1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GEO TRACKER???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ntgr8, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Anybody have any input on the Geo Tracker?? Looking at a 1992 with 4wd and 3 speed auto 48k miles. Looking for a putt around good mpg car for fishing and short trips. Max trips about 60 miles. Did you ever have one what did you think of it?? Dependable? What might a fair price be in Minnesota???

2. RainmanRFW

RainmanRFW TS Member

My wife and I bought a soft top bright yellow Geo Tracker about that age. We loved it. It was quite tight for suspension and steering but dependable as heck. We traded it at a dealer for a larger SUV and found out that a couple (friends a generation older) bought it from the dealer. They lessened the value by putting Packer plates on it but they kept it for another 10 years with no problems.

3. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Guy I work with drives his every day. No major problems. Only issue he's had was a clutch cable problem that turned out to be a cracked clutch arm that was slipping. Common problem from his research. JW

4. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

Consumer report gave them a very good rating, at that time. I have no idea as to resale price.........Dave

5. skeetfield

skeetfield Member

Had 2 Trackers and they were great. Wish I had one of them back.

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Geo Tracker, Suzuki, whatever they call them - they are great little rigs. Good mileage, handy around town, able to go offroad (in some pretty surprising places!).

Just be aware that the suspension is NOT like a car, and they don't have a ton of power. If you want to go to real out of the way lakes, put Toyota axles under it, with posi-trac and good offroad tires, and you will be amazed at the places you can go.

7. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

I was a chevrolet tech at the time these where out.
    When we ran out of a parts we went down the street to the suzuki dealer and bought the part.

the soft tops shrink and pull away, the exhaust (head-pipe/converter 1PC) cracks and are costly.

repairing a ecu problem is a pain as the computer is very limited.

But as vehicals go, they are fun and pretty good. not a bad one.

There are screws holding the rocker-arm bar on top of the head(under valve cover) that would occasionally come loose, they fall out, fall under the cam lobe.......and get pushed right through the head, yer done! BUT THIS ONLY HAPPENED A VERY FEW TIMES THAT I SAW, and you can always check them when doing the valve cover gasket.

8. joe scout

joe scout Member

240,000 miles on mine and still running good --burns a little oil on start up -- I've kept on top of it -- 1995 no problems -- take it in for oil change and the kids at the shop all want to buy it. Kept it around for a spare car for my kids -- 10 years ago they did'nt want it now they want it's in great shape and gets great mileage.

Joe --In Reno Nv.

9. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

They are very popular around these parts of the country. We have a used car dealer who sells everyone he gets & people who own them love 'em.

i_shoot

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I had the Suzuki version. I think it's perfect for what you describe.

I sold mine 15 years ago to buyers who advertised and traveled around the country. They'd export them to Central America, where their simplicity and ruggedness were highly prized.

11. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Wife said " over her dead body " . Thought about it for a while then decided to give up on the idea of buying the Tracker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.