1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GB's Peter Wilson claims double trap gold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Shooter Peter Wilson won Britain's fourth gold medal of the London Olympics with victory in the double trap competition.

The Dorset man finished two shots clear of Sweden's Hakan Dahlby. Russia's Vasily Mosin was third.

Wilson, 25, had finished the qualifying stage three shots clear and held off Dahlby's challenge to seal gold.

It is Britain's first Olympic shooting medal since Richard Faulds triumphed in the same event in Sydney 12 years ago.

Faulds failed to reach the six-man final at the Royal Artillery Barracks after finishing 12th in qualifying with a score of 133 in his fifth Olympics.

Wilson came into the event as world record holder and world number two and was the youngest man in the final.

World number one Josh Richmond and reigning Olympic champion Walton Eller, both of the United States, failed to make the final.

2. Joe Potosky

The 6ft 6in shotgun shooter led for the majority of the trap shooting competition with Swede Hakan Dahlby nipping at his heels for the duration.
    As it came down to the final stage, Wilson, who spent the last year training in Dubai, needed to make one shot of the two to take the gold, and was already assured of a medal.

So what did he do? He kept his composure and made both with aplomb, sealing Britain's latest gold after Team GB won their first yesterday.
    Scoring an impressive 188 out of 200 in the final, Wilson became the Olympic champion in his debut Games - no mean feat.
    By his own admission, he owes his success to a rather unusual source: a Middle Eastern prince.

Sheikh Ahmed bin Mohammed bin Hasher Al Maktoum is a member of Dubai’s ruling family and is an Olympic champion himself. The 48-year-old won gold in Athens 2004 and, upon his retirement after Beijing, agreed to coach Peter, the son of a Dorset farmer – for free.

Wilson dropped to his knees as he won gold medal in the men's double trap while his family jumped to their feet in delight.

In a tense and close-run final round Wilson won with a score of 188, ahead of Dahlby on 186 and Russia's Vasily Mosin on 185 in south east London.

A group of relatives made a special trip from Sydney, Australia, to watch the hard-working 25-year-old from Dorset make his dream come true.

Sarah Sherwood, his cousin and godmother, said: 'I am ecstatic, really proud and I knew he would do it.'

Ms Sherwood, who proudly painted a Union flag in the shape of a loveheart on her sleeve to support Wilson, said: 'He has such focus. He has a real talent, great technique and has kept his cool under pressure.

'He is lots of fun, has a great sense of humour has always had a lot of support from people from the beginning of his career.

'I think it (winning an Olympic gold) is pretty special and he is pretty special.'

When victory came, Wilson looked up and applauded the crowd, smiled and waved a single finger in the air to show that he was now number one.

The crowd, waving Union flags, started to chant 'Peter, Peter, Peter' as his Swedish rival raised the Briton's arm in the air.

3. Joe Potosky

Mosin edged Kuwait's Aldeehani, who missed with his second shot in the shoot off to claim bronze. The Kuwaiti, though, felt hard done by after being forced to borrow a gun from fellow competitor Qatari Rashid Al Athba after scoring 140 in the heats.

"My gun broke on the last round of the qualification and I missed four shots, dropping me down several places," he said.

"It was some place in the action that broke. The manufacturer was here and said they had never seen anything like it before."

"(The borrowed gun) was not the right feeling for me and I should have been leading the competition."

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

What gun broke? What broke? How is it possible that he does not have a back-up gun for the freakin' Olympics!!!

5. Joe Potosky

RE: Where can we see a video of the finals?

http://www.nbcolympics.com

You have to sign. Replays available for all the sports, to include skeet and trap.

6. Dmcdanielctg

Dmcdanielctg TS Member

Acording to Perazzi's web site, Al Athba & Aldeehani both shoot MX2005's.

7. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Every shooter in the final was shooting a Perazzi.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would think for most shooters traveling internationally, bring one gun with them is difficult enough, more than one might be impossible. I'm sure most carry spare triggers, firing pins, ect, anything that can be replaced quickly. You don't have much time once you have a malfunction, so even if you had a spare, you'd have to carry it with you and basically have it within arms reach should your gun go down.

I would think he'd at least swap stocks and use his own, if not barrels as well if possible.

So much for Perazzis being infallible LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.