1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gentlemen - Show some Balls

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Mojo, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo Member

Go out this week, dump whatever you are driving, and buy a GMC Sierra or Chevy
    Malibu for the little lady....show some balls and get this country rockin' again...!

2. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Excuse me, but why would I want to buy anything by GMC or Chevy or any other American made car? I'd think one of the Japanese cars or trucks or SUVs would be a better buy, last longer and most of them are made here anyway.

Or, are you suggesting I have some Patriotic Duty to support Detroit? Funny, they've never done anything for me but produce the last American car I purchased, an '88 Olds, that stunk as far as reliability and resale.

Bob

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I just bought a Toyota Rav 4. Why, because I wanted a car that would last longer than the term of the loan. Detroit iron is sadly deficinet in that area.

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

For those that are sold on Japanese quality may I suggest the Subaru Forrester, made with pride by Japan. We bought one new in '07. It was the roughest riding, squeekiest, wind-noisiest contraption we ever owned. It had the directional stability of a runaway water bed and the brakes of a Schwinn one-speed. The tires turned to junk at 21,000 miles and we turned it in at 21,500 for the Ford Edge that now has 43,000 rough miles on it and still performs like it was new. I don't owe Detroit anything either but I won't refuse to buy their product having experienced the alternative.

Jack Lister

5. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

My 2000 chevy Lumina has 140,000 on it still has original spark plugs and gets over 30 miles to the gallon it's been a great car ,,new tires and brakes once,,,D. Lang

6. Mojo

Mojo Member

Buy Jap - bought a top of the line Murano SL in 2007 at $34K - biggest piece
    of crap I have ever owned. At 18,000 miles in rattles and squeeks and has lost
    $16,000 in value. Now that's a deal...! My wife doesn't even want to drive it
    around town...

tada..!!!

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I just got back from the Portland area within the hour. We left Gresham at 7:15 AM PST, arrived in Pocatello 7:20 PM MST. We stopped near Umatilla for ten minutes at a rest area, in Meridian for 45 minutes or so to visit my 86-year old Father who broke his hip last month and is recovering in a hospital there, and in Boise for an hour or so to gas up and eat. Eleven hours elapsed time, 650 miles, 65+ mph most of the way through Oregon and 75+ mph most of the way through Idaho. Why do I mention this? Because of the time of year and the potential for nasty weather, we drove our 1994 4x4 Chevrolet Suburban. If I weren't so lazy I'd go out and check the mileage for you, but it is very close to 239,000 now. We bought it in 1994 with 6500 miles on it. It has never had anything major done to the engine or transmission. I think I've replaced an alternator once, the shocks once, a muffler once, and the front rotors twice. The first time was with aftermarket rotors that were warped, so I had my mechanic replace those with factory originals. It's on its fourth or fifth set of tires. I looked today in our book as we were driving home to see that this set has 50,000 miles on them, and look good for at least another 30,000. I'm convinced that this Chevrolet is not a piece of junk.

We've driven a fair number of cars over the years. Our first was a 1971 Volvo 142S, and that really was a lemon. It would eat an exhaust system like clockwork every 20,000 miles. It needed a new clutch before 50,000, a valve job before 70,000, and ate a timing gear about 140,000. Our next was a '79 VW Dasher, which was OK but not great, then an '83 Toyota 4x4 pickup. I gave that to my son at about 250,000 miles, and he finally junked it at nearly 300,000. Its weakness was transmission bearings - four sets over the lifetime. It also lost the thrust bearing on the crank near 200,000 so I replaced the engine with a used one. Somewhere in there we bought an early 80s Olds Achieva (OK) for my wife and passed it on to another son, who drove it to over 200,000. We had an '87 Chevy Astro Van (good) that we traded in on the Suburban at around 170,000, and had no real problems with. My wife currently drives her '99 Chrysler 300M with 145,000 on it - no real problems except electric windows and locks - and I drive my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with 48,000 and no problems.

If you take care of cars I think you will have few problems with them. As I said, the Suburban is approaching 250,000 and I have no reservations about hopping in and driving many hundreds of miles with it. It is not a piece of junk.

8. Mojo

Mojo Member

Go out this week, dump whatever you are driving, and buy a GMC Sierra or Chevy
    Malibu for the little lady....show some balls and get this country rockin' again...!

9. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Excuse me, but why would I want to buy anything by GMC or Chevy or any other American made car? I'd think one of the Japanese cars or trucks or SUVs would be a better buy, last longer and most of them are made here anyway.

Or, are you suggesting I have some Patriotic Duty to support Detroit? Funny, they've never done anything for me but produce the last American car I purchased, an '88 Olds, that stunk as far as reliability and resale.

Bob

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I just bought a Toyota Rav 4. Why, because I wanted a car that would last longer than the term of the loan. Detroit iron is sadly deficinet in that area.

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

For those that are sold on Japanese quality may I suggest the Subaru Forrester, made with pride by Japan. We bought one new in '07. It was the roughest riding, squeekiest, wind-noisiest contraption we ever owned. It had the directional stability of a runaway water bed and the brakes of a Schwinn one-speed. The tires turned to junk at 21,000 miles and we turned it in at 21,500 for the Ford Edge that now has 43,000 rough miles on it and still performs like it was new. I don't owe Detroit anything either but I won't refuse to buy their product having experienced the alternative.

