1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Geese Gone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

The areas around our CEMENT POND are loaded with goose poop - and there WERE hundreds of them in the water on the ice. Ten minutes of rock tossing and they all left. Next step, paintballs and my slingshot.

Larry Frieders |

Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |

340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My oncologist had the same problem with ducks, right in the middle on N Dallas, his family thought how cute and neat they were, I told him he needed to get rid of them because if they hatch the nest they will come back every year, he ignored my advise and had a he&* of a mess to clean for quite a few years, his family was a bunch of tree huggers

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Be nice to the birds, they have families. HMB

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Don't get arrested for harassing wildlife.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Put glue all around the pond. Use a paint brush and apply it liberally. I actually seen this work in a cartoon once.

6. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

OK Tron,

You hooked me, what the hell does the glue do?

7. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Hooked one Tron.....

8. cnsane

cnsane Member

State Park beaches used to be clean, raked brown sand. Now they're a layer of green goose $h!+ from end to end. Poisoned grain would be my choice if the damned geese weren't federally protected.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The squirrels were eating all my wild bird feed. So, I greased the mono holding the feeder and the top of the feeder. I don't think I have ever seen anything so funny as those squirrels trying to get to the bird feed...

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Anybody funnier than Tron? what a crackup. Bill

11. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I have never tried it but I know an old guy who claims to put grain in the bottom of a bucket and pour a bottle of cheap vodka over it and let it soak for two days. Then spread out the grain and when the birds eat it they go lay down and go to sleep. You then can walk out there and just pick them up.

He had a bunch of quail and wild turkeys in a huge cage and he claimed that is how he caught them.

12. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

huntinandhotrods,

There used to be an old guy that lived in the mountains that would catch wild hogs on big fish hooks. He would put some bait on a big hook and throw it out on a rope, when one was hooked it would just pull back against the rope and SQUEAL and he would go out and shoot it with a 22. He caught quite a few that way.

13. greendrake

greendrake Member

I used to drive from buffalo to toronto canada quite a lot and one day i saw a Terminex truck parked with an employee working an australian shepard over about 50 canada geese. The geese didn't want to leave but did. I stopped and asked him and he said most of his business was on golf courses. After several times of his dog chasing off the poopers they give up and go elsewhere permanently. Ontario doesn't like weapons, much less firing them, and this seemed terribly humane.

14. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

If you grease up the bank real good then the ducks and gooses can't climb out and use your property as their private latrine. This also works on muskrats, although the 'rats are smarter than the waterfowl. They know enough to dig a tunnel under the bank and come out beyond your slick stuff. This is the real reason why people need 55 round mags and "muskrat assault rifle thingeys".

Someone on the interweb says this is really true.

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Umm Breast them out and then split. Recipie calls for a can of black cherries and of course onions and garlic etc and bake in glass dish etc etc. Can't quite remember the whole recipie? calls for but yum yum!!!!!!

16. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

From April to December, I am the "governess" to about 120 wild mallards
    and about 40 - 50 Canada's, who return every year to my farm, mate and raise their young 'uns here.

I take great delight when they come speed-waddling up from the pond to my yard when i call them to come eat. Most will eat out of my hand. And once the kids are hatched, the parents bring them up to the side door from the pond for introductions (and food!).

If i kept my pond open over winter, i'm sure they'd be year-long guests.
    Today with the warm spell, part of the pond did thaw and 22 of my regular geese returned for the day (and food!).

Yes, their droppings can be messy, but on the plus side for gardeners, goose poop is absolutely fantastic for rose bushes.

You boys can feed 'em lead - i prefer to feed them cracked corn.

ontariogal_2008_03032.jpg

17. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

They sell fake gator heads you put out in the middle of you ponds. Birds are scared of them and will not come in. It even works even in Wiscconsin.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ontariogal,

Isn't it nice to see how smart the birds are when they are teaching their kids basic bird things. HMB

19. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Sure is HMB! This is Bonnie, the matriarch of the gaggle, bringing her kids to me for their first hand-feed.

ontariogal_2008_03033.jpg

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I raised some guinea hens to take care of the tick problem in my yard. When the babies were born as soon as they could walk the mother and father took them out on bug patrol.

Then they gave the babies flying lessons. They used the stair case to my deck, showing how to fly up one stair and then two stairs at a time. Then from the ground to the deck, and then from the deck to the roof of the house. It was truely amazing. If one of the babies made a mistake, they would take him aside and have a talk with him. HMB