1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

George Weikum - RIP - 1953-2011

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jevoliva, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

All,

As many of you know, I am good friends with the Weikum family. We began hanging out and shooting with Eric, which of course involved George and Collette & eventually Ondrea. When Eric died, Ondrea became our "little sister". So much in fact that three of us (myself, Drea & Andy Suda) had such a good Grand in 2009, we decided together, as a team, to go after the 2010 All-American Team. I am proud to say that I achieved this honor, but I am even more proud to say that WE achieved this as a TEAM.

This is indeed a tragedy and it still seems to be a dream (which both Andy and I agreed it felt like when we were talking a few minutes ago). As I sit in this hotel room in Nashville about to finish the first trade show of my new career, it just does not seem real. How can one family endure so much heartbreak? How can God inflict so much pain on two people? Why do these things happen?

Trapshooting lost a great shooter & ambassador 7 years ago. A wonderful young man that showed that regardless of the obstacles, you could do whatever you set your mind to. On Saturday, we lost another great man & ambassador to trapshooting - the person that to that day still had not fully accepted the loss of his son. At the very least now, they are enjoying their time together in heaven.

My family and I will be traveling up to Joliet, IL on Wednesday for the viewing & funeral. Please post anything here that you would like us to deliver to family.

If you would like send something more private, please e-mail to the address above.

Sincerely,

John Voliva

2. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

The link above is to the funeral home's memorial page -- please feel feee to share your memories of George...

3. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thoughts and prayers are with your family. George will be greatly missed by the many who had the pleasure of knowing him, both on and off the trapshooting line.

Aaron Willoughby

4. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

I wish I hadn't turned on my computer. Terrible news.

I met George and Collette in 1978 and we became life long friends.

What a loss.

We will try to contact Collette and Ondrea but please pass along our condolences.

Clif and Lynda Adams

5. GatorFan

GatorFan TS Member

We are terribly sorry to here about George's passing. I remember George being full of life and supremely proud of his children.

Jennifer Wilburn

6. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Several of you have e-mailed me wanting to info about where the Weikums would like donations be made to - I will find out this information and post back here.

Thanks,

John

7. t-bar

t-bar Member

thanks for the post John.

Barb

8. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

Collette & Ondrea:
    So sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with your family. Your a "tough" family & will get through this. Peace!
    Wayne & Mary Downham / Camden, IN

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had the good fortune to know George. The first time we were squaded together was The Iowa State Shoot handicap many years back. On one of our fields, the squad was straight. This event became a bond, every time I saw George, he would relate this. He would say that it had never happened since. Only fond memories from the pleasure of knowing George.

10. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

11. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Active Member

John Please give Ondrea and her family our sincere condolences. The Brenners

12. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

13. pobrien

pobrien TS Member

To all
    I am deeply touched by all the comments made about my lifelong friend George Weikum. George and I grew up on farms about 1 mile apart on Lorenzo Road in the unicorporated area called Lorenzo. We were born within two weeks of each other; I was born on 12/27 and George was born on 1/9 the following year ( I know, we are old farts!).

What I can tell you is that the George you got to know was the same George I knew from our early years to our playing football for WHS till now.

Back in the day, George was BIGGER THAN LIFE. His heart and his soul were full of love and respect for his fellow man. He always enjoyed life to the fullest and did many things for his fellow mankind without looking for anything in return or public aknowlegment.

His family and mine grew up "poor as church mice" from an economic perspective but we were rich in knowing each other's family. As our native Americans would say; George was a true Human Being.

We have all been blessed and touched by a great man in knowing George. Reading the posts that y'all have posted have brought back many of my childhood and adulthood memories of George. God Bless you all for this.

Pax Vobiscum and God Bless America.

PO'B

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Lit some candles, turned out all lights and TV on Thursday night. Copied my brother on notifications of George's passing. He called from Europe to inform me that he was born within 4 days of George in the same year. We're all praying for family, close friends and for a very special man who lived for his family and friends.

Deepest sympathies,

Milt, Jim and Jimette Palasota & family

Prayers from FtWorth, Scottsdale, Shannon, Ireland & South Africa

15. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

If you would like to make a donation in George's memory, please make a check out to "The Weikum Fund" and mail it to Ondrea.

If you need her address, e-mail me.

Thanks,

John

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

George was definitely one of the finest trap shooters I have known. His influence and personality live on in Ondrea. My prayers are with the entire family, especially Collette.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

17. Remingggton

Remingggton TS Member

Collette and Ondrea,
    We are very sorry for your loss and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and friends. Big George was always a favorite friend of mine, and I always liked to share a hearty laugh and smile anytime I saw him.

You'll find comfort over time. They have a great start to a squad in heaven with George and the young Jedi.
    Hugs and Love
    Ann, Maddy and Randy Moeller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.