1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

George Digweed, 18th world title

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Posting the article for those who may have missed it....

----------------------

George is simply the best - By glenn garrett

BRITISH clay pigeon shooting champion George Digweed won his 18th world title at the weekend weekend, as fended off the competition to claim gold at the World Championships in New Zealand.

The Northiam ace topped an all-British podium in Auckland as he continued his domination of the sport. Mark Marshall and Chris Childerhouse claimed the silver and bronze medals, helping the British come out on top down under.

Competitors had to shoot a total of 200 clay targets over the course of the two-day event, and Digweed hit 87 on the Saturday and another 92 on the Sunday.

Afterwards, Digweed said: "It was a very hard and technical shoot, and to hit over 85 was generally seen as a good performance, so to score above that on both days was a real achievement for me.

"I was coming directly off the end of the game-shooting season, and it was a 38-hour journey from the UK to New Zealand, so to shoot like that was amazing.

"I'm really proud of my performance and considering the physical exhaustion I was going through, I'd certainly rank it as one of my best – with a 13 hour time difference, the jet lag took hold very quickly."

It was something of a banner tournament for the British. Along with the one, two, three in the mens' individual tournament, Brits also scooped gold in the seniors, the ladies, the juniors and the veterans team championships as the UK secured an amazing clean sweep in Auckland.

"Our success here bodes really well for the sport back home," Digweed said. "It's great to be a part of this community, and brilliant to see my countrymen doing so well.

"It proves that no matter how old or young you are, or what gender you are, you can get involved in clay shooting in Britain and can really be successful in it.

"I hope this triumph in New Zealand can inspire others to become involved in the sport."

Digweed now moves on to his next tournament, the Pan-African in Cape Town, and he's aiming to keep his impressive start to the season going.

"This has been a brilliant way to get 2011 off and running.

"I had a fantastic time when I won in South Africa last season, and hopefully I can do it all over again at the end of the month.

"I would like to thank Perazzi, Gamebore, Ray Ward Gunsmiths, Pilla Sports and Ambassador Services for their continued sponsorship and support."

---------------------

Photos from the shoot...

http://losttarget.com/s/2011/NewZealand/

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Digweed has become much more visible and outgoing in the past couple year.
    It started with the HiDefSpex endorsement and video, than the Sunrise video.
    I think he's figured out how to make money in this sport.

3. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I'm not sure what he means by a 13-hour time difference.

Woops! I just checked the the time zone map and it is 13 hours difference. I'd of bet it was more like 5 or 6 hours.

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

And I bet he is an amateur. Clyde

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mr. Digweed is the man!

ss

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How much money did he win? HMB

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

He's probably the best sporting shooter in the world. That means little though, as there really isn't that much "good" competition in sporting. Never saw a sporting shooter switch over to trap and do diddly. On the other hand, several trap shooters went the other way and have done well. George is a nice guy and held in high regard be a lot of folks who don't know too much. If he shot mostly for money, he would shoot trap and flyers.

8. porky

porky TS Member

I remember some trap/sporting clays/skeet shoot that was held in Texas a few years ago. I remember he won that one hands down also. No one was even close to him.

9. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

18 World Titles! No one has achieved that in any sport....Amazing!

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One of his top competitors went to the Grand American at Vandalia one year and with no practice broke a 199/200 in the Singles-with only partial fingers on his shooting hand. Who says those Sporting shooters can't shoot Trap!!

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Yep, his name is Jon Kruger.

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

NO WAY!!!!!!!

13. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Kruger could never be a big dog at trap, so he switched to sporting. Note that he "used to" shoot trap. Now he's a big dog at sporting. If any of you know Jack Concanon.... he's thought to be a good sporting shooter. Gimmeabreak. If there was money in sporting, trap shooters would go there and do well.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Is Digweed an extremely handsome guy or something? Because for some reason people keep calling me that.

-Gary

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Quote from "Luckyman":

"18 World Titles! No one has achieved that in any sport"

...............................................................................

Leo Harrison III has won 24 Grand American Titles

Jack Nicklaus has won 20 Major Golf Championships.

The Montreal Canadians have won the Stanley Cup 24 times.

The New York Yankees have won the World Series 27 times.

Not trying to take anything away from Mr. Digweed. Just some fun facts.

Matt

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I shot the Addieville East Farm Lobster Shoot a few years back and Digweed was in attendance. A major east coast shoot.

He put on a demonstration Saturday evening using the clubs 5-stand. Shooting (and breaking targets) from the hip. That's the shoot you see on You Tube where he ended the demonstration breaking targets at 100 yards plus from the clubs parking lot. He just kept backing up five or ten yards at a time until he couldn't hit a target.

He won the FITASC and 200 target sporting clays event. He was either one or two targets behind going into Sunday's sporting final, but won at the end. For me, some of the hardest targets I ever shot.

Very approachable. We had a one on one conversation that lasted about ten minutes. Most could relate to him. Someone who would shoot whatever games the club is shooting at the end of the day and then stay around to have a beer or two.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jack is, was and always will be a bum in any shooting venue!!

18. Maurice

Maurice Member

bridgetoofar, you are clueless,George Digweed won the last two World All Around Championships and will probably win the upcoming 2011. These championships include all shotgun disciplines including American trap. Also he would not come over to shoot American trap to make money, there is more money to be made in European shooting than there will ever be in American trap.

Grntitan, Luckyman did say 18 WORLD TITLES, Grand American wins are not World Titles and neither are any of the other achievements yo mention. Maurice ( The Brit. )

19. porky

porky TS Member

Maurice,

Not to take anything from George Digweed, but I think the Grand American wins are world wins (not unlike baseball's World Series or the Super Bowl, even if teams don't compete from other parts of the world). Wins at the Grand are considered to be World titles and individuals compete from other countries.

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was at the sporting clays event in San Antonio, TX where Mr. Digweed won big. If anyone thinks sporting clays is not difficult, they have never shot it. Now take a course that has 18 radically different target presentations and shoot it with 12, 20, 28 gauge as well as .40. There are some presentations in the woods that you only see the target for 15 feet overhead and your second shot may be a "rabbit" bouncing across the ground. Sporting clays is extremely challenging, Especially on a course like San Antonio. Digweed carries himself like a gentleman and just plain does not miss. I respect the man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

george digweed robbery northiam