I would shoot the dog, too. Unbelievable that in this day and age they didn't lock their doors? They are lucky this hasn't happened sooner.

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Old habits are hard to break,,,,when I grew up house unlocked, cars unlocked and KEYS in them,,,,20 years NEVER had a problem,,,,we were in the country and closest neighbor was 1/2 miles away and Shep always let us know when we had visitors,,,,but times (character of people) were different then,,,,,Sakly so,,,,

Now that being said, $20 says it is someone that has been in that house SEVERAL times and had planned this for a time,,,,even if dog was deaf,,,,,should have been able to smell intruder and if unrecognized; sounded the alarm....

20. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Do they have children? If so, what ages?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.