1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GERMAN HANDGUN OBTAINED IN WWll

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    FIRST OF ALL, I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HANDGUNS! i had a an uncle that was a ranger in WWll, he is now deceased. he fought the Germans in CZECHOSOLOVAKIA. he shot and killed a german officer and the german officer was wearing a pistol. when i was a kid in the early 60's, he showed me the picture of him kneeling next to the officer, while he was checking him for documents. someone in his unit took the picture. in the picture the officers pistol was showing. my uncle some how was able to bring the pistol and leather holster back to the states when he returned home. my uncled passed away around 10 years ago, his son, who is my cousin, owns the gun along with the picture and letter of authenticity. my cousin is not a gun collector, infact, he is presently working in Germany. last time I spoke to my cousin which was a couple of years ago, i asked him if he still owned the gun. he said he did, it sits with all the other things he inherited from his father. what type of pistol do you think this german officer was wearing? the grips were white, don't know if it is ivory or some other material. the gun has not been used since that day the officer was killed. under these conditions, on how my uncle obtained the pistol, along with the holster and pictures and letter, should he ever decide to sell it, is their any historical value or is it just another gun? i am very proud of my uncle. he was a ranger and held the rank of a sargent. my father said his brother saw a lot of action. my dad also passed away 4 years ago. he was on an island in WWll called Okinowa. my uncle and father rarely talked about their experiences in the war. I consider them both heroes, as well as every other man and woman who every served.
    any info you can give me about possibly the type of gun etc, would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

In addition to the P-38 and P-08 "Luger" a wide assortment of pistols were carried by German officers, many of whom purchased them.

Some of the more common ones included: Mauser HSc; Mauser 1910; Browning Hi-Powers (GP-35s), many of which were made in Belgium during occupation and "nazi marked", less common but still encountered included Polish Vis-35 "Radom" (also many nazi marked)and various models from Czech CZ-27s to Spanish Star and Astra 400 models and Italian Berettas.

The Japanese, being issued the Nambu, allowed their officers to do the same thing and many Japanese officers bought and carried a variety of handguns, including some US commercial handguns in preference to their Nambu and Type 94 pistols which were notoriously unreliable and could be fired simply by pressing on the side of the frame!

3. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

From the information you provided, it's quite clear that it's a Ruger .22

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

senior smoke: post a pic (or pics) of it. That will give you a place to start and at least identify the model.

(From your post, I cannot tell if you know anything about guns, and I get the impression your cousin does not - so make sure you know how to check to make sure it's unloaded - or let someone else who is knowledgeable do it and then take pics)

5. senior smoke

thanks for all the info. like i said i know nothing about handguns. i hope this gun is not loaded. i can't imagine my uncle leaving a loaded pistol in it's holster all these years. but as you all know, it just might be loaded. secondly, my uncle always cleaned and oiled his guns. if this pistol was cleaned and oiled and left in the holster, is there a good possibility that it is rusted? when my cousin gets home from germany, i will ask him to take the gun to a gun store and have them see if it is loaded. we both know nothing about hand guns. what about these white grips on this gun? would they be ivory or pearl? didn't general patton's handgun have special grips?
    thanks again for all your help.
    steve balistreri

6. senior smoke

thanks for all the info. like i said i know nothing about handguns. i hope this gun is not loaded. i can't imagine my uncle leaving a loaded pistol in it's holster all these years. but as you all know, it just might be loaded. secondly, my uncle always cleaned and oiled his guns. if this pistol was cleaned and oiled and left in the holster, is there a good possibility that it is rusted? when my cousin gets home from germany, i will ask him to take the gun to a gun store and have them see if it is loaded. we both know nothing about hand guns. what about these white grips on this gun? would they be ivory or pearl? didn't general patton's handgun have special grips?
    thanks again for all your help.
    steve balistreri

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Steve, General George S. Patton carried two revolvers at times, both with ivory grips. They are initialed "GSP". The first is a Colt .45 Single Action, and the second is a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum. His holsters were made by El Paso Saddlery. The revolvers are on display at the Patton Museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

When asked about his "pearl-handled" revolvers by a reporter, he supposedly uttered, "Only a pimp, from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse, carries a pearl-handled pistol."

Best,
    Dennis

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Steve,

I wouldn't take the gun anywhere. Depending on what state you live in, you and/or your cousin could be committing a felony by transporting a handgun without a permit.

My best advice would be to have a trusted friend or family member who IS properly trained and knowledgeable about firearms, handle the gun first, clear the action and make sure it isn't loaded.

Since neither you, nor your cousin are familiar with firearms, nor trained nor licensed - DO NOT - handle it

You would be surprised how many people left loaded guns laying around.

Take a firearms safety course and get someone who is knowledgeable to check the gun.

Always treat any firearm as if it is loaded at all times. Assume yours is.

You can get safety information from the NRA, your state's DEP/hunting, and local gun clubs.

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Buzz...now THAT was funny !!! LOLOLOL !!.........Uncle Sam

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Next Buzz will be offering him $20 bucks for it. It should be easy to identify with a photo.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I'm going to relay this thread to the German Government. They've been looking for these pistols for years. I understand they offer rewards or prison terms[YOUR CHOICE]! They're also pissed about all those fake hitler moustaches that were made after the war. If you got one of them, you are in business!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.