1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Generators, Standby, Natural Gas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rem870TB, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Member

Anyone have any experience with these?

Any comments on Generac, Ruud or other product?
  2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You might find something in here. A Feb posting.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=280192#1180217
  3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Rem870, I have a Generac 5500 that is a Great generator and starts on the first pull. Be advised it is NOT the Quietest Gen. on the market. I have owned a few Gens. and this Generac is very GOOD. Honda's are GREAT But, Overpriced. JMO JOE joe90t
  4. acss

acss Active Member

a good shooting friend of mine , is an electritian--he has installed many automatic startup generators-- he'd be happy to talk to you on what is the best-- steve harrington tarkio mo. 660-787-0176 cst telling him wally riebesell mentioned his name
  5. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Active Member

Kohler. Not the cheapest, but they work when you need them. Website above for info and check the online ratings.
  6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Natural gas is ther way to go, for some piece of equipment than will run intermittantly a generac will do, if you have to use it alot, then go with Honda or Kohler--the most important factor are the batteries & battery charging system.

Phil Berkowitz
  7. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Member

Eddie

Thanks, so you have had it 7 to 8 months and everything has been good so far, that's good to hear.

Do you know how many hours they say that model will go between oil changes?

I'm on NG here and that is what I would go with for generator fuel for the reasons stated previously.

Power outages here are not that frequent but can go on 4 to 8 hours or several days some winters due to ice. The sump pump is critical, as are the usual other appliances.

Phil, I am interested as to why you said "for some piece of equipment than will run intermittantly a generac will do". I have heard some other comments like that from other sources and wondered what the potential issues are with them.
  8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When you needed equipment to run for at least 12 hrs steady--that is a long duty cycle. If yo're going to use it for less than 2 hrs @ a time then off for 2 hrs, short duty cycles.

Phil Berkowitz
  9. Rem29

Rem29 Member

I have a Generac 5500 and was intending on converting it to NG. Generac says no but cannot tell me a reason why. Has anyone out there converted a Generac and if so what were the results?
  10. sadpat

sadpat TS Member

I am currently into 6 plus years on a Generac QuietSource 16kw NG unit. Was a lifesaver after Hurricane Ike casme through this area. It exercises itself once a week to keep the battery charged and has a number of safety interlocks( over current, low oil, etc.) for engine and gen set protection.
    Needs to be maintained once per year with new spark plugs, oil, and filters. A new battery every three years or so
    It comes with an automatic electric transfer switch that senses an incoming power failure starts the unit and shuts off the unit when power is restored.
    All my neighbors are jealous.
  11. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

There's a company US Carburetion Kit Center that makes conversion kits to change a gas engine to Nat Gas or LP, I've been thinking about getting a 5-8 kw generator and converting it because of gas going bad

We have a 27 kw pto generator that will run the whole place and then some but it is a waste to run a 70 hp tractor if the load is only a few KW
  12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have a Coleman 1850 and 3750. I just bought a Coleman 5000. Had power outage last week and the 5500 would not run my central unit. I too am thinking of NG larger unit. Ray
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.