1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

General Patton Q

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Watching Patton right now.

Did Patton really tell the Russian General he wouldn't drink with him or any other Russian son of a bitch?

It was a classic line and i know how he felt about the Russians.

I just don't know if dramatic license was used by the director.

2. grammie

grammie TS Member

Patton did have a big mouth,,,he was a prima donna,,,he was a person that wouldn't have hesitated to put YOU in a position to get killed to prove HIM right!!!

Many great leaders share the same traits,,,,,Not only was he the above,,,But he was bold,,decisive,,and very agressive,,He had a "classical" education,,,and would have "lived by" the same tactics as Alexander the Great,,,the man said a lot of things,,,I would not doubt in the least that he said it,,especially in a personal setting with no press around....

AKA Grammie......

3. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I think that quote was an invention by the scriptwriter.

It does not appear in Patton's memoir "War As I Knew It". It is not in his diaries (many portions of which appear verbatim in his memoir). Unless it was recorded by someone who was present at the time, I don't see any reason to give it credence.

Nevertheless, the quote is in character. He hated Russians and was fond of the phrase "Son of a bitch".

Here's a characteristic quote:

"The difficulty in understanding the Russian is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European, but an Asiatic and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinese or a Japanese. From what I have seen of them I have no particular desire to understand them except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them. In addition to his other amiable characteristics, the Russians have no regard for human life and they are all out sons of bitches, barbarians, and chronic drunks."

And another one:

"The Russians have a lot of new heavy tanks of which they are very proud. The Marshall asked me how I liked them. I said that I did not and we had quite an argument. Apparently I am the first person ever to disagree with him."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.