1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Georgian luger Kumaritashvili dies from crash

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerbear, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Above is the video of the poor guy hitting the pole.

UPDATE: The Vancouver Sun is reporting that Nodar Kumaritashvili has died from the injuries suffered in today's crash

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a Georgian luger, has suffered what sounds like one of the most horrible accidents imaginable just hours before the official start of the Olympics. According to the Associated Press, Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over a wall, and slammed into a metal pole. Observers said Kumaritashvili's sled was traveling nearly 90 mph.

The 21-year-old was knocked unconscious and his injuries are considered life-threatening. Kumaritashvili was administered CPR and was air-lifted to a Whistler hospital following the crash. The 2010 Games would have been Kumaritashvili's first Olympics.

Kumaritashvili's crash occurred at the fastest part of the track, which steeply declines for 152 meters, making it the world's longest luge drop. This is the third crash there in the last two days. Earlier on Friday, defending gold medalist Armin Zoeggeler of Italy lost control but suffered no injuries. On Thursday, female Romanian luger Violeta Stramaturaru crashed and was air-lifted from the track. Her injuries are not considered serious.

I wonder how many will be hurt or killed at that turn?

Jerbear

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

CBS showed the accident on national news.....VERY tasteless on their part as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if netting above the concrete would have helped?

Regardless of the political beliefs of any of the nations in the Olympics I wish them all well and hope nothing like this happens again.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I would think a wall of padding at that turn might save another life. It has already taken out 3 people.

Jerbear

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Or a least a inch thick piece of Lexan to contain them at speed,...that poor fellow never had a chance

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I know that a joke here would be in poor taste "but", it is my theory his sled may have been sabotaged by a sports announcer so that he wouldn't have to pronounce that name during the Olympics.

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Looked like to me that he hit with such force the helmet of his broke with pieces flying. He hit at an estimated speed of 88mph. I seriously doubt he would have lived had he not hit with his trunk and upper body hitting square on to the column. I think at that speed his spine would have severed had his head not taken the brunt of the force of the accident. So sorry to see it happen I just keep going back to remembering the ski jumper back in the 60's wipe out and take out the handrails made of wood and he had very few injuries. Lets hope there are no more accidents of this sort during the games. Dan

7. DocJim

DocJim Member

Have you noticed that over the last 2 or 3 winter Olympics that the events are getting faster, more daring and therefore more dangerous. Just look at several of the ski events, the snow boarding events and the sprint speed skating events. It's all an effort to increase TV viewing and therefore more money for the IOC. If they continue this trend there will be more fatalities. That track should be shut down until it is made slower.............AJ

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I've seen some pretty tough things as a surgeon but nothing has bothered me as much as that video, especially with the sound on.

9. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I can't believe they design a course with columns that close to the run. The chances of a crash during these events are pretty good. For this day and age not much thought on safety and design.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

HD , I just had to make the comment that you did have bad taste on your statement, considering a man has lost his life and you make a joke of the pronunciation plus insinuating it may have been a news commentator that sabatoged this incident also. Lack of sympathy on your part

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Poor course design. There should have been a catch fence at this curve just like there is at NASCAR racing. Not only would it have save this guys life but it probably kept the sled out of the crowd.

Tom

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I saw the sled still on the track when the accident happened . They say it was operator error too after they watched all the tapes . Whatever did happen or any accidents in the future , there shouldn`t be any deaths. Accidents will happen .

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I am really disappointed that the Canadian Olympic Committee/IOC are putting the cause of death on the deceased Luge competitor. Poor course safety design resulted in this young man's death. Those unpadded steel columns with no front barrier stand as a stark reason for the death.

DoubleAuto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.