1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gene Hapney

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by houbyhunter, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houbyhunter

houbyhunter TS Member

Hap,
    I measured the distance from the top of the rib to the top of the comb and both the Beretta and the Perazzi are 1 7/16. Everything being parallel. Remember I removed 2mm from the Perazzi for doubles. I believe that it is a timimg problem and/or different sight picture. The only other difference in the two guns is the beretta has blacken beads.
    Suggestions?
    Randy

2. houbyhunter

houbyhunter TS Member

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Randy, attempting to get two different O/U guns set identically may not get the desired results your looking for! To do so, we must assume both are shooting to the exact same POI at 16 to 20 yards and beyond. I mention 16 to 20 yards because it's very easy to determine the working center of those patterns! You are correct, a minute change will affect either gun in shooting it at a moving target as it truly is a timing change! Just because we use the mid-bead as a tell all when it comes to the POI at various distances certainly can't mean the two are exactly alike? Dropping off 2 mm of shims may not work, timing wise as you say. I'd suggest trying it on a more ideal day when you know the clays aren't playing their wind blown tricks also? Once you are center punching both targets, your guns POI is set for your timing to the clays. When you get either O/U to that point, record all the comb/stock measurements for future references. Any weight gains or losses or extra winter clothing can be adjusted for fairly simple by making SMALL adjustments, one at a time and trying it again.

I can't shoot again today as my back/neck won't cooperate with my wishes so we'll work on getting the ideal setting for you under more consistent conditions at the club. Good luck my friend!

Gene Hapney

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hap--what are you doing working on a Sunday morning? You are supposed to be out smashing clays. Have a good day friend. :)