1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

General motors 4cyl / 6cyl

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ken a, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken a

ken a Member

I am considering buy a new crossover gm and haven't decided which engine would be best for highway driving as well as around local. please share your experiences with these cars as to engine size problems. Also is the all wheel drive a problem or should I consider the 2 wheel dr. Thanks Ken

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I hate to be a drip, but....

You really think a GM crossover SUV is better than a Toyota or Honda crossover?

Also, what is the point of an SUV, even a crossover, if it doesn't have all four wheels powered? Get a car. They handle better and usually get better mileage.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I agree. My Buick gets 32, my 4WD Trailblazer gets 20 if there is a tailwind.

The way gas costs now the SUV sits.

HM

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

small engines get better mileage. The 4 cylinder cars nowdays have plenty of pep for simple driving, My oldest daughter has a 4 cyl mitubishi outlander with 200k miles and still going strong. I have not driven it for a while but I remember being impressed with it's performance when it was new.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I figure you're an adult and know what kind of vehicle you want.

The new GM crossovers are good vehicles, there has been 3 in my family lately, I would go with the 6 as they have a lot more power when loaded down and do ok on mpg if you don't drive them too hard.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I never wanted to own a four-cylinder except in motorcycles but in 2008, my wife's car was totaled and she found a Saturn Vue she wanted in the worst way. It's an AWD with a 2.2L four and I'm actually glad it's not a V6. It runs great, is no race car but has adequate power, delivers low-20s fuel economy in combined local and highway driving (25 or so on the highway) and, unlike the V6 that was the alternative engine in the Vue, there's no timing belt that has to be replaced.

The crossover idea puzzled me at first. Most of the car companies dropped station wagons in the mid-90s and at that time, GM told us that those who wanted station wagons would buy SUVs and minivans. But then we got crossovers - taller station wagons. I like them - they are easier for us arthritic types to get in and out of and they have lots of room for shooting stuff.

Four wheel-drive is great IF you're going off-road a lot (in a crossover?), pull a boat out of the water on a slippery ramp (again, in a crossover?) or often HAVE to drive in snow (I don't). Otherwise, it's a several thousand-dollar expense up front that does little but cost more money every mile you drive. Here in central Pennsylvania, I've owned several 4x4s but after about 10 years of pushing that button three times a year, I wised up.

Having said that, at least around here, there's very little resale market for a 4x2 SUV. Everyone expects one of them to be 4x4 or AWD. But crossovers are popular either way.

Ed

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Go with the V6 as the actual mirage will depend more on how the vehicle is driven, the frontal area and weight of the vehicle and the type of tires. 4 Wheel drive or all wheel drive reduces vehicle mileage due to additional weight and friction but it is nice to have if the roads are slick or you go off road.

Today's bigger 4 cylinder engines are very good but I like the extra power of a V6. In general, a 4 cylinder operates at a higher RPM which can result in more noise, faster engine wear and more frequent oil changes. Yet, properly maintained, many 4 cylinder engines last well over 100,000 miles.

I bought my wife a new 2010 Toyota RAV/4 Sport Edition with the 260 hp 3.5 L V6, 4 wheel drive and 18" tires last year . She loves it. The vehicle’s highway millage is 27 mpg but she drives mostly on short trips so actual mileage is around 20 mpg. She only drives around 5000 miles per year so the cost of fuel is not significant.

The Toyota RAV/4 uses a 4 wheel drive that normally runs with only the front wheels powered. If wheel slippage is detected, the real wheels automatically become powered via a viscous transfer case. My understanding is that Toyota licenses this system from Subaru. It works well on lighter weight vehicles.

The Toyota RAV/4 (Recreational Activity Vehicle 4 Wheel Drive) has been around since the mid 1990's and has an excellent record for dependability and resale value.

The 3.5 L V6 in the RAV/4 is also used in some of the smaller Lexus vehicles.

I prefer Toyota over GM.

