1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GEICO INSURANCE-OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

This is a little off base from Trap Shooting but I know some of you may have delt with Geico Insurance. I am thinking of switching to them and would like some opinions of the company and service.
    Thanks Carey

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

All you should need to know is that they are anti-gun.

Ed

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Sad, but many of the major insurance companies are anti-gun,,,,I only have them on my motorcycle and they saved me $300 over Progressive (which is also anti-gun)....Does anyone have good coverage through a Pro-Gun carrier,,,,I would be willing to look....

4. Gramps

Gramps Member

They are expensive. I saved $300.00 and went with Travelers.

5. AveragEd

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, State Farm my not be pro-gun but at least they are not anti-gun.

Ironically, I went with them six years ago when I bought a new Hayabusa and most companies wanted $700+ per year just for liability and comprehensive coverage. At the suggestion of the dealer from whom I was purchasing the bike, I checked with State Farm. The local agent quoted me $144 per year and I went with it but fully expected a huge increase the following year. But the premium went DOWN to $111 because I had no claims during my first year with them, so I insured our cars and home with State Farm and have been with them ever since.

Ed

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In my second career after retiring from the insurance usiness I ran a company that owned 13 collision repair centers ( upscale body shops) I dealt with geico a lot and trust me, they are not good at settling claims. They use every loophole in the book to discount your claim. These are the companies that I first hand witnessed giving their insureds what they deserved without a hassle. American Family, State Farm, Farmers, Safeco, USAA, Hartford ,Erie American States, Cinncinatti Insurance. The best of the bunch is USAA but you have to be a member of a military family, second is Farmers. Stay completely away from Progressive, Allstate, Geico, AIG, Prudential& Nationwide. I cannot say enough good about USAA. They really treated their insureds with dignity, respect and honesty. I worked for AMFAM ( American Family) for 25 years and I remember my first day on the job as a beginner. I was handed a draft book and I asked who what should I deny and the reply was, just look for a reason to pay it and treat the customer like he or she was your mother or father. Thats a pretty good philosophy and it worked for me as a beginning claims adjuster all the way up to my final post as a Regional Claims Mgr. Things started changing a little about the time I retired in 2000 but I blame it on the competition. Companies like Geico who want to screw everybody made it hard to compete and that is where the industry is today. Everybody wants to go the cheapest route which forces good companies to act like bad ones to be profitble? You only get what you pay for so if you want shitty claims service when you need it, see the Geko or Progressives and learn the hard way

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I never thought to check on an Insurance Companies stance on 2nd amendment rights until your post Ed. It makes me wonder how many companies I patronize are on the wrong side of our rights as well….

If we disregard the 2nd amendment concern, shop all of the brand name companies and go with the one with the best rates. My habit is to shop every three years or so for the best deal among the prime insurers.

I hate insurance companies, all of them as they and law have us by the short hairs. I have no loyalty to any and go to the one with the best rates for the same level of coverage. Also check out going to a $1,000 dollar deductible (or more) as this can save quite a bit over a minimal value. Most of us who can afford to shoot regularly can scrape together a g-note if we need to.

Guy Babin

P.S. No offense intended cubancigar2000, or anyone else in the insurance business. I too like USAA.

8. AveragEd

I recently discovered - the hard way - that Erie treats their claimants fairly and Donegal Mutual does not.

Our son's 1999 Blazer LT was totaled by an Erie insured two years ago and when I told the adjuster that I thought their offer of $6,200 plus tax was too low due to the vehicle's equipment and condition and showed him auction reports from Manheim Auto Auction that indicated the same thing, they wound up paying me $9,600 for it.

About 18 months ago, my wife's 2000 Grand Am GT was totaled by a Donegal Mutual insured. They offered me $5,700 plus tax for it but that was less than vehicles in poorer condition or higher mileage or even an older model year were selling for at auction, and that's wholesale, not retail. We argued for weeks and I finally wrote their executive vice-president, who is a trapshooter, about it. He just referred my letter to the adjuster handling the claim.

I then sent my case to the Pennsylvania Insurance Commission. They agreed that the offer seemed about $1,500 too low but that they can only enter into a transaction between claimant and insurance company when the insurance company is refusing to admit liability when they should. Donegal was offering to pay us, so the PIC could not intervene. My wife eventually found a vehicle she wanted badly, so I grudgingly accepted their offer but am telling anyone who will listen about our experience with them.

Ed

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

After 23 years in law enforcement, I spent another few in Insurance Fraud. The two companies that I learned to respect for their handling of claims were; #1 USAA if you had military time and, #2 State Farm. I never considered the 2nd amendment in those recommendations but believe that both are at least silent on gun issues. I first discovered State Farm for my needs when AAA refused to insure my motorcycle.....breakemall.....:Bob Dodd

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Anti gun. On the list of businesses that are big contributors to the Brady bunch. Shoot the gecko.

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have to admit that bug-eyed amphibian with the funny accent has long ago become tedious.

I'll save my ammo Barry. Stomping it with my 13" steel toe boot would probably be more gratifying.

Guy B.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

GEICO = Government Employees Insurance Company

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Guy- The green character you referred to represents a reptile, not an amphibian.

Pat Ireland

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

oops! Can we agree on tedious and bug-eyed Pat?

Guy

15. atanra

atanra Member

ATA has affiliation with Nationwide. Members get rate discounts according to ATA.

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Geico cut's you no slack. If you miss a premium pay date they cancel you and double the premium if you want to reinstate your policy. I had auto insurance with Allstate and switched to State Farm when they offered more coverage for 40% less than I was paying Allstate.

Eric

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've used GEICO forever, never been screwed by them. Maybe because I'm retired military--they have a separate department for military-you just dial 1-800-military & you are there. Too bad about their anti-gun stance. You got me thinkin again. & that's dangerous. I really don't want to change companies. After the hurricanes in FL. & La. I was told to stay away from Allstate, State Farm & Nationwide. When REAL money is involved you better be right. Cars & guns are chicken feed, my guns are worth less than $50 K & our cars about the same. It really doesn't matter unless you need the insurance company's money to make you whole.

Phil Berkowitz

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When my son checked them out, he found that his premiums would likely triple for the same coverage. I hate their moronic TV ads too.

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Isn't GEICO one of Warren Buffet's companies? He might be a great investor and a nice guy but he is a big lib and Obama supporter. That is enough for me to stay away, and then to find out they are anti 2nd amendment.

Every other commercial on TV is either the cave man, or lizard. They spend all their money on ads and have none left for claims.

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Go AMICA. Best on the block. By far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.