1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gen. Paul Tibbets dead at 92

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ChetH, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChetH

ChetH Member

Gen Paul Tibbets, Ohio trapshooter and the B-29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima in World War II died today at 92.

His passing is a great loss to all of us.

chet

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

His passing is a great loss. A true warrior and hero.

Knowing Gen Tibbits has been an honor I will cherish forever.

Godspeed Gen Tibbits. I salute you.

Jim

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I enjoyed meeting Gen. Tibbets and he is a genuine American hero. The risk he and his men took in defense of freedom was tremendous. Most of the the self proclaimed anti war crowd do not know the lives actually SAVED by forcing Japan to surrender preventing the need for an invasion of the Japanese home land. Also the death toll in the 2 atomic bomb blast was far less than the deaths in one raid when Tokyo was fire bombed. Gen. Tibbets was an avid shooter and frequent visitor to the Grand. He will be missed!

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

I had the pleasure of shooting skeet with GenerL Tibbits on a number of occasions, He was originally a skeet shooter and in fact used help Gen Patton and Col Omar Bradley. run the gin club at Ft Benning . He was also European skeet champion in the '50's. He will be missed.

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

One of my favorite books as a youn'un was Enola Gay...

We younger shooters (I'm 42) should CHERISH the ability we have to shoot with the living legends that are the WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans. Regardless of what your opinion is about whatever war a person served in, virtually all of these folks are true heroes who rolled up their sleeves and did what had to be done.

I shoot with several vets from different eras, and I thoroughly enjoy it...great guys with great outlooks on life.

They will ALL be missed, whenever their time comes.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

He was "The Man."

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I know my Dad was thankful that Gen. Tibbets dropped the bomb. He was on Okinawa, and his outfit was recouping from that campaign, and were thought to be the first outfit to hit Japan.

I probably wouldn't be here if they hadn't dropped the bomb.

I didn't know Mr. Tibbets was a trapshooter. I would have considered it an honor to have shot a round with him.

I heard on the news that he requested to be buried in an unmarked grave, so that the antiwar crowd couldn't use his grave site for demonstrations.

8. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

It was a honor to meet Paul Tibbets At the spring 06 Tulsa gun show. Paul had a table close to ours promoting his book. A few years ago at a air show in Eagan Minnesota I meet Pauls navigator Dutch Van Kirk. Van Kirk was also Pauls navigator in his B 17 the Red Gremlin.

As far as Dick Cheney getting kicked around on another thread you really have to consider who these posters are. Probably Code Pink members or supporters. And that includes you tgun90. Post your rants at Democratic underground were you belong.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

I read that he asked to be buried in an unmarked grave because he did not want it to be a gathering place for anti nuclear groups. Its interesting that John Wayne is also buried in an unmarked grave. Sad that some of our best Americans have trouble resting in peace.

TB

10. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**I read that he asked to be buried in an unmarked grave because he did not want it to be a gathering place for anti nuclear groups. Its interesting that John Wayne is also buried in an unmarked grave. Sad that some of our best Americans have trouble resting in peace.

TB**

Do you mean this grave? Click the link.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

this gentleman should be in the HOf.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

Smokerz:

I based my comments on a ABC documentary done on John Wayne some 10 years after his death. At that time there was no marker. According to the movie data base they did not put a marker on the grave until 1999 which was over 20 years after he died.

TB

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Godspeed to Mr. Tibbets and thank you for helping to stop the big war that had 20 million veterans. Like I've said before and heard it many times those boys and girls were the generation of heroes who never waited around for their medals. They just went back home and made this place the greatest on the planet to live and grow our families. WE applaud you and wish you well. Dan

14. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

Fellow Shooters,

I owe my life to General Tibbets as well.

My father, the late Reynold S. Greenspan, DO, was a medic in the 131st Engineers and on the way to the shores of Japan for the invasion.

Years hence, my father told me that no one in his platoon expected to survive the invasion.

Praise the LORD that they did.

Rest in pease, General!

Peter Greenspan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gen tibbits