Ed Ward

8. warren

warren Member

Get a car made by a company that honors it's debt.

warren

9. rrose

rrose TS Member

Ken
    Good luck with your decision. I have to add 1 other point to the discussion.
    I bought a brand new 09 GM truck, a Silverado LT which is overall a very nice truck. However the quality I feel falls a bit short. The truck is less than 2 years old as it was bought new in Dec 09 and now has about 30,000 miles on the odometer. I keep the truck clean and in the garage so it is not overly exposed to the elements. This spring I noticed rust on the rear chrome bumper.
    I tried to clean it off but the rust is too far along and covers about 30%. I went to the dealer thinking that a truck that new should not have a rusted bumper and was told sorry about my luck but that is normal wear and tear. I thought it came with a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty but that dies not include the bumpers. There are several other smaller quality issues with the truck that I feel should not have happened that have left me with a bad tase for GM products. We recently bought a used 09 Toyota Camry for the wife and going from one to the next it is clear that the quality difference is significant. I doubt I will ever buy another GM product based on my experience. Randy

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Our 2004 RAV4 is AWD. All four wheels are powered all the time, and are load sharing depending on traction needs. Our mileage is 22 city and 28 hwy. The 4 cyl is pretty peppy and we really like it. Our only major expense has been a routine brake job.

In 2006 Toyota changed it to an electronically controlled rear differential. it has what appears to be an overrunning clutch, but it has accelerometers that anticipate traction needs and thus it powers the rear axle BEFORE it is needed. By contrast, the Ford escape powers the rear axle AFTER you're already slipping. The 2006 system is still being used on the 2011 models. The link goes to a pdf document that explains how it works. In 2006 the RAV4 was increased in length (a plus) and the rear cargo door does not extend down as far 9a plus if you install a trailer hitch). It also has a more powerful V-6, which is a mixed blessing. It really gets up and goes, but, city mileage dropped to 19 and highway to 26.

As far as GM products go, my 1996 Astro Van was constantly needing the power window motors and their wiring harnesses replaced, and the engine cracked and leaked anti-freeze into the oil at 70K, requiring complete replacement. My 2002 Astro Van has been better and I'm still running it, but the rear differential had to be rebuilt (in fairness I am carrying a lot of tools and equipment). The rest of the family gave up on GM after having to get rid of a lemon Trailblazer and a lemon Silverado, both for chronic wiring harness failures. GM is trying to shave weight and costs and used too light of gauge wire and connectors.

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You need to make a choice based on what you want and need the vehicle to do. Is 4wd something you need? As for 4 cyl or 6cyl,yes better gas milage with a 4 but it won't last as long as the 6cyl. I have a 09 Ford Escape with 6cyl all wheel drive, City milage is 20 to 22 highway is 28 combined is 25 mpg.

12. kenf

kenf Active Member

A work truck here is the regular cab GMC Canyon, 2.5 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4wd. The truck can barely get out of its own way, 5th gear is useless unless your driving down a mountain trying to get away from a hurricane.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Another vote for the RAV 4/4WD w/4cyl. We bought a 2011 this winter and couldn't be happier. I will say if i lived in real hilly terrain i may have went for the V6 instead. That 4cyl does real well with it though. There is only 1-2 mpg difference between the 4 and 6 cyl. The all time 4WD is great and handled excellent this winter in snow and equally as well on rain slick roads. It sticks to the road like race car. Under $30,000 fully loaded leather, navigation etc. etc. Good luck getting anything near that much for under $40,000 with that GM.

14. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

Get a car from a company that is not run by Obama.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Get a car from a company that didn't stab little old lady bondholders in the back.

-Gary

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Those 2.2's have been around for a long time and are nearly bullet proof if they are still built the same.

17. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i have a 2011 equinox all wheel drive with 4 cylinder. love it. 23 mpg all around city and highway. a slight underpowered on a hill but not that bad. probably would not pull much of a trailer but as a great vehicle in the snow it is fantastic. Loved it in the winter and decided on all wheel rather then 2 wh drive. wanted to be sure. I have the basic vehicle and would do it again. motordoc

18. Erik W

Erik W Member

RemStar - which vehicle has the "bulletproof 2.2"? Thanks, Erik

19. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a RAV4 about four years ago. The difference in gas mileage between the six and the four was maybe 2 mpg. The difference in performance was huge! The six is the way to go. The RAV is a sound car. I usually don't buy rice burners because I'm 6'3" and none of the Tokyo crowd seems to plan for that. But, aside from Ford, the American car makers just can't seem to get the QC issue under control. Her RAV has two good features to take not of. First, although it's only 2 wheel drive, it does have a differential locking switch for those situations where you might need extra traction. Second, it also has an over-ride switch for descending steep inclines that may be wet or snow covered. It's a form of traction control. Does it work? Geez, I don't know. Here in SoCal my driveway is pretty flat and well, snow just doesn't fall much in the Santa Clarita valley so I've not tested it. The thing is, would I buy another RAV? The answer is yes. Drivability, durability and crash survivability all surpass what Detroit is offering at the same price point.

R j Talley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.