1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Georgia State ducumentation fee

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gun1357, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

We are trying to negotiate buying a car from a company in Atlanta. They say we have to pay a state fee of $700 for the documentation. Does that sound right? We don't have that high rate in Texas. Ron

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I tried but there is no actual listing other than to say it is unlimited. Ron

Added: Further investigation shows that a dealer can set any fee from 0 - $899 but then must charge that fee on every transaction. Average in Georgia is $502. Charging a different fee can result in a discrimination complaint. You can negotiate the price but not the documentation fee. Ron

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

That is the source of the information I added above. Ron

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Tell them no way or you'll buy another car from somewhere else...thats totally ludicrous and a state sanctioned scam

5. John 53

John 53 Member

South Carolina has no such fee. Come on over and get your car.

6. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

FROM EDMUNDS.COM:

In states where doc fees are not regulated by the government a dealership will often sell a car at a very attractive price but then hit the buyer with a $399 doc fee when the contract is drawn up. If you refer to our chart, and see that doc fees are not capped in your state, you should find out early on in the buying process what the dealership charges. If it is high — anything over $100 — you will need to negotiate more aggressively to offset this price.

Georgia has no limit set by the state!

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I ran into something like this in Ohio and Maine. I was told that it's both fallout and a requirement derived from The Patriot Act. Apparently the car sales companies are now required to keep these transactions on-file and immediately available to the Fed's for 10 years.???

In Ohio the fee was $255, and supposedly the maximum allowed. In Maine it was $200, so I didn't really question it. $700 seems really high to me, in any regard. I can only imagine it has to do with the rapid tracing of car-bombs? If it's true at all?

IMHO,
    Kip

8. burtona

burtona Member

I don't think North Carlina has any regulation on Doc fees but I'm not sure. Dealers want to add it on to cover the cost of their paper work. I don't talk about it with them until signing time and I have always make them take it off the deal or I walk. Not one has made it a deal breaker and let me walk because of it so far.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd just tell them that a $700 fee of any kind is a dealbreaker. Lower the price of the car by $1000 and they can pay the fee and keep the extra $300.

LOTS of car dealers out there. As quoted in another post...."Vote with your feet...walk out and don't look back."

Don't miss the opportunity to stick it to them.

Good luck.

10. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

This is a special limited edition car my daughter wants or I wouldn't be going 1,000 miles from home. I just got an email from United Airlines that says I will land in Atlanta on Tuesday at 3:08 p.m. I think I have lost control here. I can't argue with any of your comments. Ron

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just hope she don't total it our within a week.

GneJ

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It took just 53 days on the last one. Someone else ran into it. I guess grey cars don't show up very well in a rainstorm. This one will be white with pink stripes. Ron

13. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Final report: The car is in my daughter's garage. Bottom line was reasonable and the folks at the Atlanta dealership were great. Hopefully this discussion of documentation fees will help someone else in the future. Ron

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Doc fees are in most cases built in profit. As are process fees, advertising fees and any other type of dealer fee. The bottom line is car, tax, and license/registration. Anything else is hustle. Unless it can be proven through a state law, which the dealer can provide.

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It's called ADP- Additional Dealer Profit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.