1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

German Short Hair vs. Springer Spaniel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mbm5770, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

Im an currently in the market for a bird dog. I have settled between a short hair or a springer. I was hoping some of you guys that have owned both or either would help me with my choice. I have a large home with a decent sized yard. I have three daughters 10-3-11 months. Dog will be worked in the field at least once a week, and excersized daily. Dog will be kept indoors. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. 548

548 Guest

What drew you to these two breeds? I'm assuming you like the look since they have a similar look. We had a springer spaniel when I was a kid, they are nice but you will have to bath and de-cocklebur it every time you return from hunting. German shorthair would be my pick between the two.

I would really encourage you to take a hard look at a Labrador Retriever.

3. Carmen

Carmen Member

For me the Springer is the best choise. Great family dog and the best flushing breed I have ever hunted with...

4. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

548:

Yes your correct, I like the look of them both.

5. Garry

Garry Active Member

I have owned 2 German Shorthair's and 2 English Springer Spaniels. All 4 were excellent bird dogs and when I buried each one I cried for days. As you know, the Shorthair is a pointer and the Springer Spaniel is a flusher.

Based on your comments, I would recommend a Field Bred English Springer Spaniel. They are great family dogs.

Having said that, my second Shorthair slept with my son in his bed and when he went to Russia as an exchange student in his sophomore year in high school, I slept in his bed with the Shorthair.

I now own a 10 year old Gordon Setter that I bought at 10 weeks old and she sleeps with me and my wife in our bed.

I will be 67 this December and if I get another bird dog it will be an English Springer Spaniel.

6. Garry

Garry Active Member

I trimmed my Springer Spaniel's and my Gordon Setter just before opening day and burrs are not that big on an issue.

I also like Lab's but highly prefer the smaller English/British Lab over the bigger American Lab.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

German Wirehair Pointer. Points, retrieves, goes in water, works much closer and slower than a shorthair. Very, very socialized. Very protective, barks at everything. I will never have another breed after sixty years with setters and Springers. Springers will always be my second choice.

8. 548

548 Guest

Garry, I agree with your assessment of the lab. I paid a little extra and bought my lab from a breeder that breeds a couple litters a year for show purposes. They are a little smaller and have that English style block head with the short snout. My lab is also a house dog and for that reason I wanted a smaller female.

Anyone interested in a lab check the link.

9. Garry

Garry Active Member

Hi Eightbore,

What bloodlines should one look for in the German Wirehair Pointer breed?

Which kennels produce the best German Wirehair Pointers?

Thanks,
    Garry

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Shorthair, dog on uppers.
    Springer,dog on grass.

11. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Several people have pointed out that a Springer should come out of field trial breeding. Show springers have lost virtually all their "Hunt"

12. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

yea Im not looking for a "beauty queen". I would like a good looking dog, but I want a hunting buddy that will always show up, and a good companion for my family.

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

No question in my mind = the English Springer Spaniel FIELD Trial dog. Once trained the ESS never forgets. In Calif. they are the most under rated dog. One of the few breeds that will retrieve dove. Upland and water work. I had them for 40 years and this is the first time I have not had a spaniel. They are so easily trained and are GREAT with kids. Fred

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Wire Hair Pointer may be a great field dog but in Europe they were originally bred to be the Gamekeepers dog and would protect the property. The politically correct term they use to describe their personality is "Sharpness". The English Springer would probably be a friendlier house dog.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

As with any breed, make sure it's out of hunting stock. There are air heads in both breeds. A good hunting dog is an investment in both time and money. If possible watch the breeding pair hunt, get references, and do your homework.

16. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Interestingly no one has mentioned the major difference between the two breeds - The Springer is a close working flusher while the Shorthair is a pointer - frequently big runners but not always. Nothing is more fun than pheasant hunting over several Springers in my book - and I run Setters now! Think about what birds you like to hunt and what style suits you. Also if you hunt with others do they run pointers or flushers.

For a family dog the Springer would be my choice. Call Rachel Allenby @ Allenby Gunroom & Kennels www.allenbykennels.com/, Liberty Hills, TX. Great blood lines, training, size and all. A field bred Springer not quite good enough for Field trialing makes a heck of a nice bird dog.

Cazador de cordoniz

17. schwabby

schwabby Member

I know its not on your list but you might consider a German Wirehair. They are a lot calmer than shorthairs, retrieve like a lab as long as its not too cold and have a good nose. Shorthairs end up as rescue dogs frequently because they are so hyper for at least a few years. On the downside wirehairs tend to be very methodical and slow if you are used to pointers and setters.

Steve Schwab

18. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I am surprised that no one has thrown Brittany Spaniels into the mix.

I have owned Brits, German Shorthairs, German Wirehairs, English Pointers, English Setters, and Labs. Have hunted grouse, quail, pheasant, and lots and lots of ducks.

Quail, no contest, the english pointer.

Grouse, the wirehair.

Pheasant, they all did pretty well, no clear cut winner.

Ducks, no contest, the labs.

Overall winner for me as a combo hunting and house dog, the labs.

Second place, the Brit.

Your mileage may vary.

doc

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You have kids, plus house dog, and still want to hunt. There is only one breed "Lab."

20. trosey

trosey TS Member

If variety matters at all you won't do better than a field bred springer. In just over 2 hours on Saturday. My two boys killed 2 rabbits, 1 pheasant, 3 woodcock and 1 turkey over our springer. She beautifully flushed everything with in range. The turkey flock she broke and we called a gobbler back in. All of that and she loves to hunt grouse as well. She's been a great house dog and loves all four of my kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a german short haired pointer and a springer spaniel which one would make the best family dog and hunting dog
english springer spaniel short hair
french spaniel vs german shorthaired
german shorthaired pointer vs english springer

german shorthaired pointer vs springer spaniel

german springer spaniel

labrador vs german shorthaired pointer

short haired springer spaniel