1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** George Weikum Tragedy ***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Harv Shell, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I put this in the shooting related threads, as George was a lifelong trapshooter and past Illinois ATA delegate for many years. <br>
    I always considered George to be invincible, larger than life and someone who always conquered no matter what the quest. He was quick with a smile, never knew a stranger and generally was the center of attention wherever he went. <br>
    I was proud to call him a friend, and we are all deeply saddened by his tragic loss. Debbie and I send our heartfelt condolences to Collette and Ondrea for their loss. Harv Shell<br>
    Click on the link above to see the drunken piece of garbage that took George's life.

2. Rooksd1

Rooksd1 Member

Condolences to the family and friends, what a shame.

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

Very sad....

4. Harv Shell

Be sure to read the comments at the end of the article.

5. philk

philk Member

No a bit different than putting a gun to someones head and pulling the trigger, should be looking at a murder charge.

6. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

All,

As many of you know, I am good friends with the Weikum family. We began hanging out and shooting with Eric, which of course involved George and Collette & eventually Ondrea. When Eric died, Ondrea became our "little sister". So much in fact that three of us (myself, Drea & Andy Suda) had such a good Grand in 2009, we decided together, as a team, to go after the 2010 All-American Team. I am proud to say that I achieved this honor, but I am even more proud to say that WE achieved this as a TEAM.

This is indeed a tragedy and it still seems to be a dream (which both Andy and I agreed it felt like when we were talking a few minutes ago). As I sit in this hotel room in Nashville about to finish the first trade show of my new career, it just does not seem real. How can one family endure so much heartbreak? How can God inflict so much pain on two people? Why do these things happen?

Trapshooting lost a great shooter & ambassador 7 years ago. A wonderful young man that showed that regardless of the obstacles, you could do whatever you set your mind to. On Saturday, we lost another great man & ambassador to trapshooting - the person that to that day still had not fully accepted the loss of his son. At the very least now, they are enjoying their time together in heaven.

I will be starting a new thread to collect any well wishes and thoughts that you would like to be brought to the family on Wednesday & Thursday.

Sincerely,

John Voliva

7. Harv Shell

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's plenty of blame to go around. The drunk was coming from a golf outing to benefit his son's baseball team. Did all the people around him think it was o.k. to let him drive himself home?

Friends don't let friends drink and drive.

9. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Was at Brittany over the weekend and received the call Saturday evening. Sunday morning the clubhouse reflected the loss of George in everyones eyes. My daughters second marriage was attended by Eric as He and Don were the best of friends and hunting partners. George was a large part of Downers Grove Sportsmens Club when I joined many years ago. As every post has said. George was bigger than life and became a friend who will never be forgotten. The Weikum Family has had more loss than can be imagined. To Collette and Ondrea my heartfelt condolences. George will be missed and never forgotten by everyone who had the good fortune to know him.

Jim Olin

10. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

Sorry for the loss,they are hard to take. I lost a hunting partner last week who was an old airborn soldier and an example for all men and soldiers. On his funeral card it said" You only live once,if you live it right,once is enough!"
    I hadn't heard it before and I thought it was real neat.Like he was.

11. Harv Shell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.