1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Geico Ins

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by paramedic, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paramedic

paramedic TS Member

Just received a quote for car insurance that was half what i am paying. Anybody have any info on problems with that company. Thanks

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had them for the past 5 years. Wife totaled a car, no problems. Mike.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The company of many years ago was named: Government Employees Insurance Co. Thus GEICO. You had to be a gov't employee, were such at one time, or one relative could qualify the whole family. No experience with them since the 1960s; never had a claim or issue........breakemall

4. 1oz

1oz Member

Hadem for 30 years excellent record no claim ever hunting partner is an independent insurance man he was able to do better for the same coverage

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I went Insurance shopping and told my current carrier I was shopping - shazam they dropped my premium rates to match Geico (which was about 60% of what I had been paying). It pays to shop and wether you go with Geico or not get a quote from them to use against other carriers.

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

If they have it in your area, get a quote from Wawanesa.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had them for about 10 years..no claims other than a vandalism where kids were slashing tires...no problems but switched 2 years ago to Erie which was about 100 cheaper a year and with a lower deductable ($500 down to 250)

8. MSG Mosteller

MSG Mosteller TS Member

I have had them for the last 10 years, great service, I had one claim, they even refunded most of my premium while deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, I will stay with them.

1SG G.D. Mosteller, Jr.
    Bravo Company
    SHAPE BN, USA NATO
    Norfolk, VA 23551

9. MSG Mosteller

MSG Mosteller TS Member

I have had them for the last 10 years, great service, I had one claim, they even refunded most of my premium while deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, I will stay with them.

1SG G.D. Mosteller, Jr.
    Bravo Company
    SHAPE BN, USA NATO
    Norfolk, VA 23551

10. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

I have had them almost 10yrs....could not be happier with them. Had one claim.....18yr old kid backed up into a car.....paid promptly...all parties happy.....NO premium increase! I too, was an Allstate 'victim' for over 20yrs. Good riddance to those ripoff artists.....Jerry

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I guess the fact that they are anti-gun doesn't bother anyone.

Ed

12. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Ed..........Just in case you have not been out and about lately....the whole world is anti gun now. Every day now, there is a multi casualty domestic shooting on the news. Aligning with 'pro gun' companies and you will have about as many friends as a weekend ATA shoot. Just the way it is...time to quit looking the other way and sugar coating it.

13. cnsane

cnsane Member

And that's how we rationalize supporting things that are against our best interests

14. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

How does Geico compare to USAA? anybody?

Bob

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Way to admit you have thrown in the towel Mr. Parr. Shame on you.

16. AveragEd

Jerry, I am well aware that it is becoming harder with each passing year to find companies that at least are not anti-gun with which to do business. And finding a pro-gun firm is even tougher. But we cannot just look the other way or our children and grandchildren might not be able to enjoy some of the simple pleasures that we do - like being able to buy and own firearms.

Ed

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Are there any non anti-gun insurance companies out there? That would be price comparable to Geico? I go through every year or so and quote out the major carriers for kicks. I've yet to find any other carrier that isn't 2x what Geico is, for the same or lower coverage.

18. 1oz

1oz Member

Skeet Man all i can say is you must not be looking in the right places .Not trying to be smart either . Penn National is who i have my auto insurance with now. Could it be your age? Your record?

Jim

19. AveragEd

I've been with State Farm for almost 10 years. I shop my agent every two years or so and never have found anything less expensive. I will admit to never shopping Geico, however - I try to avoid such companies and even if I could save a few dollars, it isn't worth compromising my principles.

I got to State Farm by buying a motorcyle. The dealer from whom I bought it was a Progressive agent but he told me that if I had a good driving record, State Farm would beat his premium of $704 per year by hundreds of dollars. And he was right! I was able to insure a new Hayabusa - a 175-horsepower sportbike that can run nine-second quarter-miles - with everything but collision and with high limits for $171 a year. And when I renewed the following year and had been claim-free, the premium dropped to $144! I also found that adding collision would only raise my premium to $204. At that point, I switched all our coverage to State Farm and saved on the auto and home insurance as well.

I have NO love for insurance companies. I've been hosed by them as a claimant just as most of us have. But so far, when I've needed them, State Farm has treated me fairly.

Ed

20. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Matt/Ed.....it is not throwing in the towel. It is being realistic. Huge difference. I could give a whole economic rendition on the dangers of tampering with business natural selection. Imagine supporting an underachieving, non competitive business, purely on a political, or personal agenda...the healthy, streamlined, well structured business wilts, and goes away. Now you are left with the over priced poor product that knows no competition. Now you are REALLY in for a ride on pricing and performance. Do you remember the domestic debacle of the 80's, 90's GM, Ford, and Dodge products? I had a Hertz dealership that rented only factory new cars..under 20K miles. Sadly, 90% of them would not make it a week before spending 2 weeks in the dealership for warranty fix on the junk. This is a result of people supporting sub standard products just because 'I am buying US'. How did that work out? By the way not everything is as it appears. I bought US....my GMC Yukon says it is assembled in Canada, and my Roush 427 Mustang's supercharged motor, and transmission are assembled in Mexico. Until we stop policing the world, sending foreign aid to countries while we have vets sleeping on cardboard under bridges, allowing millions of jobs and corporations to leave our country, manufacture a product, then pump it back into U.S. with no sanctions, or tarrifs, make no serious effort to stem the onslaught of illegal aliens, disallow the harvesting of billions of barrels of crude in Alaska, coast of Santa Barbara, etc. because of 'environmental' concerns (forcing us to support hostile Middle East entities), housing refi crash (Read the growing American propensity to want something NOW, and worry about paying for it later through seconds on their mortgages)........I can go on and on. It is an absolute tragedy how many sacrifices our fathers, and forefathers gave, and this is where we are at. I believe strongly in our right to bear arms. I also believe strongly in the need for political reform, and accountability of our government to provide Constitutional backbone and affirmation. I do not believe sanctioning a US business, delivering an exemplary product, at excellent value, is the correct approach. Until we start turning the tide on the aforementioned sampling of problems in this country, shooting cans in the backyard is going to be the very least of our concerns.........Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.