1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

geo thermal heating

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Sorry for the way off topic thread, but it's still the off season here. Any body have any experience with geo thermal heating..good or bad. We're building this summer and the wife wants to spend the giant bucks on this. thanks Bill

2. 3357

3357 Member

I have had geo thermal for 16 years in northern lower Michigan and have been very satisfied wth it. When I installed it at the time we built our home it was 10% more expensive than a top of the line gas or fuel oil system and air conditioning is part of geo thermal anyway so for an extra 10% in cost for my heating system I got AC. Again I have been very happy with it and would do it again.

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

PM Catpower. He knows alot about this sort of thing. He has some kind of similar deal he built. I haven't seen it, but he told me about it. Charlie

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I built one about 4 years ago and love it, I am using our pond for the heat sink it's 9 acres and about 16 ft deep, so the water temp stays fairly steady, but always better than ambient air IE: cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter

3357 must have gotten a bid on some real high priced conventional equipment or a heck of a deal on the geo, because they do cost much more than conventional, if you already have the wells that would lower the price considerably though

I've been in the HVAC bidness for about 40 years, and have had to build quite a bit of equipment during that time to satisfy some of my customers unique demands so it was just another custom build, but I built my system for about 20% of what a commercially made unit costs, and the EER/COP on the unit I designed is better than commercially available

One of the things that really makes it nice is we get our domestic hot water free or at a much reduced price, I installed a coax heat exchanger in the unit or a desuperheater as they call them it uses the discharge gas from the compressor to heat the water, and I have two 50 gallon water heaters in series so we never run out of hot water

One thing you should want to do is make sure you are getting the system from a reputable company that has a good track record, because if installed improperly they will drive you nuts, they need to install the loop either horizontal or vertical properly, if not it will cost a lot to repair later

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

These are great heating systems. A bit pricey but if ur gonna be there awhile its worth it.
    The unfortunate part (at least for me here in Pa.) I thought I could keep the price down by doing it myself but the first thing the drilling company asks is it for drinking or heat. You say heat and the well tripled in cost

6. willing

willing Member

I have had a system in NC for 21 yrs. The first unit compressor went bad after 15 yrs. Cost 4000 to replace. Original price was 1000 over electric. Two wells 86 ft, one on each side of house. Operating cost about 15-20% less tnan electric.

Bill

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Catpower wrote - "we get our domestic water free or at a much reduced price"

One question - When did you guys get water in Texas? LOL I know I'm being a smart____, but I didn't see much water in the few times I drove across that great state. You had to be tough___to have been a pioneer when settling that country.

Still I love Texas and the people whom reside there.

8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bisi- You still have to be tough to live here. We're in pretty bad shape here as far as rain, and sub moisture. Cat gets more than we do, and they are dry also. Charlie

9. Catpower

Bisi thanks for pointing that out, I meant domestic HOT water

Yes it has been dry, and just about 100% of the lakes here are man made, the only natural is Caddo and they think it was made by a meteor

But like Charlie said we are tough, we have been lucky here to get some of the rain that misses him but we are about 5-600 miles away, but it is still dry, the reservoirs that serve the DFW metromess are really low they are going to have a tough summer this year if something doesn't give

This time of year we are usually wishing it would quit raining, but not this year

10. Catpower

That is the reason I said to get a good installer, when they first came out there were some nightmares but they have 99% of the problems ironed out of them, just took a little time

11. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Don't forget to check on all the possible energy tax breaks and federal, state, local and energy company rebates, deductions etc. These amount to some big $$ and can take your cost down quite a bit. Check at all levels of the above and do your research.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of an open loop system because I have a good water source, a pretty clean artesian well And a river to dump off into. I know they can be temperamental, but my neighbor has had one for 14 years with no issues. Bill

13. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Make sure it is legal to dump it back in the river. Also get the correct coil for an open loop system.

As noted above there is a 30% federal tax credit and sometimes state and local incentives.

Scott

14. Glass balls

Glass balls Member

It is mandatory a closed loop geothermal system be designed and installed by a company who has the soil tested and engineers the system to your conditions and has proven themselves in the industry. The "pump and dump" type water source heat pump systems are a bit more forgiving. If done correctly you will love it, if not it will haunt you forever. Leaks, temperature saturated soils, poor heat transfer in the soil.... there are too many odd variables to trust someone who doesn't do it everyday. Do the math with your utility rates to see how long your "pay back" will be, but there are also federal tax credits available that may make it a bit more intriguing so ask you local professional. I am a member on the international ground source heat pump association (IGSHPA) go to their website and they can stear you to a credible installation company in your area. Go as local as you can. Cheers Chris Q.

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We put in geo thermal when we built our home 18 years ago. Living in the country, we only had two other options, go all electic or have an ugly gas tank sit in our yard. We opted for all electic and had a water furnace installed. With only a few minor problems, we have been very happy, I would do it again. Our kids built a new home 5 years ago and didn't use geo thermal. Three years later, they changed over to geo. Our rural electric coop offers rebates on the system and there were tax credits as well. Also, the REC offered a free/reduced price on our hot water tank.

16. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

All kinds of incentives here in MI. I can set it up with a separate meter and get a break every month on top of the big federal break. Haven't seen the price tag yet, but I know it will be scary. Unlimited hot water and increased water pressure are also a couple of nice perks. Also flameless heat sounds nice.... Bill

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

How far north do these systems work? I'm about 3 hrs from the Canadian border in MN. I've run the tap and checked the temp and its about 52 degrees in the summer coming from a 60ft well.

Doug

18. Catpower

They will work good anywhere, well unless you are in permafrost it might not work all that great

19. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Whoa!! for some edification on this thread Geo thermal systems concist different choices in sources of the 'heat' A pond orlake to put the coil in, two different wells, and a large trench maybe six feet wide and several feet deep in which concentric coils of tubing are buried to pick up the ground 'heat'!A geothermal system is basicaly a heat pump that uses ground or water sources to supply the differntial to reetrieve the 'heat'. in the case of cooling the heat is drawn from the struture adn put back into the source ie the groiund or the water. many tax breaks etc and as mentioned some great breaks from the local coop etc. good luck. Bill

20. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our coop also has a different billing rate for the geo thermal than from the rest of the house, we have 2 meters. Geo is about half price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.