1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

George L. Herter makes the N Y Times book review!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Neil Winston, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Those few of you who consider the New York Times Book Review too parochial will love this week's fond closing essay by Paul Collins. It covers the full range of George's literary output from the Bull Cook's Guide to his Hunting fables and "Histories.". All who looked forward to spring not as Burpee's but rather as Herter's hopeless promise of hope will remember the 50's and 60's as a time of innocence and willing embrace of the impossible. They were great times and fun to remember. If you chance on a copy of either the article or the books or catalogs, sit down with them for a while and relive the thrilling days of yesteryear.

Neil

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Gander Mtn's spot on the NYT list will indeed be a long time comin'

3. Saddletramp

Saddletramp TS Member

The very mention of Herter's cause thoughts of happy days gone by. I discovered Herter's while living in Wyoming during the 50's. Their modest prices allowed me to enter the fields of reloading and converting military surplus rifles into sporters. My double C press remaings in use and has turned out rifle and pistol reloads in the thousands. I still own two center fire rifles fitted with Herter's stocks. Seemingly a small item to praise but the $1.25 bowie knife (complete with sheath and GLH's "How to Survive in the Wilderness" - both discarded) is the finest knife I have ever owned. It too is in use today.

Yep! I miss Herter's. Be great to have them return to their former glory.

Wes Featherstone

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

He wrote a Marriage Manual, entitled "How to Live with a" Bee-itch (last words left out of quotes and edited, but you get the idea).

George Herter was a very colorful man.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Herter's. I carried a dog eared catalogue with me everywhere I went as a kid. Waiting for that package from Herter's to arrive, what anticipation. I still have the Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel I bought from them at maybe 15. Works just fine.

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Got a beautiful custom rib and blue job on dads mod 12 from them in 1962.

Then sent and got a highly figured stock for $45.00. It was sanded but not finished. So they sent a stock finishing kit with it.

And yes I have all but one of his books. Like Neil says fun to read still and his views were the only ones in the world that mattered.

I still use his Worcester sauce recipe it is still the best.

So in the words of Herter "When thing get tough buy whiskey and tobacco. The money may be worthless but they will always have value for trading for what you need" (not quite sure of the exact wording got to read it again) LOL

Rock

Jim

7. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

How about a single barrel trap gun for the "serious" shooter.

A trap gun "you graduate to...not from".

The NEW, Beretta MKII. 32" or 34" barrel.

$368.00

If you didn't want to spend that much money, you could always buy the TR-2 model for $163.50. The one with the release lever in front of the trigger guard.

[​IMG]

Of course that is in 1974 dollars. The pages are starting to get a little yellow on the edges but it is fun to read some of the prices. I purchased a camo coat from them in 1971. I needed it for duck hunting and crow shooting. I tossed it out last year. Yes, it STILL fit thank you.

Don't forget that 1/4 carat "Herters Brilliant Cut Best Possible White Diamonds For Investment And For Gifts"

As low as $98.00

This guy had his sh*t together. What a businessman.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I still have one of their catalogs from approximately 50 years ago. Everything in it was "famous". To this day I still have some Herter's .308 shell casings

9. turmite

turmite Member

Ok talking about old times and Herters......anyone here remember the .22cal Wasp Waist bullets for loading .22 centerfire ammo? I may still have one or two of those. I hadn't thougth of those for years till just now reading this thread.

Mike

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the article.

Neil

11. old tex

old tex TS Member

Wow, you make me young again - I bought a lot of stuff all of it "The worlds best" and some of it was damned good and it all fit a working mans pocketbook!
    unc

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I remember ordering from Herter's in Waseca, MN, and then in '75 visiting the new store in Mitchell, SD, on our way to Colorado. I bought a pile of wads and stuff and when checking out my wife asked where I planned to put it..us in a Nova coupe with kids and all. The gal at checkout just told me to give her my address and they'd ship it. It was on our front porch when we got home with a note asking for a couple bucks for the postage. Can you see Cabella's or Gander doing that. When we had our gun shop we ordered a few of their guns, one a clone of the Browning A5. We had to pay full catalog price, include the FFL and then they shipped the gun and a check for commission. One of the Herter's was Secy of State, I believe. A buddy and I continue to joke about the ads. Herter's Model Perfect, Guide Association Approved..whatever. I miss places like that.

13. JEB

JEB Active Member

Thanks Neil! I gave up on the New York Times some months ago. After 50+ years of reading it, I just could not take it any more. The last thing that I would have expected from the Times was something on Herter's. Wonders never cease.

I still have all three Bull Cook books, the Guide Manual, Secrets of Fresh and Salt Water Fishing and his book on reloading and guns in general -- sort of a latter day W W Greener, well maybe. I also have a pair of their duck and goose calls, they cost about $3.50 each, and some of the best boots that I ever owned. In fact I wore their insulated leather boots this past weekend while trap shooting. They should be good for another 50 years. Don't know where their bluebill, golden eye, canvasback and goose decoys have gone. Everything said about the Herter's catalogue is true and then some. It was a combination of comic book, philosophical tome and vicarious adventure all in one. I felt like a kid in a candy store reading it; and they actually sold some pretty good stuff, some of which I couldn't live without. It was a true piece of Americana.

John Bergman

14. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

I still have a "Herters .401 Power Mag"revolver------I used this fine quality firearm to take my first whitetail,with a handgun. I load my own ammo for it---

15. C1

C1 Member

I lived in Mitchell when Herter's was there. I had ordered a lot of fly tying material prior to their move to Mitchell and went to the store often as they always had great specials on the floor. The bar with all the silver dollars was a delight to behold. Some of Herter's stuff was fair at best but for the most part it was good quality at a very fair price. I think George wrote all the descriptions for the catalog and he is on my short list of people I want to visit with if I ever get to heaven.

One of the sad ironies of life is that if you stand in the parking lot of Cabela's in Mitchell and look south across the interstate you can see a big brown steel building and just make out Herter's logo faded into the side. I still get tears in my eyes when I see it. Cabela's started as small competition to Herter's and NEVER came close to being what it replaced.

Gary Riecke

16. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

LMAO, I went thru a few pages and came to their "5 Alarm Hot Sauce"

"It is neither for women nor the faint of heart. Preferred buy a number of great Americans that helped make America, such as Wyatt Earp, Chief Sitting Bull, Bat Masterson, Ben Thompson and Doc holliday."

"Competitors have falsely said that Herters "Five Alarm Sauce" will burn the lint out of the naval of anybody that uses it. This is certainly not true."

Cheif Sitting Bull????

Where did he come up with some of this stuff? I'm telling you, this guy was the BEST at advertising.

Tom(AJ100)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

george l herter model perfect

george l herter ny times