Jack Lister

12. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

My 2000 chevy Lumina has 140,000 on it still has original spark plugs and gets over 30 miles to the gallon it's been a great car ,,new tires and brakes once,,,D. Lang

13. Mojo

Mojo Member

Buy Jap - bought a top of the line Murano SL in 2007 at $34K - biggest piece
    of crap I have ever owned. At 18,000 miles in rattles and squeeks and has lost
    $16,000 in value. Now that's a deal...! My wife doesn't even want to drive it
    around town...

tada..!!!

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I just got back from the Portland area within the hour. We left Gresham at 7:15 AM PST, arrived in Pocatello 7:20 PM MST. We stopped near Umatilla for ten minutes at a rest area, in Meridian for 45 minutes or so to visit my 86-year old Father who broke his hip last month and is recovering in a hospital there, and in Boise for an hour or so to gas up and eat. Eleven hours elapsed time, 650 miles, 65+ mph most of the way through Oregon and 75+ mph most of the way through Idaho. Why do I mention this? Because of the time of year and the potential for nasty weather, we drove our 1994 4x4 Chevrolet Suburban. If I weren't so lazy I'd go out and check the mileage for you, but it is very close to 239,000 now. We bought it in 1994 with 6500 miles on it. It has never had anything major done to the engine or transmission. I think I've replaced an alternator once, the shocks once, a muffler once, and the front rotors twice. The first time was with aftermarket rotors that were warped, so I had my mechanic replace those with factory originals. It's on its fourth or fifth set of tires. I looked today in our book as we were driving home to see that this set has 50,000 miles on them, and look good for at least another 30,000. I'm convinced that this Chevrolet is not a piece of junk.

We've driven a fair number of cars over the years. Our first was a 1971 Volvo 142S, and that really was a lemon. It would eat an exhaust system like clockwork every 20,000 miles. It needed a new clutch before 50,000, a valve job before 70,000, and ate a timing gear about 140,000. Our next was a '79 VW Dasher, which was OK but not great, then an '83 Toyota 4x4 pickup. I gave that to my son at about 250,000 miles, and he finally junked it at nearly 300,000. Its weakness was transmission bearings - four sets over the lifetime. It also lost the thrust bearing on the crank near 200,000 so I replaced the engine with a used one. Somewhere in there we bought an early 80s Olds Achieva (OK) for my wife and passed it on to another son, who drove it to over 200,000. We had an '87 Chevy Astro Van (good) that we traded in on the Suburban at around 170,000, and had no real problems with. My wife currently drives her '99 Chrysler 300M with 145,000 on it - no real problems except electric windows and locks - and I drive my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with 48,000 and no problems.

If you take care of cars I think you will have few problems with them. As I said, the Suburban is approaching 250,000 and I have no reservations about hopping in and driving many hundreds of miles with it. It is not a piece of junk.

15. sneaky

sneaky TS Member

I've been a Subaru Service Manager for 28 years, made in Indiana by NON-UNION plant. Less than 4% of our total work is warranty. Our sister store (Pontiac/Buick) built in Union plant......66% of work load is warranty. Keep your GM's

Mike

16. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Buy TOYOTA.....never support an Union that handed Michigan to Obama!

When the inevitable gun control laws come....thank the UAW!

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I wish I had bought the Saturn years ago. Looks like they are getting the axe by GM. My son's Saturn lasted him 320,000 miles before he sold it three years ago. His neighbor still drives it to work. It had it's first major repair last year when the tie rods went. It is at 387,000 miles now.

Thew only Japan made vehicle I owned was a Isuzu pick up. Used it lasted me 1 year and the engine blew at 87,000.

Rock

Jim

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

87 Chev 4WD pickup. 305 couldn't pull a sick old granny off a pisspot, Tranny went at 85 thousand, head gaskets went at 94K, put in a Delco long block 350.

Love the 350, but have issues with that model year as far as longevity goes. lots of other nagging problems, sector arm/tie rod, rear pumpkin bearing,

87 Ford work van, 1 ton E350. weakass little 6 starts in -20 degrees, 140K miles, no other problems. If you let the fuel pressure come up it is running when it hits the 3rd cylinder. Best starting vehicle I ever had.

You just never know with Detroit Iron. I would buy Detroit again but need research on longevity.

It seems they pull the quality out till it is unacceptable, then the next year they are good.

bottom line enhacement by greedy execs has to be the reason.

HM

19. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

If the premise of buying Chevrolet that you are buying an american made product be advised to check the first digit on the 17 characters of the VIN (serial number). If it is a #1 it is USA made, #2 it is Canandian made & if it is letter K it is Korean made. Not all american name plates are USA made anymore. Colonel

20. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The Subaru service manager seems proud of the fact that a low percentage of their work is warranty related. I'm not surprised at that. Subaru's canned response to every concern we brought to them from the wind noise to the foul handling, the high-speed instability, the noisy weak, brakes and the abysmal tire wear was,

"There aren't any defects. That's not a warranty issue."

Very smart of the Japanese not to warranty bad design.

Jack Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.