1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Germinate Hickory Nuts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by loophole, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

I know this is out of this site's context, but how do you germinate hickory nuts. I've got some and I've seen shaggybark hickories and I want to grow my own. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I haven't did hickory nuts, but 10 years ago I did some black walnuts. I soaked the walnuts in shell in a bucket of water for 3 or 4 days. I then put them in a paper bag with some potting soil around them and stuck them in the freezer for a couple of months. I took them out of freezer and planted a couple of nuts in a pot. When the nut sprouted, I would then find place to plant tree.

One guy told me he does the soak nut in water to freezer thing twice. Soaked em in water, freeze em, warm em up for a couple of weeks, resoak, refreeze then he plants em. He says that is the way to trick nut into thinking it went through 2 winters, then it will sprout.

Google germinating hickory nuts and see what comes up.

There was an old guy who had a weekend radio garden show. His name was Jerry Baker, and I heard him talk about ways to plant nuts. He had a website at one time, might be some info there.

3. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

A suggestion... don't try to plant shagbarks from nuts. There are too many conditions that have to be right for the nuts to germinate and take root. You'll have better luck if you buy nursery stock that has the shagbark grafted to an established root stock. And then be willing to wait 10-15 years for the first decent harvest; these trees grow very slowly even in good conditions.

Andy Moreland

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

tschoenke I have included a link above and a gain below(as it is quite lengthy. See if it will help you. Good Luck

Bob Lawless

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4TSHB_enUS286US286&q=Germinate+Hickory+Nuts

5. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Old boys around our area usually soak em incider for half an hour or so but you need to remember if you put plastic around them they may not germinate and if you dont it may not take a half an hour to germinate. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.