1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

George Steinbrenner dead at 80!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    First of all my condolences to the entire Steinbrenner family and the Yankee organization. He purchased the Yankees back in the 70's for 9 million dollars. Today the Yankees are worth an astronomical amount. If you are from the New york area I am sure you appreciate the open check book that he offered in order to purchase the best talent in all of baseball. Truth be said, he hurt the small market teams more than any opposing player ever did. The Yankees will now be run by his two sons. Hopefully they will consider what is best for baseball and the entire league instead of only themselves. Teams like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh,Kansas city, will never be able to win compared to the east and west coast teams. It is a farce to believe these teams in reality have a chance each year. If any of the small market teams ever win, it is a fluke. True revenue sharing is the way to go for the good of the league, just like in the NFL. Only time will tell if George's two sons have fallen far from the tree or not.

2. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

If revenue sharing is good for Baseball, why not for the United States?

Gates could share his cash with me, and everybody would be even.

I really like revenue sharing in the NFL, when taxpayers pony up a billion dollars for stadiums. An owner in one city "shares" the tax revenues paid by taxpayers in another city.

Indianapolis just handed over $33.5 million to the billionaire Simons to stay in town for another three years.

Nothing like corporfascism.

3. jwells

jwells Member

right....pay one billion for the yankees or two hundred thousand for the indians or pirates and expect equal revenues. but that mentality seems to work for welfare queens and illegals. r.i.p. george

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Can you say "liberal"?

Ed

5. KGUN

KGUN TS Member

Senoir Smoke you couldn't be more wrong. I'm so sick of people saying how small market teams don't have a chance. The only reason they don't have a chance is because they don't want one. The ownership is not interested in winning, all they care about is their bottom line. Did you know that most of these small market teams receive more from revenue sharing then their entire payroll. That means that before the team ever takes the feild it's already made a pofit. You can honestly tell me that a pro baseball team between ticket sales and concessions can't manage to come up with any more money to put a competitive team on the feild? The anwser is YES they can but they won't because it doesn't serve their altimate goal which is money. That's why as a life long Yankee fan I feel fortunate to have had an owner who wants to win just as badley as the fans do. Why is it that the Mets (who are in the same market) can't seem to even make the playoffs? I'll tell you why, because ownership refuses to go the extra mile, refuses to spend the extra money it takes to win, even if that means cutting into their profit margin. Not George, he was one of us, he loved to win and because of that I say THANK YOU BOSS for being such a huge Yankee fan, just like me. Angelo

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I hate big money sports and I use to like being a Yankee fan as far back as the 50`s but no longer . This big money only hurts the little guys who don`t even watch it on TV . Teams have towns build their stadiums with tax payers money , Bullshit !!!

7. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

You have to give Steinbrenner credit. He wanted to win and did what he had to do to achieve that goal. There are too many owners who run their teams like a hobby, enjoy rubbing elbows with the athletes, take their profits (and every pro team makes a profit) and go home - winning be damned.

8. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

You have to give Steinbrenner credit. He wanted to win and did what he had to do to achieve that goal. There are too many owners who run their teams like a hobby, enjoy rubbing elbows with the athletes, take their profits (and every pro team makes a profit) and go home - winning be damned.

9. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

10. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

riderrx1: Respectfully disagree with you.
    Steve

12. lc

lc TS Member

I have to agree with Riderrx1, Steinbrenner did more for baseball than all the other owners together. But more important than that was all of the charities he supported. Hate them or love the Yankees they sure have made baseball more interesting and in the process have helped out thousands of people in New York and the Tampa area. Baseball will be worse off with him gone.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The guy wanted to win, what's wrong with that? He was a colorful guy and good for the game of baseball.

Senior smoke, how do you explain the Florida Marlins and the Chicago Cubs? The Marlins have 2 rings in their short existence and are a small market team, while the Cubs haven't won a damn thing in over a 100 years and are a large market team?

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Just pour more concrete.

15. jwells

jwells Member

riderrx.. you are correct, jacobs and the indians hold the record for home game sellouts. and yet he wouldnt pay for a big time starter and it cost him and the indians a title. then the prick sold indian stock and then sold the team. go yankees and get number 28 for george

16. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

smoking 357,

You are completely wrong on your thinking of how the NFL revenue sharing works. The only money shared is TV revenues. They do not shre their tax evenue. There is also a hard salary cap which makes the league much more equal. If only the other three major leagues would just sit back and look at the "King " of professional sports and get a clue as to what works and what doesn't.

Tim

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Didn't George (who is from Ohio) inherit his fathers shipping business and dabble in minor league basketball? He tried to buy the Cleavland Indians, but the deal fell through, so he bought the Yankees from CBS for 8.8 million. Now they are worth 1.6 BILLION. One hell of a business man.

Wayne

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I believe the family business was/is ship building but your observation is spot-on.

Ed

19. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

I grew up in Baltimore hating the Yankees.

But within a week after the mass murder at Va Tech, Mr. Steinbrenner had his sons call Va Tech with a donation on $1,000,000 and he sent the Yankees to Blacksburg to play an exhibition game. Great guys from all I heard. Alex R. sat in the Tech dugout for 3 innings signing autographs and chatting.

RIP Mr. Steinbrenner.

John
    VA TECH, Class of 1972

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bad news for the Steinbrenner family: George died

Good news for the heirs: He died in 2010 so the heirs will not have to pay the hefty inheritance tax which will be back on the books for 2011.

Now that's how capitalism works.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.