1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Genuine AA wads or Claybuster "equivalents"?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

Genuine AA wads or Claybuster

As a new reloader for trap I have the option of using genuine Winchester WAA12SL wads or their "equivalent" manufactured by Claybuster. How do these imitations perform compared to the genuine article?

I'd always like to save a buck, but if there's a penalty for doing so, I'll pay the extra.

Thanks for your insights.

2. gordy h

gordy h Member

I went back to AA may be in my head but the breaks seem better,Butch H

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I've never been able to get Claybusters to load well in new AA hulls. Always get a little crush line at the basewad. AA wads and Duster clones load beautifully though. I've used Claybuster AA-clone wads in Remington hulls, and haven't been impressed with them. AAs and Duster seem to give better breaks, so they're the wads I use.

~Michael

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It's not in your head. Claybuster wads do not perform as well as the wads they are intended to replace. Plus, they leave way more plastic in the barrel.

If you are looking for a replacement for Winchester factory wads, consider Duster wads. Several shooters at my club use them exclusively. One thinks the Green Duster is the best 1oz wad in the world, bar none.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Although it's just an opinion, I too, do not care for the Claybuster wads. To me they leave a lot of plastic buildup in the barrel. Ed

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used Claybuster wads in my AA hulls and have had no problems. Pressure gun tests suggest that they seal well. I have now way of measuring plastic residue left in the barrel but using an eyeball measurement, I really can't tell and difference.

Michael- A 1/8 turn down on your wad seater and a 1/4 turn up on your final crimp post should get rid of any crush line caused by a wad.

zzt- Which Duster wad is tapered to fit into a AA hull properly? I am thinking about ordering some but I will not use a straight wad in a tapered hull.

Pat Ireland

7. johara1

johara1 TS Member

Pat,the duster wad i use is the mod.#GT9210-12 standard reference loading data waa12sl.they don't leave any or very little plastic in the barrel,load and pattern like a dream..........jim

8. johara1

johara1 TS Member

Pat,the duster wad i use is the mod.#GT9210-12 standard reference loading data waa12sl.they don't leave any or very little plastic in the barrel,load and pattern like a dream..........jim

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Edited after the fact, because I misread Pat's question.

Pat, I don't have any Winchester or Duster wads laying around anymore, so I can't measure them for you. If memory serves, the Green Duster is an exact dimensional replacement for the WAA12SL. Blue to replace WAA12.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've never had much luck loading CB wads. Lots of bent petals. AA's are better. However the Downrange seems to work as well as the AA's, and a lot less money.

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Pat, thanks for the advice, but I'm happy with the wads I'm currently using and will leave the press as is. Don't want to screw things up! ;-)

As for Duster Wads, I don't have the product #s, but Green Dusters copy the Winchester pink wad, and Blue Dusters copy the Winchester white wad. I use them for 16s, but only trust Win AA wads for Handicap. The Dusters may be just as good from the fence, but I use factory ammo when the money is on the line, so my practice reloads are as close to factory ammo as I can get them. All Winchester components (except for the shot) to replicate the Super Handicap load.

~Michael

12. johara1

johara1 TS Member

13. johara1

johara1 TS Member

14. johara1

johara1 TS Member

15. johara1

johara1 TS Member

16. johara1

johara1 TS Member

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I avoid Claybuster wads all together. Each time I've tried them, I did not like how they loaded in my reloader.

I'd recommend substuting the Downrange XL-1 wad, or the Greeen Duster wad.

I've had good performance with either.

18. bigben

bigben Active Member

My advise is to stick with the genuine article, at approx, 8 dollars for 5000 difference, the saying is "penny wise and pound foolish" there uis a big difference in quality! the non oem wads have proven time and again to be poor performers in especially cold weather, not to mention the increase in plastic build up, most loading manuals will give higher powder grain requirements to obtain the same velocity as oem offerings which is telling us the don't seal as well! incinerate em!

19. willing

willing Member

Another vote for the Downrange blue, they load slicker and less plastic although I don't know how to measure it.

Bill

20. willing

willing Member

johara- I would use them also if I could get 5 for 1.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

plastic aa trap wads